LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 260 users in the forums

Coby Fleener - TE Stanford

Originally posted by communist:
Who said that Fleener runs a 4.5???

Not saying he will, but I iz starting to think "just maybe".

"He has unbelievable speed for a guy his size," outside linebacker Chase Thomas said. Safety Michael Thomas calls Fleener "the second fastest offensive player we have" after Chris Owusu. Fleener put on a show in Miami in January, catching three long TD passes from Andrew Luck to turn a win into a rout. Now sporting shoulder-length hair, he scored again in the opener against San Jose State and did it two more times against Duke.

Besides his deceptive speed, he has great hands and timing, Luck said. "I know he played basketball in high school, so he does a great job with body control in the air in terms of jumping and catching the ball and staying on his feet. He uses his athleticism to the fullest when the ball is in the air. That's why he's scoring touchdowns." Until his senior year of high school, Fleener thought his future was in basketball. His background on the court helps his football only so much, he said. "There are certain aspects that translate well, when you go up and jump for the ball," he said. "Some things don't translate well. You have to block and hit in ways you can't in basketball."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/09/14/SP451L4FHG.DTL#ixzz1klhyXigC
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Not saying he will, but I iz starting to think "just maybe".

"He has unbelievable speed for a guy his size," outside linebacker Chase Thomas said. Safety Michael Thomas calls Fleener "the second fastest offensive player we have" after Chris Owusu. Fleener put on a show in Miami in January, catching three long TD passes from Andrew Luck to turn a win into a rout. Now sporting shoulder-length hair, he scored again in the opener against San Jose State and did it two more times against Duke.

Besides his deceptive speed, he has great hands and timing, Luck said. "I know he played basketball in high school, so he does a great job with body control in the air in terms of jumping and catching the ball and staying on his feet. He uses his athleticism to the fullest when the ball is in the air. That's why he's scoring touchdowns." Until his senior year of high school, Fleener thought his future was in basketball. His background on the court helps his football only so much, he said. "There are certain aspects that translate well, when you go up and jump for the ball," he said. "Some things don't translate well. You have to block and hit in ways you can't in basketball."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/09/14/SP451L4FHG.DTL#ixzz1klhyXigC

my dream draft is getting kendall wright sanu or alshon jeffery in first and fleener in second

if we get sanu ir jeffery we need a WR that is a deep threat to strech the field and pull the safties a bit later in draft or FA like eddie royal or maybe in the draft hilton or joe adams
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
my dream draft is getting kendall wright sanu or alshon jeffery in first and fleener in second

if we get sanu ir jeffery we need a WR that is a deep threat to strech the field and pull the safties a bit later in draft or FA like eddie royal or maybe in the draft hilton or joe adams

My ideal (tempered realism) blueprint is getting a lil more far-fetched as the Senior Bowl practices played out.

- re-sign - Alex Smith / Joshua Morgan / Carlos Rogers / Ahmad Brooks / Larry Grant
- F-tag Goldson
- sign FA / Robert Meachem

- draft Mike Adams {rd 1} --- (slide Davis to RG and start Boone at RT)
- draft Coby Fleener {rd 2} --- (our new Jimmy Graham to play opposite of VD)
- draft Tommy Streeter / Stephen Hill / Juron Criner {rd 3}
- draft Jake Bequette / Julian Miller / Shea McClellin {rd 4}
If Fleener runs a "clear" 4.5, I would send him to some drug test once a day, every day til the draft...

Then again, Graham ran a 4.53 and he was picked at the end of the 3rd round???
[ Edited by communist on Jan 28, 2012 at 9:01 AM ]
I would be down with taking him in the first. He would make our offense ridiculous.
I'm down for any high value Offensive weapon....TE,WR,RB. In Balke i trust
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by sfout:
But we do have a need for #2...

But whoever mentioned New England is right, that is the offense that Harbaugh runs. 2 TE set with multiple looks, very little need for WRs, it's why we won 13 games with arguably the worst group of receivers in the league.
It's not like we don't have any GLARING holes.

We won especially b/c 1)our defense was not only stout against the run but solid against the pass as well and 2)Alex had his great moments and didnt make poor decisions.

Plz don't start thinking that TEs are undefendable...Just bring more LBs or SS on the field and we will see what will happen.

Which is why if Fleener is one of the BPA I say we take him for insurance and if nothing else he would BOOST our offensive attack.
Which is why if Fleener is one of the BPA I say we take him for insurance and if nothing else he would BOOST our offensive attack.

If Walker leaves next year, 49ers have Davis, Byham and Reuland at tight-end.....why not be proactive instead? There are about 3 elite tight-ends in this draft, Fleener, Allen and Charles. There are a few top WR's, all of who will be gone before the 49ers 1st pick and about 6-12 guys in the second tier, one of whom will be available for their 2nd rounder. Why not get the guy who is the closest thing to a sure-fire star first and then worry about WR later. In the 2nd round, a guy like Streeter, Hill or McNutt will definitely be available.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 28, 2012 at 12:37 PM ]
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

If Walker leaves next year, 49ers have Davis, Byham and Reuland at tight-end.....why not be proactive instead? There are about 3 elite tight-ends in this draft, Fleener, Allen and Charles. There are a few top WR's, all of who will be gone before the 49ers 1st pick and about 6-12 guys in the second tier, one of whom will be available for their 2nd rounder. Why not get the guy who is the closest thing to a sure-fire star first and then worry about WR later. In the 2nd round, a guy like Streeter, Hill or McNutt will definitely be available.

I refer anyone who is for the idea of drafting a TE to OTC's thread. He suggests moving Byham to a FB/TE role in place of Moran Norris while drafting a TE like Fleener/Allen/Charles or even LaDarius Green. That way we have VD/Walker/Rookie and Reuland on PS or maybe active roster then Miller and Byham at FB.

---
EDIT:

Local media piece(grant cohn) on the idea of drafting Coby Fleener!!!!

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2012/01/inside-the-49ers/how-the-niners-offense-can-improve-on-third-down-and-in-red-zone/

Main chunk of the piece on Fleener.....Cohn even suggests the possibility of signing Colston...

Here's where Coby Fleener comes in. No matter what happens with Carlos Rogers, the Niners should draft Fleener in the first round.

But the Niners already have Vernon Davis and Delanie walker, you say. They don't need another tight end.

What the Niners need is to improve their offense, especially on third downs and in the red zone.

Fleener would do that.

He's 6'6", he's fast, and he can play tight end or wide receiver. He's bigger and faster than any wide receiver who likely would be available at the 30th pick of the first round.

Plus, he's a much better receiver than Walker, the Niners current No. 2 tight end, who is short for the position, plus he drops passes.

Fleener is not as good of a blocker as Walker or Davis. But the Niners don't need more blocking. They need more getting open and more catching. Fleener is known for both those things.

According to the Associated Press' Antonio Gonzalez, who covered Stanford Football this season, the Cardinal players called Fleener "deceivingly fast," and "the second fastest player on the team."

Gonzalez says Fleener ran past linebackers easily – he even blew by safeties. So, by the end of his college career opposing defenses covered him with cornerbacks.

Fleener stretches the field just like Vernon Davis. If the Niners have both guys, neither one could be double teamed.

Imagine this shotgun formation on third down and long: Fleener and Davis at tight end, Colston at split end, Joshua Morgan at flanker and Michael Crabtree in the slot. Alex Smith could easily find good one-on-one matchups with that personnel.

If the Niners draft Fleener, they'll have the best tight end corps in the NFL – better than the Patriots' group with Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez.

If the Niners also sign Colston, they'll be a good third down and red zone offense. They'd have too much talent not to be.

"Good" is a big improvement from "dreadful," which is what the Niners offense was on third downs and in the red zone this past season. If the Niners can go from "dreadful" to "good" in those areas, they'll have no holes on their team.

And if all it takes to make that possible is Rogers signing somewhere else, it will be worth it for the Niners, don't you think?
[ Edited by sfout on Jan 28, 2012 at 1:22 PM ]
im on this train like a mofo right now

Originally posted by monsterzero789:
im on this train like a mofo right now

Liking the idea of adding another tall and fast tight end for the team.
Originally posted by tohara3:

we dont havea tall TE vernon is 6 4 so i guess hes kind of tall but definitally isnt tall
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by tohara3:

we dont havea tall TE vernon is 6 4 so i guess hes kind of tall but definitally isnt tall

6-3 actually. Tall-ish, but not so much for a TE. Most TE's are 6-4 and up. Regardless, Vernon is an elite talent hands down. I like the idea too of adding another monster at the position that can be a hybrid TE/WR.

That goal-line set would look insane. Whether it's Byham or Delanie in as the H-back, we could disguise it as a run and have Vernon and Fleener streaking down the field or running deep crossing routes. Love the possibilities.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
6-3 actually. Tall-ish, but not so much for a TE. Most TE's are 6-4 and up. Regardless, Vernon is an elite talent hands down. I like the idea too of adding another monster at the position that can be a hybrid TE/WR.

That goal-line set would look insane. Whether it's Byham or Delanie in as the H-back, we could disguise it as a run and have Vernon and Fleener streaking down the field or running deep crossing routes. Love the possibilities.

One of main reasons I prefer Fleener over a WR, gives many more options as far as the offense is concerned. Hell, line Fleener up at WR and let a 6 foot corner try to stop him in the endzone.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Personally, I don't think folks have to worry. I do not think Fleener will run in the 4.5's -- maybe 4.64-4.67 at the combine. Either way, we do not have to force ANY issue during this draft. Although we could trade up if there's a player we really want (such as Floyd or Wright, but I think both are Top-20 locks right now).

Right now, I am actually an advocate of considering Orson Charles, TE of Georgia in the 2nd as a type of Aaron Hernandez guy we could use in our offense in addition to Vernon and Delanie. Hernandez measured in at 6-3 245 4.64 at the combine. Charles is 6-3 242 and runs an estimated 4.64. We'll see what happens at the combine but he could very well match those Hernandez measurables.

Either way, whether it's 1 TE and 1 WR or 2 WR, I want us to get TWO receiving weapons added this off-season. We have to see that this is something we must do after having EVERY receiver go down at some point with injuries this year. (Crabtree - foot, Morgan - leg, Ginn - knee/ankle, Williams - hamstring/head, Braylon - knee/shoulder, Delanie - jaw, Byham - knee, Bogan - knee) ... As much as we need another dominant starter at WR, we BADLY need INSURANCE for these starters too.

Right on, OTC. I mentioned Orson Charles too. I don't know if he's athletic as Hernandez, where you can possibly use him out of the backfield, but that would be such a huge plus. Versatile tight ends make me
Share 49ersWebzone