LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 250 users in the forums

Coby Fleener - TE Stanford

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Delanie Walker is the REASON we run so many multiple TE sets.

Good point, Harbaugh was never known for utilizing multiple TE sets until he came to the 49ers, I mean Stanford is just loaded with WR's....did they even have a TE on their roster??????

Also even though Delanie can go half a season without making a single catch and gets regularly shutdown 1-1 vs a safety, he's the only one that could manage to play the #2 TE position for the 49ers, I mean where else are you going to find a 6 foot tall TE?????

The nostalgia on this website for scrub players never fails to amaze me.

Dude you've only been here since 2010
The one thing about Fleener, is that he can play in the slot or on the outside or the inside. With Harbaugh you can expect him to do that. Ok he cant block but that is a skill that can be taught. I am on board whoever we pick with our first.
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Grant Cohn just mocked the 49ers trading Delanie Walker & a 4th rounder to the Pittsburgh Steelers to move up and grab Coby Fleener.

My head just exploded... and I'm currently picking up the pieces.

Sold!
Dude you've only been here since 2010

Under this nickname, I've been lurking around here since about 2007.
Grant Cohn just mocked the 49ers trading Delanie Walker & a 4th rounder to the Pittsburgh Steelers to move up and grab Coby Fleener.

My head just exploded... and I'm currently picking up the pieces.

Sold!

You don't seriously think that's a possibility do you?

No, because nobody else outside the Webzone is going to overvalue a mediocre 2nd string TE like that.

No, because nobody else outside the Webzone is going to overvalue a mediocre 2nd string TE like that.

So lets assumed that we have Fleener and VD. Who will take the Delanie Walker role. Remember the guy does the run blocking, pass protection, and pass catching. Anyone one of these is possible when he's in there with VD. His role is to be a versatile #2 team player without the individual, sexy pass catching numbers, so that VD can be more of a weapon in the pass catching area without being locked into the other 2 area too much.

So you have Fleener and VD. Who will do the grunt work. Sacrifice some individual numbers for the good of the team. Obviously they can both be out on a pattern and also be interchangeable, but at some point one guy has to do more of the blocking in place of the other. Who do you give the ball more to...
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
So lets assumed that we have Fleener and VD. Who will take the Delanie Walker role. Remember the guy does the run blocking, pass protection, and pass catching. Anyone one of these is possible when he's in there with VD. His role is to be a versatile #2 team player without the individual, sexy pass catching numbers, so that VD can be more of a weapon in the pass catching area without being locked into the other 2 area too much.

So you have Fleener and VD. Who will do the grunt work. Sacrifice some individual numbers for the good of the team. Obviously they can both be out on a pattern and also be interchangeable, but at some point one guy has to do more of the blocking in place of the other. Who do you give the ball more to...

Ideally both should do "grunt work." If you look at the logic behind Harbaugh's system, it's the dual-threat ability that is crucial. The TE can be in there to block...but the TE can also go out on a route and the defense doesn't really know which will happen. With Walker in there, its so much easier to defend due to his size, you put a safety on the guy if he does go out on a route and you'll be fine, you can't say the same with Fleener or VD. You can't really cover either with most linebackers and both are physical and too big...especially Fleener, for a single CB or S to handle on their own.

Defenses will have to react by backing off a bit or they get burnt when one of these guys breaks through coverage or you wind up with some mismatch down the field. That versatility will help Gore, teams won't be able to stack the box as much, it will also help the WR's on the field as the defense will have to spread their attention to everyone and it makes it really difficult on a defense when the two best receivers are both tight-ends, that's extremely difficult to defend.

Football is all about mismatches, you put a big receiving target at TE at the same time as VD and now the defense truly has to pick their poison.
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

VD should do the grunt work.

Fleener>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>VD

Delanie Walker is the REASON we run so many multiple TE sets.

Good point, Harbaugh was never known for utilizing multiple TE sets until he came to the 49ers, I mean Stanford is just loaded with WR's....did they even have a TE on their roster??????

Also even though Delanie can go half a season without making a single catch and gets regularly shutdown 1-1 vs a safety, he's the only one that could manage to play the #2 TE position for the 49ers, I mean where else are you going to find a 6 foot tall TE??? Totally irreplaceable. Harbaugh owes Delanie a lot for helping him develop the offensive philosophy that made this team so effective, where else outside of the 5th round can you find talent like that???

The nostalgia on this website for scrub players never fails to amaze me.

The nostalgia on this website for men running fast in their underwear never fails to amaze me.

Tell me what is wrong with a #2 TE who gets wide open on seem routes down the middle? Tell me what is wrong with a #2TE that blocks as well or better than any other TE his size in the NFL?

IF the ball comes his way, that is a big "if", Delanie Walker is as talented as any other #2 TE in the league.

Will Fleener be better? Probably. Do we desperately need him? Absolutely not.
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
The nostalgia on this website for men running fast in their underwear never fails to amaze me.

Tell me what is wrong with a #2 TE who gets wide open on seem routes down the middle? Tell me what is wrong with a #2TE that blocks as well or better than any other TE his size in the NFL?

IF the ball comes his way, that is a big "if", Delanie Walker is as talented as any other #2 TE in the league.

Will Fleener be better? Probably. Do we desperately need him? Absolutely not.

I never got all the hate for Delanie. Is he great? no. Is he a good #2 TE? yes. Is Fleener good? yes, Do we need him? no.

Again, I'd be fine with Fleener if Vernon was old or sucked but neither is the case.
72 pages and counting. Official Alex Smith thread begins to worry.
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
72 pages and counting. Official Alex Smith thread begins to worry.

I really really really really really hope he's available at 30 and we pass on him. Better yet, I hope he's there and we trade out and the team trading in our spot takes him.

This place will go CRAY.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
72 pages and counting. Official CENSORED thread begins to worry.

Don't worry, it will soon turn into one.
Share 49ersWebzone