There are 84 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Coby Fleener - TE Stanford

Fleener put up so so numbers with the best quarterback in the country throwing to him. He was also the main target. He's rated as the 2nd best TE. I would rather have Dwayne Allen. Bigger, faster. We would be reaching at 30, and he'll be gone by 62 I think. Doubtful, but Harbaugh knows this kid. So if we draft him, I'll trust that. But I doubt it
What about Green out of Louisiana Laf.? Just looking at his size and speed and would be available in later rounds.
To be honest, I don't know why we want to go after Fleener when we already have Reuland. Reuland probably has better hands than Fleener.
Originally posted by Bootlegger:
To be honest, I don't know why we want to go after Fleener when we already have Reuland. Reuland probably has better hands than Fleener.

Thats like saying you wouldn't mind having Walker over VD....
If we can get him in the 3rd, I'd take him for sure. I'd even consider it in the 2nd, depending on who was there. We need a couple of things on offense, some speed to help stretch the field and a big red zone target.

I am sure I am in the minority, but I am still not sold on Delanie Walker. He came out of college too slow to play WR, and not a good enough blocker to be a TE. He has improved his blocking skills a lot, I will give him that. But he still drops a lot of balls and just doesn't seem a consistent threat. People always say he is a match up problem "as a second tight end", which means without Vernon he wouldn't be as much of a problem. With Fleeer's size, he would be a match up problem on his own.
Originally posted by Bootlegger:
To be honest, I don't know why we want to go after Fleener when we already have Reuland. Reuland probably has better hands than Fleener.

YEA thats why Reuland was drafted and on the roster this past season
Fleener can play WR, he is only ten pounds bigger than T.O.

When we put in our three TE package (VD/DW/Fleener) it would cause all kinds of confusion for any defense!
We definitely could use a second PASS CATCHING TE that can operate in the middle and under zones. Think Jimmy Graham. His height and hands automatically makes him an open receiver as soon as he walks to the LOS.

More and more, with rule changes protecting defenseless receivers, the game is played in the air. That means a tall guy with basketball skills: Hands, box out, body shield. all of that.
Originally posted by dj43:
We definitely could use a second PASS CATCHING TE that can operate in the middle and under zones. Think Jimmy Graham. His height and hands automatically makes him an open receiver as soon as he walks to the LOS.

More and more, with rule changes protecting defenseless receivers, the game is played in the air. That means a tall guy with basketball skills: Hands, box out, body shield. all of that.
This. Would create all sorts of headaches for defensive coordinators. You have VD, and then you have Crabtree and then you have Morgan or whatever rookie the 49ers end up with and then you have this 6'6" guy running great routes........adding someone like Fleener would be a HUGE boost to the offense and since he's been playing in a pro-style offense, he'd be ready to go.
We might lose DW in free agency eventually. So I think Fleener really is in play. We could pick him for sure. Why wouldn't we want a tall TE with great hands. He's taller and has better hands than DW. Walker is faster but Fleener is not slow. They just do it in different ways.
Originally posted by Bootlegger:
To be honest, I don't know why we want to go after Fleener when we already have Reuland. Reuland probably has better hands than Fleener.

People keep saying this and its patently ridiculous. Fleener looks like a potential star at TE, Reuland isn't even on Bear Pascoe level yet.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
We might lose DW in free agency eventually. So I think Fleener really is in play. We could pick him for sure. Why wouldn't we want a tall TE with great hands. He's taller and has better hands than DW. Walker is faster but Fleener is not slow. They just do it in different ways.

The reason why I like Fleener is because he would be a great counter TE to VD. VD is a speed guy with sometimes questionable route running or hands and so is Delanie Walker. Fleener would be that very, very tall TE with great hands and route running ability. I would rather have VD and Fleener, than VD and Walker, who is the same type of TE as VD for the most part. Also, Fleener would be a better redzone target than all of them due to his size alone and he knows Harbaugh's system very well.

Niners most likely won't get him, but it would be cool if they did, since the TE position is so important in Harbaugh's sytem, and let Delanie go.
Didnt know that DW is only at 6-0...Since when are TEs that small???

Even if we lose Walker to FA, I dont wanna go for a TE in the 1st or the 2nd round unless he is clearly BPA.
Love the idea of adding a Jimmy Graham, Rob Gronkowski type tight end but I'm not seeing with Fleener.

For the time being we're set at tight end so I'm taking that high pick and applying it elsewhere.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Love the idea of adding a Jimmy Graham, Rob Gronkowski type tight end but I'm not seeing with Fleener.

For the time being we're set at tight end so I'm taking that high pick and applying it elsewhere.

How are we set at TE? Delanie Walker is a free agent and there are no guarantees the Niners are going to resign him.
[ Edited by RedWaltz24 on Jan 26, 2012 at 5:57 PM ]