LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 264 users in the forums

Coby Fleener - TE Stanford

next year we will have VD, Walker and Nate Byham will be back, we dont need another TE
Originally posted by valrod33:
next year we will have VD, Walker and Nate Byham will be back, we dont need another TE
The draft and FA is about upgrading your team. If Fleener is available in the 5th or 6th round of the draft and he is the BPA, then he should be drafted. Worst comes to worse he is cut, or is on the PS. Best case scenario he becomes the red zone target for the qb.

Walker is not signed long term, and could be used as a WR or HB if Fleener is a TE.
Originally posted by 9erred:
The draft and FA is about upgrading your team. If Fleener is available in the 5th or 6th round of the draft and he is the BPA, then he should be drafted. Worst comes to worse he is cut, or is on the PS. Best case scenario he becomes the red zone target for the qb.

Walker is not signed long term, and could be used as a WR or HB if Fleener is a TE.
i dont see Fleener being around in the 5th or 6th. Would love him on the 9ers but we got more pressing needs then a 3rd string TE
Originally posted by 9erred:

No way is Fleener there in the 5th or 6th. He'll be selected in the 3rd. With his size, strength, and receiving abilities, no way does he fall all the way to the 5th.
We have to get this guy!

I like that he's tall and seems like a very natural athlete who would make a dynamic duo with VD. Getting another dependable middle of the field threat will be huge for our offense and will help take some pressure off Vernon. Get it done Baalke!!!!
Two tight ends works for the Pats. Working the middle of the field is hard. Fleener would create mismatch problems that may help VD.
I agree that 2 capable and physically imposing TE's out on the field at the same time is a nightmare for the defense but I think that this team ultimately has more pressing needs to be giving up a 2nd rounder on a guy, which is where Fleener will be picked, if not earlier. Now in the 3rd or 4th, I'd be fine with it if the guy is a very good player.

1st round I want to see cornerback/safety/wide receiver

2nd round I want to see whichever of those 3 wasn't picked in the first

3rd round I want to see cornerback/offensive guard/defensive end..

and so on.
I still think WR is a pressing need but I hope the niners actually get Fleener all he could do is help the niners especially VD, I wouldn't mind picking him in the 2nd or 3rd round. Delanie Walker is good and all but he mostly blocks, with Fleener he'll block but also give opposing D's problems because of his height and athleticism. Our TE corps would be the best in the NFL with VD's speed,physicality and athleticism, along with Fleeners size,good hands and as well as his athleticism they would be uncoverable in the same team.
he would be a solid red zone target. if we get him and someone like dwight jones, we will have a solid receiving core for years to come

I'd be down with using a high draft choice on him. Most sites I've seen have him projected to go late 1st or early 2nd round.

The 2nd TE in Harbaugh's offense gets a lot of snaps, way more than the 3rd WR, and is basically a starter. We could have a Gronkowski/Hernandez type of TE combo if we draft Fleener.

Not to mention at 6'6" w/ his hands and athleticism, he is exactly the kind of redzone target this team desperately needs.

I hope we don't lose any of our defensive starters so we can focus on adding more talent to the offense, particularly WR and TE.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Jan 24, 2012 at 2:14 AM ]
There are TEs out there who are more athletic and could be available at the end of the 3rd. Just spend a look at Egnew or Green. If 6-3 are indeed enough, you can spend a look at Orson Charles.
Originally posted by communist:
There are TEs out there who are more athletic and could be available at the end of the 3rd. Just spend a look at Egnew or Green. If 6-3 are indeed enough, you can spend a look at Orson Charles.

6 6 is better
If we drafted Fleener and Dwight Jones in the second (If he makes it that far), i would cream my pants!!!!

Originally posted by Slash49:
If we drafted Fleener and Dwight Jones in the second (If he makes it that far), i would cream my pants!!!!

i just creamed my pants thinking about it
Share 49ersWebzone