LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 355 users in the forums

Coby Fleener - TE Stanford

• mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
How many Stanford players did we draft last year?

We have bigger issues. Wr, OG, and CB are glaring needs than a back up or double TE set.

At least one of those can be addressed in FA, I'm thinking WR since there are lots of talented guys available, even if it's not the super big named guys like a colston, maybe a meachem? WR and TE are pretty interchangeable in this offense and at this point offense needs to be addressed all over the board, TE's are just big receivers, which we can always use more of considering the size of our WRs.

Obviously if we lose Rogers CB becomes a bigger need, but as our defense is set right now I'd place CB as a depth need more than a 1st or second, I'm thinking 3rd, maybe 4th round for that(since culliver in the 3rd seems to be working out). It's really not the huge weakness it was in 2010.

So that leaves TE and OG for 1st and second. I don't care if OG ends up being first and TE goes second, but I think those are the two biggest needs. Depends on where Baalke views the talent drop to be at and who falls in the first.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
I expect TEs like Fleener to get drafted earlier than normal this year.

Think about how many TEs were just killing it in the playoffs this year. Graham, Davis, Gronk, Hernandez. TEs are becoming a bigger part of the offensive game in the NFL. And big pass catching TEs like Fleener will be VERY popular on draft day this year.

Yep, like I said, if the 49ers took him with their 1st round pick, I wouldn't even be upset. Most teams are going to struggle to cover these big, play-maker TE's, eventually defenses will catch up but if you can have an advantage like that, why not use it? Fleener and Vernon Davis on the field at the same time? That's more explosive than any receiver you can find in the draft to pair with Crabtree. I was skeptical but as I saw teams struggle to cover tight-ends, namely the Saints and the Giants, if you have further enhance that advantage and make life even more miserable for other teams defensively....do it.
TEs are the future of the NFL.

It's one of the lowest paid positions, but they can essentially play both WR and LT at the same time (two of the most highly paid positions).

I say go whole hog. Run 3 TEs sets with Davis, Fleener and Walker on the field at the same time. Power running and dynamic receiving at the same time.
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
Originally posted by mike:
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
Originally posted by CRABTREE:
Can't get Fleener in the 2nd First rounder
Nothing is ever set in stone. We haven't even had the combine yet. Remember prince amukamara the so called top 10 pick? Just an example.

Except the Giants desperately need at TE and they will be drafting right after the Niners or a pick later. They will be looking at all the top TE's very closely. Also, since all these teams are having such great success with TE's recently, especially shown with New England, I can see more teams looking hard at top TE's, even if they already have one good one.
True, they have ballard but I'm sure superbowl weekend they'll wish they had at least one more. Is fleener the consensus top TE? I haven't followed the TE prospects much this year.

i think he is the #3 TE. He might be gone before our 2nd rd pick but thats y i think we will trade back into the second to pick up fleener with the first 2nd and a WR like Quick or Streeter with our second 2nd. Then we can address our defensive needs like CB and OLB with ur two 3rd rounders (that is thinking that we gain another 3rd from trading out of the 1st rd)

draftscout has fleener as #2 TE right behind clemsons dwayne allen. however, fleener and ladarius green are the tallest of the bunch with 6-6. dont know about greens hands, though.
Originally posted by AlmighT49er:
draftscout has fleener as #2 TE right behind clemsons dwayne allen. however, fleener and ladarius green are the tallest of the bunch with 6-6. dont know about greens hands, though.

Allen and Green are more "athletically gifted" but neither one is as polished a route runner as Fleener is. Fleener's probably the most ready to contribute in the receiving game overall.

Allen and Green are more "athletically gifted" but neither one is as polished a route runner as Fleener is. Fleener's probably the most ready to contribute in the receiving game overall.

i totally agree. fleener really looked like a WR in shaws offense.

i totally agree. fleener really looked like a WR in shaws offense.

and he'd look the same in our offense considering he played for Harbaugh as well which is why I want the 49ers to draft him
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
How many Stanford players did we draft last year?

We have bigger issues. Wr, OG, and CB are glaring needs than a back up or double TE set.

At least one of those can be addressed in FA, I'm thinking WR since there are lots of talented guys available, even if it's not the super big named guys like a colston, maybe a meachem? WR and TE are pretty interchangeable in this offense and at this point offense needs to be addressed all over the board, TE's are just big receivers, which we can always use more of considering the size of our WRs.

Obviously if we lose Rogers CB becomes a bigger need, but as our defense is set right now I'd place CB as a depth need more than a 1st or second, I'm thinking 3rd, maybe 4th round for that(since culliver in the 3rd seems to be working out). It's really not the huge weakness it was in 2010.

So that leaves TE and OG for 1st and second. I don't care if OG ends up being first and TE goes second, but I think those are the two biggest needs. Depends on where Baalke views the talent drop to be at and who falls in the first.

With all our free agents I think it is highly unlikely that we splash out in free agency on a big name receiver. That will surely be for the draft.
Hey the Pats have two good tight ends and they seem to be fine
Originally posted by 99draft99:

So do we
Originally posted by valrod33:

So do we

no the pats have two GREAT tight ends. we have one.

Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

So do we

no the pats have two GREAT tight ends. we have one.

No they Have 1 Great TE and 1 Very Good TE, we have 1 Great TE and 1 Average TE
So do we

Yes, other defensive coordinators are shaking in their boots at the thought of Delanie Walker or Justin Peele. Walker is an extremely under-sized tight-end(6'0") and Peele is a 3rd stringer at best.
Originally posted by English:
With all our free agents I think it is highly unlikely that we splash out in free agency on a big name receiver. That will surely be for the draft.

I wouldn't mind seeing it go like this.

1st Round-Coby Fleener

2nd Round-Streeter, Quick, Jones...etc

Re-sign Morgan, put a Fleener-Davis-Crabtree-Morgan lineup out on the field, will make scoring in the red-zone a hell of a lot easier. Add Streeter into the mix and now there's a 6'5" receiver available to go up and catch Alex's sometimes awkwardly high thrown passes.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 27, 2012 at 1:45 PM ]
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:

I wouldn't mind seeing it go like this.

1st Round-Coby Fleener

2nd Round-Streeter, Quick, Jones...etc

Re-sign Morgan, put a Fleener-Davis-Crabtree-Morgan lineup out on the field, will make scoring in the red-zone a hell of a lot easier. Add Streeter into the mix and now there's a 6'5" receiver available to go up and catch Alex's sometimes awkwardly high thrown passes.

Just wrote in another thread that if the Colts really want to make Luck's transition to the NFL as easy as possible they will draft Fleener with their #2 pick at #34th overall.

I personally don't see Fleener lasting past that pick, but you never know,
So do we

Yes, other defensive coordinators are shaking in their boots at the thought of Delanie Walker or Justin Peele. Walker is an extremely under-sized tight-end(6'0") and Peele is a 3rd stringer at best.
nobody mentioned Peele
Share 49ersWebzone