There are 224 users in the forums

Position you feel we should be looking to draft

Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by fryet:
I think a high priority for the 49ers should be TE. Can you imagine how our offense would be affected if VD or Walker went down? We probably have more TE on the field more often than WR with our offense, yet we carry something like 5 WR on the team, but only 3 TE. I think the 49ers are going to want 4 or 5 TE on the team, and I would spend as high as a second round pick on a TE.

Serious? 5 TEs on the roster next year? Another high pick? Can't see it.

i don't think we should necessarily spend a high pick on a TE, but I do think we should get one in this draft, and imagine we'll carry at least 4 and maybe 5 at some point in the near future. Harbaugh's offense seems to love the TE, and right now the TE position in the NFL is really evolving, and the way teams are using them is changing. I think we fit in perfectly with that "zeitgeist." GB carried 5 TE's this year. and when you look at teams like NE with their two stud TE's, and how we're using the TE, it isn't too much of a stretch to see us being a TE-heavy team, even moreso than other teams.

spirit of the times eh

and we wont carry 5 TE's, you need the versatility of WR's

It depends on the player. The great TE's are more versatile than most WR's. I don't think we would go into a TC intending to carry 5 TE's unless, somehow, we end up with 5 we really want to keep, like GB did. But since our offense relies heavily on TE's, especially having two or three on the field at the same time, it would make a ton of sense to invest into that position just like you would WR.
Resign : Alex, Goldson, Rogers, Edwards and Morgan ..

Then Draft a CB, DE, OLB and G

a starting caliber CB in the first ..a High energy DE in the 2nd to join the DL rotation , a pass rushing OLB in the 3rd and a G to challenge for playing time in the 4th

then with the rest of the picks I hope we bring in talent to compete for roster spots at WR, QB, SS and TE with the other picks
Originally posted by hipcam52:
1RD BPA
2RD Jared Crick is a young Justin Smith
Jared Crick, DL, Nebraska: Crick is an intense competitor who plays hard until the whistle blows. He's getting looks as both a three-technique lineman and two-gap end for the next level. A torn pectoral muscle abruptly cut short his 2011 campaign and will aversely impact his draft stock. by Tony Pauline SI.com
http://youtu.be/cKVYAHmx9EU

If the Niners end up picking at the very end of the first round, I would even consider taking Crick then. With the real Justin Smith mentoring him, he could turn into a great DE replacement down the road. Both seem to be cut from the same mold. Adding another promising DLman is always a good idea in the NFL...

In the second round, I would get one of the many big, strong WRs that will be available in the draft this year (good year for WCO type wideouts)..

In the third round, I would go CB, just like they did with Culliver this year. If they don't see one they like then, go for the best S available.

From the fourth round on....draft another good developmental interior OLman... OG is still a pretty big need on this team. I would even consider taking one in the third round if there is a guy on the board they really like then... Other late rounds positions of need for depth...RB, ILB, QB (possibly), OLB, CB, and S.
starting to think Dixon will be gone once the season is over...add in Norris as well, might need another RB to add to the stable
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Resign : Alex, Goldson, Rogers, Edwards and Morgan ..

Then Draft a CB, DE, OLB and G

a starting caliber CB in the first ..a High energy DE in the 2nd to join the DL rotation , a pass rushing OLB in the 3rd and a G to challenge for playing time in the 4th

then with the rest of the picks I hope we bring in talent to compete for roster spots at WR, QB, SS and TE with the other picks
I'd be happy with that strategy....I'm curious how the development of Dobbs, Williams on the DL and Kilgore and Person on the OL. Are they future starting caliber guys. Not to mention Kaepernick. Is he our future? Cause Alex will make a great backup, he's proven that much this year.
CB 1st-top cover guy/shut down type
OLB/DE 2nd-Aldon's partner or J Smith replacement
FS 3rd-we need a legit stud center fielder
OG 4th-Chilo on the way out I think
5-7 depth
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
FS...FS....and FS!!!!

I'd take one at the end of the 1st or in the 2nd. How long are we gonna put up with Goldson.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
FS...FS....and FS!!!!

I'd take one at the end of the 1st or in the 2nd. How long are we gonna put up with Goldson.

I would say the pressing matter is R Smith who cant stay healthy. But CB and FS need to be taken VERY early.
  • dj43
Pass the ball.

Defend the pass.

Need a fast WR.

Need a shutdown corner.
a playmaking FS would almost complete our defense. i would say that is our biggest need.

followed by:

-CB
-SPEEDY WR!!
Yep. Secondary playmakers and offensive line depth.

I still don't think we need a WR. Why do Braylon and Crabtree get no respect on this board? What you're seeing with Braylon is what happens when you put an All-Pro WR on a team that passes for 175 yards per game. We got pretty darn solid production out of our top two wideouts today. Imagine Crabtree's numbers if Smith doesn't miss him when he's running free behind the defense.

Originally posted by mjo116:
Originally posted by mjo116:
cb, s, ol. Im ok waiting a year to address wr and the def front seven. I like rogers but i dont feel we have a solid starter opposite him. whitner could definitely be upgraded. But most pressing need has to be oline. hope we can figure it out this time around, as we seem to have trouble evaluating talent at this position. at least in the recent past anyways.

Culliver is impressing me, so depending on how he develops the rest of the season id say O line is top priority. I still think we could use a good safety and with all our wr issues, we should definitely address that position as well.
new top 3:
OG
S
WR

with the strides our oline has made these past few weeks, i think we should look to draft a WR in the first rd. im not so impressed with brown at cb, so i think we should draft another cb early to supplement rogers and culliver. Also a safety to grrom as whitners eventual replacement as he is a liability in pass coverage.
new top 3:
WR
CB
S
I think a high priority for the 49ers should be TE. Can you imagine how our offense would be affected if VD or Walker went down? We probably have more TE on the field more often than WR with our offense, yet we carry something like 5 WR on the team, but only 3 TE. I think the 49ers are going to want 4 or 5 TE on the team, and I would spend as high as a second round pick on a TE.

i don't think we should necessarily spend a high pick on a TE, but I do think we should get one in this draft, and imagine we'll carry at least 4 and maybe 5 at some point in the near future. Harbaugh's offense seems to love the TE, and right now the TE position in the NFL is really evolving, and the way teams are using them is changing. I think we fit in perfectly with that "zeitgeist." GB carried 5 TE's this year. and when you look at teams like NE with their two stud TE's, and how we're using the TE, it isn't too much of a stretch to see us being a TE-heavy team, even moreso than other teams.

spirit of the times eh

It depends on the player. The great TE's are more versatile than most WR's. I don't think we would go into a TC intending to carry 5 TE's unless, somehow, we end up with 5 we really want to keep, like GB did. But since our offense relies heavily on TE's, especially having two or three on the field at the same time, it would make a ton of sense to invest into that position just like you would WR.

Depends what kind of TE. Justin Peele blocking style TE or more versatile receiving Vernon/Delanie style. Faster more athletic TE= too fast for a linebacker and too strong for a DB. Its all about matchups.

Guaranteed D coordinators spend much more time game planning for our TEs than our WR. They are matchup nightmares.
[ Edited by AXEGRINDER on Nov 14, 2011 at 9:14 PM ]
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
San Francisco 49ers: WR, CB, Interior OL, 3-4 OLB, S depth It'll be interesting to see if Alex Smith can become the Niners' "guy" after all these years. He has one of the best tight end groups to work with, but still needs more help on the perimeter if he ever has a shot at taking the next step. A bigger receiver in the Braylon Edwards mold can really open up the offense. The other part of the equation is solidifying the middle of the offensive line. When opponents have been getting pressure on Smith, it's been through the middle, which has really disrupted the offense at times. Iupati looks strong, but Goodwin and Snyder are less than impressive. Defensively, the Niners are finally coming together all around with an upward trending outlook on the future. The defensive line has a strong rotation of talented players, led by one of the league's most underrated, Justin Smith. They can still get stronger at outside linebacker, at worst with depth. The secondary could use players at both safety and corner. Carlos Rogers, one of the most underrated corners in the league, is having one of his best seasons, but behind him there's plenty of room for improvement. At safety, they could use depth.

http://footballsfuture.com/2012/needs/nfcwest.html
Cornerback and Cornerback and Center.

Neither Brown nor Spencer have impressed me. Culliver has looked good at times but he's also a work in progress and his ultimate ceiling could be a very good nickelback. If this defense could add a dynamic cornerback, a quality starter next to Rogers, that would be tremendous and would improve the defense even further.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:

spirit of the times eh

Depends what kind of TE. Justin Peele blocking style TE or more versatile receiving Vernon/Delanie style. Faster more athletic TE= too fast for a linebacker and too strong for a DB. Its all about matchups.

Guaranteed D coordinators spend much more time game planning for our TEs than our WR. They are matchup nightmares.

Just trade up into the twenties to grab alshon jeffrey after he falls due to separation and explosiveness issues and comparisons to mike williams. I personally think he would make a great TE with ability to play on the perimeter especially in redzone.

Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:

spirit of the times eh

Let's just trade up and grab Alshon Jeffrey in the twenties after he slides due to separation/explosiveness concerns and Mike Williams comparisons. Would be a matchup nightmare as a TE with ability to play on the perimeter especially in redzone.
Share 49ersWebzone