LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 225 users in the forums

Position you feel we should be looking to draft

Our OL is deep if not great, we kept 2 young DL with future depth considered. Our LBs are solid and under contract. Aldon Smith will start next year. I think our QB situation is Alex Smith, Colin and Josh Johnson to compete. Safety is stacked if we resign Goldson and Williams. We must resign Rogers, Goldson, and hopefully Braylon Edwards. If so my draft priority would be

1. CB- Someone to compete for the #1 spot someday, not the #3 spot
2. WR-West coas guy, size/speed/hands
3. OLB- We only have 3 on the roster
4. OG- Rachal has been passed up by Snyder depth//upgrade
5. MLB-Depth behind 52 AND 53
6. WR-Speed guy
7. RB-Depth/competition
NT--We still need more beef in the middle although RJF seems to be doing well. Still. would love to have the kid from Washington at 340 lbs!
CB--Great CB class and deep too. I think we will land one in the first two rounds.
WR--Need more weapons and we have many WRs who are going to be FA
OLB--Only three deep
FS--Need to start molding one, Goldson is a FA again.
My area's of concern for next season:

DE- Justin Smith has been by far our best FA...we need to draft his replacement with an equal motor. We need to spend our 1st on a DE/NT that can get pressure.
CB- Carlos Rogers is playing very well, hope to sign him longterm, but we need to add another CB for the future
S- Goldston is doing well, but we need a ball hawk that can make INT's and tackle in the open field, not just hit hard.
OG/C- even though our O-line is full of high draft picks we need to get another quality interior man that can keep Iupati free and Alex's eyes downfield for his recievers not avoiding the sack!
WR- Braylon was a great signing, but we need to get a legit #1 that can help take pressure off Gore/VD...Crabtree has the ability and hands(man he can snatch the ball out of the air) but his lack of desire pisses me off...I'd be willing to trade him if we keep Braylon.
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Originally posted by dhp318:
QB
S
CB
not until the later rounds though.

Not even then. Deepest we have been at qb since Bono was third man.
Only way we go after QB is in the first round at the top of the draft like Lucj, Laundry or Griffin, which I doubt, If Alex continues his decent play the niners will use him will developing Tolz and Kaep.

A lot will depend on how the players play and develop like Culliver, and where we draft and who is left, I see CB and WR.
  • Elric
  • Veteran
In seeing how we play a cover safety I don't feel like a 1st or 2nd round corner is needed.

If we start playing man to man than we shoudl invest a 1st or 2nd.

The way I see it is if ther is a WR with size and speed that would be a need.

If there is not. Than OLB would be a great choice until we have enought in case some one goes down.
Example: Devin Taylor, DE-OLB, South Carolina*: Taylor is a gifted prospect who can be a game-changer in the defensive front seven. He's mired in a very mediocre campaign, but can make a big move up boards should he turn it around.

Also if there is a NT available we shoudl be looking maybe in the 2nd
Example: Alameda Ta'amu, DL, Washington: The 335-pound Ta'amu is a load in the middle of the line and impossible to move from the action. He could shoot up draft boards if he starts to make more plays on the field.Read more:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/tony_pauline/10/24/top.50/index.html#ixzz1bjoxYvk7
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Elric:
In seeing how we play a cover safety I don't feel like a 1st or 2nd round corner is needed.

If we start playing man to man than we shoudl invest a 1st or 2nd.

The way I see it is if ther is a WR with size and speed that would be a need.

If there is not. Than OLB would be a great choice until we have enought in case some one goes down.
Example: Devin Taylor, DE-OLB, South Carolina*: Taylor is a gifted prospect who can be a game-changer in the defensive front seven. He's mired in a very mediocre campaign, but can make a big move up boards should he turn it around.

Also if there is a NT available we shoudl be looking maybe in the 2nd
Example: Alameda Ta'amu, DL, Washington: The 335-pound Ta'amu is a load in the middle of the line and impossible to move from the action. He could shoot up draft boards if he starts to make more plays on the field.Read more:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/tony_pauline/10/24/top.50/index.html#ixzz1bjoxYvk7

He was very movable against Stanford's oline when they rushed for 440 yards. I hardly noticed him against DeCastro.
1RD BPA
2RD Jared Crick is a young Justin Smith
Jared Crick, DL, Nebraska: Crick is an intense competitor who plays hard until the whistle blows. He's getting looks as both a three-technique lineman and two-gap end for the next level. A torn pectoral muscle abruptly cut short his 2011 campaign and will aversely impact his draft stock. by Tony Pauline SI.com
http://youtu.be/cKVYAHmx9EU
Originally posted by mjo116:
cb, s, ol. Im ok waiting a year to address wr and the def front seven. I like rogers but i dont feel we have a solid starter opposite him. whitner could definitely be upgraded. But most pressing need has to be oline. hope we can figure it out this time around, as we seem to have trouble evaluating talent at this position. at least in the recent past anyways.

Culliver is impressing me, so depending on how he develops the rest of the season id say O line is top priority. I still think we could use a good safety and with all our wr issues, we should definitely address that position as well.
new top 3:
OG
S
WR
3rd baseman

• fryet
  • Veteran
I think a high priority for the 49ers should be TE. Can you imagine how our offense would be affected if VD or Walker went down? We probably have more TE on the field more often than WR with our offense, yet we carry something like 5 WR on the team, but only 3 TE. I think the 49ers are going to want 4 or 5 TE on the team, and I would spend as high as a second round pick on a TE.
Originally posted by fryet:
I think a high priority for the 49ers should be TE. Can you imagine how our offense would be affected if VD or Walker went down? We probably have more TE on the field more often than WR with our offense, yet we carry something like 5 WR on the team, but only 3 TE. I think the 49ers are going to want 4 or 5 TE on the team, and I would spend as high as a second round pick on a TE.

Serious? 5 TEs on the roster next year? Another high pick? Can't see it.
There is a difference between speculating on what you want and what the team needs based on our pick. First, we have to see how the season plays out, that will determine who the niners will end up more likely going after. At this point of time, the niners are looking like they are going to make the playoffs and won't be doing it the way Seattle did it last year. In any event if the niners make the playoffs, the pick will be no lower than the 21st pick. So any shot at a good QB is pointless to talk about. Even if say Barkley falls, don't want him, overrated like almost all USC QBs.

We also have to see how the signing period goes, who we retain and who we sign during FA period that happens before the draft. Can we retain Carlos Rodgers. Dashon Goldson and Brooks.

The thing about drafting WR is that they take a while to develope, even the GOAT didn't start to shine till year 2. Anyway, the D is playing great in regards to points allowed and against the run, but do give up a lot against the pass, that however is because the niners are geared to making the big play. Still, a better secondary could be the direction then WR, then OL or DL.
Originally posted by English:

i don't think we should necessarily spend a high pick on a TE, but I do think we should get one in this draft, and imagine we'll carry at least 4 and maybe 5 at some point in the near future. Harbaugh's offense seems to love the TE, and right now the TE position in the NFL is really evolving, and the way teams are using them is changing. I think we fit in perfectly with that "zeitgeist." GB carried 5 TE's this year. and when you look at teams like NE with their two stud TE's, and how we're using the TE, it isn't too much of a stretch to see us being a TE-heavy team, even moreso than other teams.
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by English:

i don't think we should necessarily spend a high pick on a TE, but I do think we should get one in this draft, and imagine we'll carry at least 4 and maybe 5 at some point in the near future. Harbaugh's offense seems to love the TE, and right now the TE position in the NFL is really evolving, and the way teams are using them is changing. I think we fit in perfectly with that "zeitgeist." GB carried 5 TE's this year. and when you look at teams like NE with their two stud TE's, and how we're using the TE, it isn't too much of a stretch to see us being a TE-heavy team, even moreso than other teams.

spirit of the times eh

and we wont carry 5 TE's, you need the versatility of WR's
Share 49ersWebzone