LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 266 users in the forums

Adam Schefter says 49ers looking to trade back

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I think Gabbert still has to be available if we are looking to trade back. Maybe we move back to #10 (Redskins) or #12 (Vikings)?? Then we may still be able to get Amukamara or Quinn, AND pick up an additional 2nd round pick!

After all the things I've read on Harbaugh and the criteria he's looking for in a QB, I'm convinced that the 49ers are targeting Nevada QB Colin Kaepernick.
Originally posted by susweel:

Scheffy generally is pretty good with the signals. Although, I can see it especially if Peterson or Gabbert drops to us. Heck, I could see one of the top teams needing a 4-3 DE jump up to get Quinn. How about Julio Jones? I don't know about Amukamara. And what about Fairly?

Again, this is one of the most fluid drafts ever to predict. From 3 to 10, it's going to be a nail biter.

Originally posted by PTulini:
I think Gabbert still has to be available if we are looking to trade back. Maybe we move back to #10 (Redskins) or #12 (Vikings)?? Then we may still be able to get Amukamara or Quinn, AND pick up an additional 2nd round pick!

After all the things I've read on Harbaugh and the criteria he's looking for in a QB, I'm convinced that the 49ers are targeting Nevada QB Colin Kaepernick.

For me, it's going to be either Ponder, Dalton or Kaepernick. Kaep has the most upside of them. Dalton and Ponder seem to have the capacity to jump in quickly where Kaep would need more seasoning. All three have the leadership quality in droves.

I would be happy with either of those three.
[ Edited by ninertico on Apr 25, 2011 at 12:18 PM ]
  • Otter
  • Veteran

that took me a minute to get.

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I don't see many viable trade partners. I think in all likelihood we will be stuck with the pick.

If Peterson was sitting there, he might interest teams to trade up....but then again, if Peterson was there, we'd likely take him.

So you're right, it doesn't seem likely that we'll be able to trade back, even if we wanted to.

There are only a few players I think people would trade up for that'll actually make it there: Teams might trade up for Green, Julio Jones, or Prince. These deals, if they happen are highly likely to include "future" picks.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by ninertico:

Scheffy generally is pretty good with the signals. Although, I can see it especially if Peterson or Gabbert drops to us. Heck, I could see one of the top teams needing a 4-3 DE jump up to get Quinn. How about Julio Jones? I don't know about Amukamara. And what about Fairly?

Again, this is one of the most fluid drafts ever to predict. From 3 to 10, it's going to be a nail biter.

Originally posted by PTulini:

For me, it's going to be either Ponder, Dalton or Kaepernick. Kaep has the most upside of them. Dalton and Ponder seem to have the capacity to jump in quickly where Kaep would need more seasoning. All three have the leadership quality in droves.

I would be happy with either of those three.

Shefter is pretty good about is info, but for me personally I dont buy any story coming out the week during the draft. 99% of the time its all just a bunch of BS, also I dont think anyone will trade up for the #7 pick unless one of the QBs is there and a team is desperate.
  • buhda
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
If Peterson is gone and Gabbert is there, I really like the idea trading with Washington and still get Prince or Quinn. Only problem is they don't have their 3rd round pick this year. May be a 2nd next year or some combo of pics (4th and 5th).

Swap our 3rd.76th pick with there 2nd 48th pick.
I don't see many viable trade partners. I think in all likelihood we will be stuck with the pick.

This. I think there will be limited movements in this draft. If they do, it will be for packaging picks. I heard this morning that NE may make moves cause they have only 5 picks next year and may search for a way to get more.

It will be interesting.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:

This. I think there will be limited movements in this draft. If they do, it will be for packaging picks. I heard this morning that NE may make moves cause they have only 5 picks next year and may search for a way to get more.

It will be interesting.

Having more picks next year makes far more sense than having picks this year. This years draft picks won't make an impact until next years rookies do. Why not stockpile picks for next year when the players are fresh out of college.
If Peterson is gone and Gabbert is there, I really like the idea trading with Washington and still get Prince or Quinn. Only problem is they don't have their 3rd round pick this year. May be a 2nd next year or some combo of pics (4th and 5th).

Skins don't have a 4th rounder either.

While there is always the chance the Niners will trade down, I can't see teams paying the price to make a movement forward for a CB or DE in this draft. Maybe if Gabbert or Newton somehow slips, but the cost for the Dolphins to move up 8 slots to get their guy at 7 would be a mid-second rounder.

I could easily see a Philly-SF trade with a swapping of picks and Kevin Kolb thrown in if the CBA was finalized, but this is not going to happen.

NE is the one team that has the ammunition to make a giant leap, but they tend to trade down rather than trade up. Maybe this changes this year.

A few scenarios might make sense: If the Lions really think Dallas is going OT, and they have to make that move forward to get the one they want off the board.

OR

Gabbert or Newton on the board

OR

AJ Green still on the board and teams think Tennessee might select him
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Apr 25, 2011 at 12:46 PM ]
Originally posted by lamontb:

Skins don't have a 4th rounder either.

Your right no 3rd or 4th. Good catch.
Originally posted by Aussie49er:
If possible I would like them to trade the number 1 pick away for a future 1st round pick next year. I repeat "if possible"

I think you meant trade down and accept a number one pick in addition to the trade down? If not, this is a crazy idea, this is a top 7 pick this year, the value is high, how do you know the pick you are trading for next year will be at the same spot, lower or higher or if there even will be a draft.

crazy idea.
but the Saints are looking to either move forward or back, so there is an option for someone. I would be happier taking the other QBs at 24.
  • Otter
  • Veteran
This is from King, who I don't particularly care for, but I hope if this is true that it is NOT us.

There's a team in the draft that has a deal on the table -- I'm guessing New England (surprise!) -- with a team trying to come back into the first round. The deal will net the team dealing the first-rounder the following: a second-round pick in 2011 and a first-round pick in 2012. The deal, I hear, is contingent on the player the trade-up team wants still being there. Could it be Tennessee trading into the bottom of the first round, at 28, to get Jake Locker or Andy Dalton? Stay tuned.

I hope we don't give up our 2nd and next year's first for a chance to draft ponder or dalton.
Share 49ersWebzone