LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 303 users in the forums

Adam Schefter says 49ers looking to trade back

Originally posted by Otter:
This is from King, who I don't particularly care for, but I hope if this is true that it is NOT us.

There's a team in the draft that has a deal on the table -- I'm guessing New England (surprise!) -- with a team trying to come back into the first round. The deal will net the team dealing the first-rounder the following: a second-round pick in 2011 and a first-round pick in 2012. The deal, I hear, is contingent on the player the trade-up team wants still being there. Could it be Tennessee trading into the bottom of the first round, at 28, to get Jake Locker or Andy Dalton? Stay tuned.

I hope we don't give up our 2nd and next year's first for a chance to draft ponder or dalton.

Why not?
This is from King, who I don't particularly care for, but I hope if this is true that it is NOT us.

There's a team in the draft that has a deal on the table -- I'm guessing New England (surprise!) -- with a team trying to come back into the first round. The deal will net the team dealing the first-rounder the following: a second-round pick in 2011 and a first-round pick in 2012. The deal, I hear, is contingent on the player the trade-up team wants still being there. Could it be Tennessee trading into the bottom of the first round, at 28, to get Jake Locker or Andy Dalton? Stay tuned.

I hope we don't give up our 2nd and next year's first for a chance to draft ponder or dalton.

didnt we make a trade similar to this with the Patriots a few years back?

EDIT: Yes we did

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2009/05/pats49ers_trade.html
[ Edited by valrod33 on Apr 25, 2011 at 1:12 PM ]
Originally posted by mrbusinessman499:

Why not?

I would prefer to trade a few picks away next year for Andrew Luck
Originally posted by Aussie49er:

Why not?

Whoever is number 1 next year is not giving up Andrew luck!
Originally posted by Sjceruti:
The comment was said on ESPN's Sportscenter Draft Special show airing now.

I think this is a great idea as long as Miller and Peterson are gone. Trading back may give us a chance to land a solid player in the middle of the first as well as trading back up to take a QB like Ponder or Dalton.

Does this mean they may not be high on guys like Prince or Quinn? Or maybe they just have a plan and see better value in getting a mid round guy and maybe another 2nd or 3rd rounder.

What's your guys take on this? What teams do you think we could deal with outside of the obvious answer, New England? And what do you think we could get to move back to say, 17?

Dude I talked about this a month ago about us needing more players and if peterson is there to do a trade with peterson. The subjects name was Dangling peterson could put us over the top! Hate to say I told you sooooooo!!!!!!!!!! Thank God we have a coach that knows what we need.
  • RKab
  • Veteran

My guess is Belichick is just setting the price high for moving back into the first round to see if some of these teams panic and give up the farm.

But if this is true - It could be Minnesota. It almost has to be a team that is close to the playoffs and just needs a QB to put them over the top so they'd expect to win enough games in 2011 that losing their #1 doesn't crush them.

Then again the Niners fit into that line of thinking too.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I don't see many viable trade partners. I think in all likelihood we will be stuck with the pick.

I think either the Washington Redskins or the Minnesota Vikings is our best bet if Gabbert is still there. And of course, it depends how much the team likes Gabbert.
Originally posted by owiseone:

I think this is a great idea as long as Miller and Peterson are gone. Trading back may give us a chance to land a solid player in the middle of the first as well as trading back up to take a QB like Ponder or Dalton.

Does this mean they may not be high on guys like Prince or Quinn? Or maybe they just have a plan and see better value in getting a mid round guy and maybe another 2nd or 3rd rounder.

What's your guys take on this? What teams do you think we could deal with outside of the obvious answer, New England? And what do you think we could get to move back to say, 17?

Dude I talked about this a month ago about us needing more players and if peterson is there to do a trade with peterson. The subjects name was Dangling peterson could put us over the top! Hate to say I told you sooooooo!!!!!!!!!! Thank God we have a coach that knows what we need.

Originally posted by fakers23:

Yeah,he said if Peterson not there...They will look to trade down..

Why not?

So if the number 1 pick has an established QB already you are saying that they would draft him hands down?
  • RKab
  • Veteran
According to Schefter teams trying to trade down:

1. SF (7)
2. DAL (9)
3. WAS (10)
4. DET (13)
5. SEA (25)

and teams trying to trade up:

1. NE (17 / 28)
2. PHI (23)
3. CIN (4)
4. BUF (3)
5. TEN (8)
6. MIN (12)

Originally posted by RKab:
According to Schefter teams trying to trade down:

1. SF (7)
2. DAL (9)
3. WAS (10)
4. DET (13)
5. SEA (25)

and teams trying to trade up:

1. NE (17 / 28)
2. PHI (23)
3. CIN (4)
4. BUF (3)
5. TEN (8)
6. MIN (12)

Philly and New England both said they want/are willing to trade down.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Apr 25, 2011 at 1:20 PM ]
  • Otter
  • Veteran

Why not?

Because neither of those guys, or any of the QBs in this class, seem like a slam dunk. I don't want to mortgage part of this year, and next year for one of these guys. Price seems too high for what you'd get in exchange.

Why not?

So if the number 1 pick has an established QB already you are saying that they would draft him hands down?
If they have the number 1 pick they dont have an established QB
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Are future draft picks still allowed to be traded ??
Originally posted by susweel:
Are future draft picks still allowed to be traded ??

yes
Share 49ersWebzone