There are 186 users in the forums

Wonderlic scores for the QBs

Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
mean's nothing.

Only if you are being naive. The wonderlic is pretty important in today's game. All the best QBs in the league scored above average. The days of a QB being dumb an successful are long gone.

Good for Newton, I thought he would be in the low teens, but he did fine.
Originally posted by 49time:
Hopefully this ends the Cam Newton is stupid speculation. The standard for Qb on this test is 20. In reality, most people cheat or cheated in college. They just do not steal computers. In all, he was a 18 to 19 year kid when he made those mistakes. I am pretty sure no one wants to be held accountable for their risky decision making at that age.

You want to see a 25-30 for a QB, Newton scored low.
Originally posted by binary2nd:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
mean's nothing.

Only if you are being naive. The wonderlic is pretty important in today's game. All the best QBs in the league scored above average. The days of a QB being dumb an successful are long gone.

I agree. It's not the end all, but it is important for a QB. Especially with a lengthy and diverse playbook.
Not the be all and end all. The test is a general knowledge test I believe and not a memory test. Learning the playbook requires good memory and football IQ, not academic IQ. Coming from a non-academic family background would likely result in a lower wonderlic.

Is there a list of QB's wonderlics since it began? Then we could make a comparison and see how valid it is as a predictor.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TX9R:
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by valrod33:
I know they arent QBs but Barrows wrote that Prince scored a 35 and Peterson scored a 9 on their wonderlics

Man he is stupid dumb.

*WaitsForSomeoneToInsertRacistCommentNow*

You know it's coming right ?

Don't see why, both are black, one guy did well the other is a moron. I attribute it to Peterson being from Louisiana. My company is headquartered in Louisiana and my experience is that everyone from there is very, very stupid.

Cause this be the WZ mang. It's what they do.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WINiner:
Hopefully this ends the Cam Newton is stupid speculation. The standard for Qb on this test is 20. In reality, most people cheat or cheated in college. They just do not steal computers. In all, he was a 18 to 19 year kid when he made those mistakes. I am pretty sure no one wants to be held accountable for their risky decision making at that age.

24 is the average for a QB, so Newton scored just under the average. Low would be more like 15 (or 13 if your name is Dan Marino).

24 is the average for a QB, so Newton scored just under the average. Low would be more like 15 (or 13 if your name is Dan Marino).

Actually the number is 21. You may want it higher so that is your preference. I will supply a link for you
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonderlic_Test
Oh TX9r, there are plenty of dumb Texans as well. Stupidity Crosses all races, genders, and states.
Newton gets a solid score on the test and you guys still find a way to discount it. Figures.

[ Edited by AllTimeGreat on Mar 19, 2011 at 16:42:48 ]
I wonder what Dalton got. They listed the top QB scores in one of the articles and Dalton's wasn't there but Ponder was at 35.

Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Newton gets a solid score on the test and you guys still find a way to discount it. Figures.

not really solid, but better than expected.
Originally posted by 49ersRednGold:
I wonder what Dalton got. They listed the top QB scores in one of the articles and Dalton's wasn't there but Ponder was at 35.

Saw a number in the mid 20s but do not remember the source.

Edit: Found it--29.

Source

[ Edited by dtg_9er on Mar 19, 2011 at 17:50:16 ]

Actually the number is 21. You may want it higher so that is your preference. I will supply a link for you

26 is what is looked for in the 26(wonderlic) 27(games started) 60(%+ completion percentage) formula, which is widely employed formula by successful teams.

Say what you want, but the QB's that conform to that formula have a higher percentage of being successful than those who do not. Newton does not in 2 facets. He's a bust waiting to happen imo.

26 is what is looked for in the 26(wonderlic) 27(games started) 60(%+ completion percentage) formula, which is widely employed formula by successful teams.

Say what you want, but the QB's that conform to that formula have a higher percentage of being successful than those who do not. Newton does not in 2 facets. He's a bust waiting to happen imo.

He could be a bust. I can't tell the future. However based of his past, there is a better chance of success on the field. He has that it factor to me.
Originally posted by mike:
Originally posted by Snider8706:
the lower the score the better the athelete.
Except for locker, not quite as athletic as newton/gabbert. (is he falling quickly or what? remember when he could have gone in the 1st? hahah).

Newton did better than expected, he's in the mike vick range, still dumber than jamarcus russell according to the test lol. He has to be willing to put in the work for sure to learn everything, but I don't doubt he could be a successful qb. Probably thrown in to a horrible situation, but some can come out of something like that and still make it.

The laptop stealing/cheating, whether he was 18 or 19, still brings up character concerns whether you think it should follow him or not. There are excuses like he was poor, but that doesn't mean it was ok. Scouts only have the information available, you can't have a morality/character test, so yes it does have to be taken into account.

I like ponder in the 35 range, right up there with a lot of today's starters without having to worry about being "too smart" either.(like alex smith, if that is the knock on him lol)

Expected by who ? By fans who love to hate on him ? And every QB has to be willing to put in the work to learn everything. EVERY single QB.

So if this test truly shows how smart or dumb you are, I guess Russell was smarter than Dan Marino, Donovan McNabb or Heath Shuler.

Ponder's 35 is also right up there with the likes of Patrick Ramsey, Kellen Clemens and Charlie Frye. Heck even Matt Leinart got a 35.

It's fun to spin the scores is it not ?

Clearly russell missed a few question so as to look dumb, he wanted the upper hand in taking al's money! How did he become the owner of the raiders i thought he was just a g.m. for them and coach at first...
Share 49ersWebzone