LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 304 users in the forums

Wonderlic scores for the QBs

From Chris Mortensen

Quote:
QBs prepped more in this era. McElroy 43, Gabbert 42, Ponder 35, Stanzi 30, Dalton 29, Mallett 26, Newton 21, Locker 20. What does it mean?
Hopefully this ends the Cam Newton is stupid speculation. The standard for Qb on this test is 20. In reality, most people cheat or cheated in college. They just do not steal computers. In all, he was a 18 to 19 year kid when he made those mistakes. I am pretty sure no one wants to be held accountable for their risky decision making at that age.
It is a very bright group of QB's, maybe one of the most intelligent classes ever. McElroy is probably going to be a Senator someday, Ponder finished his first degree in 2 1/2 years, and will have a double masters by the end of his fourth year, Gabbert has always been known as brilliant in overall intelligence. These are smart guys.

Now, not all intelligent QB's become highly successful. Alex Smith may be the most intelligent QB in the NFL, and has struggled in his NFL career. However, facing an increasingly complex set of NFL defenses, QB's really need to be sharp. That is why a guy like Nate Davis, who has a terrific arm, but struggles to understand the playbook, has almost zero chance of success in the NFL.
the lower the score the better the athelete.
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Snider8706:
Except for locker, not quite as athletic as newton/gabbert. (is he falling quickly or what? remember when he could have gone in the 1st? hahah).

Newton did better than expected, he's in the mike vick range, still dumber than jamarcus russell according to the test lol. He has to be willing to put in the work for sure to learn everything, but I don't doubt he could be a successful qb. Probably thrown in to a horrible situation, but some can come out of something like that and still make it.

The laptop stealing/cheating, whether he was 18 or 19, still brings up character concerns whether you think it should follow him or not. There are excuses like he was poor, but that doesn't mean it was ok. Scouts only have the information available, you can't have a morality/character test, so yes it does have to be taken into account.

I like ponder in the 35 range, right up there with a lot of today's starters without having to worry about being "too smart" either.(like alex smith, if that is the knock on him lol)

[ Edited by mike on Mar 17, 2011 at 09:28:52 ]
Originally posted by mike:
Except for locker. (is he falling quickly or what? remember when he could have gone in the 1st? hahah).

Newton did better than expected, he's in the mike vick range, still dumber than jamarcus russell according to the test lol. He has to be willing to put in the work for sure to learn everything, but I don't doubt he could be a successful qb. Probably thrown in to a horrible situation, but some can come out of something like that and still make it.

The laptop stealing/cheating, whether he was 18 or 19, still brings up character concerns whether you think it should follow him or not. There are excuses like he was poor, but that doesn't mean it was ok. Scouts only have the information available, you can't have a morality/character test, so yes it does have to be taken into account.

I like ponder in the 35 range, right up there with a lot of today's starters without having to worry about being "too smart" either.(like alex smith, if that is the knock on him lol)

Lol yea locker is free falling fast..he'll be a steal in the fourth round though.

Ever since Alex smith got a near perfect score I don't pay attention to that test

LOL. Funny but true in most case.
Except for locker. (is he falling quickly or what? remember when he could have gone in the 1st? hahah).

Lol yea locker is free falling fast..he'll be a steal in the fourth round though.

Ever since Alex smith got a near perfect score I don't pay attention to that test

Locker wont drop to the 4th round
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Quote:
Here is the gist of it: If an NFL prospect scores at least a 26 on the Wonderlic test, starts at least 27 games in his college career and completes at least 60 percent of his passes, there's a good chance he will succeed at the NFL level

Rule of 26-27-60

Quote:
Five of the eight prospects listed met the 26-27-60 criteria. Two falling below the line -- Cam Newton and Jake Locker -- each fell short in two of the three categories. Blaine Gabbert was one start shy of the target.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/34683/beyond-those-qb-wonderlic-scores

[ Edited by Jcool on Mar 17, 2011 at 10:03:21 ]

• evil
  • Veteran
Except for locker, not quite as athletic as newton/gabbert. (is he falling quickly or what? remember when he could have gone in the 1st? hahah).

Expected by who ? By fans who love to hate on him ? And every QB has to be willing to put in the work to learn everything. EVERY single QB.

So if this test truly shows how smart or dumb you are, I guess Russell was smarter than Dan Marino, Donovan McNabb or Heath Shuler.

Ponder's 35 is also right up there with the likes of Patrick Ramsey, Kellen Clemens and Charlie Frye. Heck even Matt Leinart got a 35.

It's fun to spin the scores is it not ?
FootballPost

NFL source: Colin Kaepernick scored a 37 on Wonderlic: Has third-highest quarterback score http://bit.ly/idTWHw #NFL
mallett 26???
for a QB I think the score matters... would be interesting to see if there is a correlation to Wonderlic and QB passer rating (I know Marino had a low one, but with data there are usually outliers)
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by submoa:
for a QB I think the score matters... would be interesting to see if there is a correlation to Wonderlic and QB passer rating (I know Marino had a low one, but with data there are usually outliers)

Quote:
Since 1998, these are some of the NFL quarterbacks who aced all three parts of the Rule of 26-27-60: Peyton Manning, Phillip Rivers, Eli Manning, Drew Brees, Tony Romo, Matt Schaub, Kyle Orton, Kevin Kolb, Matt Ryan, Ryan Fitzpatrick and Matt Stafford.

Meanwhile, among the once highly-touted prospects who failed at least one part of the formula: Ryan Leaf, Joey Harrington, Michael Vick, Akili Smith, Tim Couch, Daunte Culpepper, David Carr, Vince Young and JaMarcus Russell.

There are a few notable exceptions to the rule but only by slight margins. Two-time Super Bowl champ Ben Roethlisberger scored a 25 on the Wonderlic, just one point short of the standard of 26. Jay Cutler -- a mixed-bag thus far in the NFL -- scored exactly a 26 on his Wonderlic and had the starts, but completed 57 percent of his passes at Vanderbilt. Joe Flacco, who's been to the playoffs in each of his first two seasons, fell short in the starts category.

It stands to reason why the Rule of 26-27-60 makes the most sense as a quick guide to NFL quarterbacking success, too.

The 26 represents the minimum Wonderlic score required to score a passing grade. Consider some of the lower-scoring quarterbacks drafted since 1998 when it comes to the Wonderlic: Vick (who scored a 20), Akili Smith (26), Couch (22), Carr (24), Young (16, first reported as a six) and Russell (24). All of them have been considered at best under-achievers, at worst busts.

The most notable exceptions to the rule are Brett Favre, who scored a reported 22 on the Wonderlic, and Donovan McNabb, who scored a reported 14.

The 27 represents the minimum number of starts a quarterbacking draft prospect should have had in college to make the grade. Ask any NFL scout if he would rather have 12 games to grade or 27. Playing a lot of games means more opportunity to hone your craft in the heat of battle and gain confidence in your ability to perform under pressure. That translates well to the next level. Oregon's Akili Smith was drafted in 1999 after making just 11 collegiate starts. He ultimately made just 17 starts in Cincinnati.

And how many quarterbacks, like Leaf and Russell, have been drafted based on "upside." That is another way of saying a player couldn't complete 60-percent in college. Do you really think he can do it at the next level?

The exceptions are few. Finding NFL quarterbacks certainly is a science, but it's not rocket science. When in doubt, turn to the Rule of 26-27-60.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/john_lopez/07/08/qb.rule/index.html#ixzz1GsaC2JR4
Share 49ersWebzone