There are 146 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Von Miller or Patrick Petersen

Von Miller or Patrick Petersen

Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
I realize that cb is an instictive position, but would prefer to find players that have cognitive ability beyond tying their shoes.

lol
Can somebody tells me how Patrick Peterson compares (or doesn't compare) to Antrel Rolle when he was a prospect.

A couple Cardinals fans said they were nervous of drafting Peterson because he was too similar to Antrel Rolle (bad corner, totally average safety, only really good on an int return).

Again, just comparing them as prospects...not what Rolle became.
I realize that cb is an instictive position, but would prefer to find players that have cognitive ability beyond tying their shoes.

Should we cut Gore then?
Originally posted by okdkid:
Can somebody tells me how Patrick Peterson compares (or doesn't compare) to Antrel Rolle when he was a prospect.

A couple Cardinals fans said they were nervous of drafting Peterson because he was too similar to Antrel Rolle (bad corner, totally average safety, only really good on an int return).

Again, just comparing them as prospects...not what Rolle became.

Peterson is considered a much better prospect than Rolle. Many think Peterson is the best CB prospect since Charles Woodson, so that's a least the last 10 yrs. I for one think it's a great thing that if he is to stiff to play CB he could be a dominating safety, I don't see how that is a knock on him. Another thing Rolle is way above avg. as a safety, I would put him just a notch below pro bowl level.
Originally posted by tjd808185:

Should we cut Gore then?

nah.. he can stay.
IMHO I feel Peterson has more to offer...a big CB who can really run, and a mad KR who can be a difference maker. Yes, we have Ginn, but given his rather small size and apparent unwillingness to cut back to the middle as opposed to going out of bounds, I'll take Peterson. None of that is a knock on Miller...he's impressed me not just as a pass rusher, but with his ability chase down ball carriers, too. Still, Peterson offers so much, I think he's the better overall pick.

Should we cut Gore then?

nah.. he can stay.

and willis he didnt know what 5x5 was
I think that at this point in the game, pass rushing has a lot to do with scheme, but the cornerback is out there by himself. So, I don't think there's any question - you take Peterson if he's there at seven.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
I think that at this point in the game, pass rushing has a lot to do with scheme, but the cornerback is out there by himself. So, I don't think there's any question - you take Peterson if he's there at seven.

If you can get to the QB you don't need a shut down corner. And we've been "scheming" our pass rush for several years now. How's that been working out?
Originally posted by genus49:

If you can get to the QB you don't need a shut down corner. And we've been "scheming" our pass rush for several years now. How's that been working out?

maybe if we had some corners it would be going well?

If your corners can cover receivers you don't need a great pass rush. See the Jets.

I do agree that we need to better than Parys Haralson though.

If your corners can cover receivers you don't need a great pass rush. See the Jets.

I strongly disagree with that statement. If you have great CB play but no pass rush QB's in this league will still tear you apart. On the flip side a great pass rush can make avg. CB's look like pro bowlers.
Originally posted by epdavis:

I strongly disagree with that statement. If you have great CB play but no pass rush QB's in this league will still tear you apart. On the flip side a great pass rush can make avg. CB's look like pro bowlers.

Once again. See New York. Very little pass rush outside of creating blitzing and they've had an elite defense the past 2 seasons.

If you have good corners and a good blitz scheme you can still win in this league.
Originally posted by epdavis:

Once again. See New York. Very little pass rush outside of creating blitzing and they've had an elite defense the past 2 seasons.

If you have good corners and a good blitz scheme you can still win in this league.

I think we need help in both positions but the pass rush needs more attention. we have shut down the run for years now but teams can pass all over us. Maybe its the coverage or maybe the rush. Sometimes Teams like the Jets give up massive points. still have a great D, but their scheme can be figured out by teams. the benefit of the 3-4 Defense is the constant blitzing from all over the field. Sometimes you don't blitz any extra guys. You need a pure pass rusher to get to the QB on a consistent basis. Even just pushing the pocket back keeps the QB uncomfortable. a shut down corner is great but you see teams just stay away from champ bailey, revis, woodson or whoever. Denver has sucked for awhile, jets always get close but have an up and down regular season and the packers had to win in the last week to get into the playoffs. i would rather model after the steelers who have an unbelieveable pass rush...they shut down the run and their corners are average or a little better. Troy P. really helps them in coverage a lot as well...
I am not sold on Miller.

Peterson is a solid CB and a returner which would free up Ginn some more for his WR duties.