There are 148 users in the forums

Von Miller or Patrick Petersen

Von Miller or Patrick Petersen

Originally posted by Chief:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by genus49:

I am a grown man that knows you don't sue someone you don't even work for yet. He is against a rookie pay scale and has never played a down in the NFL, imagine what happens if he has 15 sacks in a contract year. I don't care about him being a Cowboys fan, I care about the fact he showed up in court purely for money issues without ever putting a professional day in. He wants to get paid his big contract just in case he is a complete bust.

...and yes, I understand wanting to get paid but it shows some major character flaws in my opinion.

...and if Patrick Willis was involved he is a proven player in the NFL and would have every right.

If anything I think it shows he has high morals. This suit is not about money. There is a reason they talk about him being courageous - because putting his name on that suit brings out the type of response you just posted above.

I may not agree with the process but what it all comes down to is the players are trying to protect themselves and get themselves taken care of, get retired players taken care of and make sure future generations of NFL players aren't screwed over.

They needed a future NFL player to be represented - Von Miller stepped up. I don't think it has anything to do with him trying to get paid. If he was a money chaser he could've come out last year where I believe he had the most sacks in DIV I.

I think your take on the situation is completely delusional and your assumptions that him putting his name on this suit shows that he's a money grabbing bust waiting to happen are way out there.

And for the record I'm not even that big a Von Miller fan but nothing out there has ever shown that this kid is greedy or has any character issues what so ever.

I support your opinion genus, Miller stepped up when the easy thing to do would be duck and cover. It shows he has interest in the game beyond his own paycheck and situation. Don't understand how anyone can see that as selfish.

Ironically, I don't like Dallas and think Quinn would be a better choice than Von Miller, but am now reassessing after he has shown some courage and commitment to players in general. He will get his money no matter the result of a new CBA deal.

Perhaps it means he is more devoted and I am wrong, it just seems wrong to sue your future employer before they hire you.

Can see your point and admit it is a bit cheeky! But under the circumstances, the NFL being a monopoly, I can't see it as improper. If it drops his draft position it will have been a selfless move.
  • Tombo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by genus49:

I am a grown man that knows you don't sue someone you don't even work for yet. He is against a rookie pay scale and has never played a down in the NFL, imagine what happens if he has 15 sacks in a contract year. I don't care about him being a Cowboys fan, I care about the fact he showed up in court purely for money issues without ever putting a professional day in. He wants to get paid his big contract just in case he is a complete bust.

...and yes, I understand wanting to get paid but it shows some major character flaws in my opinion.

...and if Patrick Willis was involved he is a proven player in the NFL and would have every right.

If anything I think it shows he has high morals. This suit is not about money. There is a reason they talk about him being courageous - because putting his name on that suit brings out the type of response you just posted above.

I may not agree with the process but what it all comes down to is the players are trying to protect themselves and get themselves taken care of, get retired players taken care of and make sure future generations of NFL players aren't screwed over.

They needed a future NFL player to be represented - Von Miller stepped up. I don't think it has anything to do with him trying to get paid. If he was a money chaser he could've come out last year where I believe he had the most sacks in DIV I.

I think your take on the situation is completely delusional and your assumptions that him putting his name on this suit shows that he's a money grabbing bust waiting to happen are way out there.

And for the record I'm not even that big a Von Miller fan but nothing out there has ever shown that this kid is greedy or has any character issues what so ever.

I support your opinion genus, Miller stepped up when the easy thing to do would be duck and cover. It shows he has interest in the game beyond his own paycheck and situation. Don't understand how anyone can see that as selfish.

Ironically, I don't like Dallas and think Quinn would be a better choice than Von Miller, but am now reassessing after he has shown some courage and commitment to players in general. He will get his money no matter the result of a new CBA deal.

Perhaps it means he is more devoted and I am wrong, it just seems wrong to sue your future employer before they hire you.

Can see your point and admit it is a bit cheeky! But under the circumstances, the NFL being a monopoly, I can't see it as improper. If it drops his draft position it will have been a selfless move.

O.K., I'm gonna get jumped on 'cause I don't have a link, but I recently read somewhere (or maybe saw on NFL Network?), that Miller's dad is involved in the negotiations (on the player's side), and asked Von to represent the draftees. O.K., I'm fair game now!!!!!!!
Peterson scored a 6 on the Wonderlic.. Maybe he didn't try, maybe he is very smart and is sandbagging..

But if he did his best and only got a 6, that is scary bad.. Like a rock, only dumber.
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Peterson scored a 6 on the Wonderlic.. Maybe he didn't try, maybe he is very smart and is sandbagging..

But if he did his best and only got a 6, that is scary bad.. Like a rock, only dumber.

Eh, same as Frank Gore.

linky
Originally posted by jreff22:

linky

link

He scored a 9, not a 6.
Aslong as that rock plays in the NFL like he did in college i'll be more than happy with that rock on the Niners
Whether Peterson scored a 6 or 9 i still want him. Honestly there isnt alot of NFL players that are Smart but are still Football Smart. Seems like alot of them that are dumb are actually better football players. A QB with a 6 or 9 wonderlic no thx but a Corner they know their job should be ok. LB , QB, Safety , and WR are like the biggest position for that imo.
Patrick is the safer pick and we can get a pass rusher in the 2nd or 3rd.

What potential pass rushers can we get in the 2nd or 3rd. i think Peterson is great but as far as depth in the draft, i think there are plenty of corners to be drafted in the 2nd and 3rd round. they are not like Peterson but no one in the later rounds is like Von Miller either.

Originally posted by jacklegniner:
Patrick is the safer pick and we can get a pass rusher in the 2nd or 3rd.

What potential pass rushers can we get in the 2nd or 3rd. i think Peterson is great but as far as depth in the draft, i think there are plenty of corners to be drafted in the 2nd and 3rd round. they are not like Peterson but no one in the later rounds is like Von Miller either.

Brooks Reed... could fall to us in the 2nd. Ayers, Houston, and Moch are all likely to be there. This is one of the deeper drafts in terms of 3-4 OLBs with plenty of tweeners available in the later rounds.

We gotta take Peterson even if Miller is still available. Hypothetically, if these players reach their highest potential, Peterson would still be more valuable. Miller would bring sacks, speed and solid tackling. Which we definitely need. But Peterson would take their #1 receiver out of the game, could come off the edge and rush, mask coverages, fake blitz and drop back as a safety.

As the league trends towards more wide open offenses with 3-4 WR sets, there will be less time to get to the QB taking a premium off of a pass rusher. Alternatively there will be more balls in the air and the need for players who can cover ground in the secondary rises. Also, it's easier to scheme a pass rush if you don't have any good rushers, look at last years sack numbers individually and then as a team compared to the rest of the NFL. But if you don't have anybody good in the secondary, there's no scheming around that. Best the DC can do is switch up zone coverages and hope the QB makes a bad read.
I agree with the second part of your post. i am not that high on reed or moch. maybe ayers or houston could work but thats when we might have to take our QB. so if we go peterson and then if we are lucky to get a ponder than we probably won't address the pass-rush. Free agency at the postion isn't promising either. if Peterson is there, than we take him because it's a need and the BPA. however, if miller was the choice, we draft our qb in the 2nd and still draft some corners after that. The steelers don't have amazing corners. they have a tremendous front 7. we can only stop the run but we dont get after the QB enough. we do compile team sacks but nothing that causes game changing turnovers. i also think we get burned bad by teams that spread the ball. even if peterson stops a vincent jackson or greg jennings or colston, those teams spread the ball so much that it wouldn't matter. they have too much time and protection to make the pass to the 2nd, 3rd or 4th receiver.

[ Edited by jacklegniner on Mar 19, 2011 at 16:35:24 ]
(1) A shut down cornerback has more impact than a good outside pass rusher, (2) our outside linebackers are already good, if not great, while our two corners are average (Spencer) and declining (Clements). No question, take Petersen, or, if he's gone, the guy from Nebraska.
Originally posted by SF69ers:

He scored a 9, not a 6.

Asante Samuel scored a 10. I wouldn't be too concerned. See that guy stick to him like glue. It really doesn't take much brains to be a corner.

[ Edited by tjd808185 on Mar 18, 2011 at 21:17:27 ]
I realize that cb is an instictive position, but would prefer to find players that have cognitive ability beyond tying their shoes.
Share 49ersWebzone