LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 214 users in the forums

draft rumors and news

Scouts Inc.'s Matt Williamson believes LSU CB Patrick Peterson is the best player in the 2011 draft, but that the Panthers will and should draft a quarterback with the No. 1 overall pick.
"They have to get a quarterback," says Williamson. "Apologies to Patrick Peterson, who I think the world of." Williamson points to a good situation for a QB to be brought along in Carolina; the Panthers have a strong run game, a formidable offensive line, and solid young receiver prospects. He says he'd take Blaine Gabbert because "there's less downside" than Cam Newton.

NFL Network's Mike Lombardi believes that Mizzou QB Blaine Gabbert can "seal" the No. 1 pick in the draft with an "impressive" Thursday Pro Day.
Gabbert has an edge over Cam Newton in terms of character and off-field history, and his work ethic has drawn comparisons to Matt Ryan's. A recent SI.com report, however, stated that the Panthers' coaching staff "doesn't really love" Gabbert, preferring Newton. We have Newton No. 1 in our latest mock, but the top-five picks are as fluid as they've ever been this time of year.

rotoworld.com

No one knows what the heck is going to happen.
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
Scouts Inc.'s Matt Williamson believes LSU CB Patrick Peterson is the best player in the 2011 draft, but that the Panthers will and should draft a quarterback with the No. 1 overall pick.
"They have to get a quarterback," says Williamson. "Apologies to Patrick Peterson, who I think the world of." Williamson points to a good situation for a QB to be brought along in Carolina; the Panthers have a strong run game, a formidable offensive line, and solid young receiver prospects. He says he'd take Blaine Gabbert because "there's less downside" than Cam Newton.

NFL Network's Mike Lombardi believes that Mizzou QB Blaine Gabbert can "seal" the No. 1 pick in the draft with an "impressive" Thursday Pro Day.
Gabbert has an edge over Cam Newton in terms of character and off-field history, and his work ethic has drawn comparisons to Matt Ryan's. A recent SI.com report, however, stated that the Panthers' coaching staff "doesn't really love" Gabbert, preferring Newton. We have Newton No. 1 in our latest mock, but the top-five picks are as fluid as they've ever been this time of year.

rotoworld.com

Makes the first five picks more exciting and interesting. We have known for some time over the last four years, who was going to go #1. Now, the fluidity only drives the curiosity further.

Who will be #1? Will both QBs go in the top 5? Who will drop to us? Miller or Peterson?

Originally posted by ninertico:

rotoworld.com

Makes the first five picks more exciting and interesting. We have known for some time over the last four years, who was going to go #1. Now, the fluidity only drives the curiosity further.

Who will be #1? Will both QBs go in the top 5? Who will drop to us? Miller or Peterson?

If both QB's go early, this really drives a great player into our lap that we may have not been expecting. I still think Peterson, Miller and Dareus go before us, but prospects like Bowers, Fairley, Green may all be on the board when the team picks at seven.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

rotoworld.com

Hopefully Arizona drafts a QB with the 5th pick, would love to see our defense destroy his confidence every time he faces us.

Patrick Peterson
Von Miller
Marcell Dareus
Nick Fairley
Robert Quinn - Most likely to be there at #7, but would rather trade down if hes the only option of the four listed left.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

rotoworld.com

If both QB's go early, this really drives a great player into our lap that we may have not been expecting. I still think Peterson, Miller and Dareus go before us, but prospects like Bowers, Fairley, Green may all be on the board when the team picks at seven.

Yea, I can really see my top three in Dareus, Peterson and Miller gone before we pick with possibly Dallas jumping to #6 to nab Peterson in front of us. I can see Bowers, Fairley and Green sliding a bit. However, Quinn and Amukamara wouldn't be any slouches either, right?

Could we use Bowers or Fairley, more of the 4-3 types? I heard some teams asked if Bowers could stand up to rush. Hmmmmm...don't think so.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Originally posted by valrod33:
NFL teams reportedly taking Jimmy Smith off their board | National Football Post http://t.co/uTvYq3Z via @ravensinsider

Could be good for us if Peterson isn't available in the 1st.

Does this guy have a long wrap sheet or some other issues not in this article? Hard to believe that this guy has fallen completely off of teams draft board b/c he got caught with alcohol as a freshman. Gotta be something else.

The bigger issue is that teams feel he doesn't take personal responsibility for actions in the past, and is blaming others. I guess there is little to no humility in him, a lack of accountability for personal actions, and we usually know this leads to police blotter down the road.

Smith has some serious red flags regarding character, including how hard he will work on and off the field to make himself a good football player.

He must be doing horribly wrong in the interview process. But i still think he's going in the late 1st early 2nd.
I know Smith has some personal shortfalls...but, I also know many Big 12 QB's wouldn't throw on his side of the field because of his skills. That's why teams do their homework...and do personal interviews to determine if he's worth any potential risks. A lot of college player make mistakes...particularly in their early years when they're pretty immature. If he's learned from them and has kept his nose clean afterwards, he'll still likely go in rd 1.
WesBunting

Talked with a scout earlier who said don't be shocked if Von Miller or Patrick Peterson go first overall, no real baggage attached #NFLDRAFT

rotoworld.com

Yea, I can really see my top three in Dareus, Peterson and Miller gone before we pick with possibly Dallas jumping to #6 to nab Peterson in front of us. I can see Bowers, Fairley and Green sliding a bit. However, Quinn and Amukamara wouldn't be any slouches either, right?

Could we use Bowers or Fairley, more of the 4-3 types? I heard some teams asked if Bowers could stand up to rush. Hmmmmm...don't think so.

Bowers is already at 280, so he is only going to get bigger along the way. My guess is that he will be a 4-3 DE for some time, but grow into a 3-4 DE by the end of his career.

Fairley is perfect as a 4-3 undertackle, but I think he is not the best player in a 3-4 DE role. I'd rather take a longer player like JJ Watt for that role.
NFL teams reportedly taking Jimmy Smith off their board | National Football Post http://t.co/uTvYq3Z via @ravensinsider

Does this guy have a long wrap sheet or some other issues not in this article? Hard to believe that this guy has fallen completely off of teams draft board b/c he got caught with alcohol as a freshman. Gotta be something else.

The bigger issue is that teams feel he doesn't take personal responsibility for actions in the past, and is blaming others. I guess there is little to no humility in him, a lack of accountability for personal actions, and we usually know this leads to police blotter down the road.

Smith has some serious red flags regarding character, including how hard he will work on and off the field to make himself a good football player.

He must be doing horribly wrong in the interview process. But i still think he's going in the late 1st early 2nd.

I agree. It only take one team to draft the guy, and the talent is tremendous. He's not going to slide far, if at all.

WesBunting

Talked with a scout earlier who said don't be shocked if Von Miller or Patrick Peterson go first overall, no real baggage attached #NFLDRAFT

They are the safest players in the draft. I still think Gabbert will throw very well in 48 hours and be the horse to beat for the Panthers' pick. It seems like nobody likes Clausen in the organization.
WesBunting

They are the safest players in the draft. I still think Gabbert will throw very well in 48 hours and be the horse to beat for the Panthers' pick. It seems like nobody likes Clausen in the organization.

Carolina is solid at LB

I agree. It only take one team to draft the guy, and the talent is tremendous. He's not going to slide far, if at all.

It will be interesting to see where he goes. Obviously, all it takes is one team to buck a trend, but often these "issues" that pop up during the the pre-draft season seem to take on a life of their own.

Good or bad. Skill, size, character, whatever. It seems like once there is a consensus on a player from the combine, his workouts and/or interviews, most of the NFL falls into lockstep with that opinion.

It's why I'm always wary of guys who stock suddenly goes significantly up or down during this time of year.

It's very hard for me to put a couple workouts or a 15 minute interview over years (usually) of a college career and recommendations or warnings from coaches and other players who has spent significant time in the trenches with a given guy.
Originally posted by wailers15:
WesBunting

Carolina is solid at LB

And, drafting a 4-3 OLB at number one makes zero sense. They'd be better off staying in the 3-4.
WesBunting

It still amazes me how a pro day affects the stock of a QB so much. Alex Smith had a near perfect or perfect pro day, was it? Gabbert having a pro day similar to Smith's will easily put him in the top 5 if not top 2 or 3.
Share 49ersWebzone