There are 391 users in the forums
Where to pick Gore's replacement?
Browse 49ers books and videos
Mar 3, 2011 at 7:22 AM
- bigmike55
- Veteran
- Posts: 3,474
Big Dix
Mar 3, 2011 at 7:30 AM
- Mr.Mcgibblets
- Veteran
- Posts: 15,079
We have our inside runners. I want a guy that can turn the corner and hurt defenses with speed. Fairly thick RB draft and lesser team needs can push some of these RBs further than you might think. I think we can wait until the 4th or later to scoop up a great value. Some preferred targets I am thinking of right now are Derrick Locke, Noel Devine, Da'Rel Scott, Mario Fannin, Roy Helu... maybe just maybe guys like Shane Vereen, Delone Carter, or Jordan Todman fall farther than we think...
Mar 3, 2011 at 7:30 AM
- valrod33
- Hall of Small
- Posts: 138,120
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Big Dix
Mar 3, 2011 at 7:49 AM
- psb1
- Veteran
- Posts: 2
Stevan Ridley (LSU)
Mar 3, 2011 at 8:21 AM
- evil
- Veteran
- Posts: 46,737
Originally posted by oldman9er:
We have our inside runners. I want a guy that can turn the corner and hurt defenses with speed. Fairly thick RB draft and lesser team needs can push some of these RBs further than you might think. I think we can wait until the 4th or later to scoop up a great value. Some preferred targets I am thinking of right now are Derrick Locke, Noel Devine, Da'Rel Scott, Mario Fannin, Roy Helu... maybe just maybe guys like Shane Vereen, Delone Carter, or Jordan Todman fall farther than we think...
Agreed that we need a quicker and shiftier type of scatback and there should be some good values on day 3 of the draft, no need to take one higher than that unless there is someone sitting there far and away BPA on our board.
Helu seems tailor made for the ZBS and something tells me he is going to be a Redskin where he can pop 1000 under Shanny and join that club.
Mar 3, 2011 at 8:26 AM
- LumpiaJeff
- Veteran
- Posts: 51,513
My two favorite running backs outside of the 1st round are Jacquizz Rodgers and Dion Lewis.
Mar 3, 2011 at 9:02 AM
- jreff22
- Veteran
- Posts: 67,409
I don't like this years RB class
Mar 3, 2011 at 9:04 AM
- TheFunkyChicken
- Veteran
- Posts: 4,364
I don't know if I agree that we're looking for Gore's replacement.
But I'm a fan of drafting Shane Vereen, who I think could end up being an every down runner some day.
But I'm a fan of drafting Shane Vereen, who I think could end up being an every down runner some day.
Mar 3, 2011 at 9:29 AM
- elguapo
- Veteran
- Posts: 26,496
Probably the fourth round and hope he is ready to sit for three years until gore is done. Then he will probably rotate with dixon for a bit then start. I like green and rogers
Mar 3, 2011 at 9:36 AM
- NC49erfan82
- Veteran
- Posts: 12,658
In next years draft. LaMichael James FTW!!!
Mar 3, 2011 at 9:37 AM
- OregonDuckNiner
- Veteran
- Posts: 6,385
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:
In next years draft. LaMichael James FTW!!!

Not a starting running back in the NFL though IMO
MAYBE a Darren Sproles
Mar 3, 2011 at 9:45 AM
- NC49erfan82
- Veteran
- Posts: 12,658
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:Originally posted by NC49erfan82:
In next years draft. LaMichael James FTW!!!
Not a starting running back in the NFL though IMO
MAYBE a Darren Sproles
You think he's not an NFL starter? Look how hard he hits the line and is gone.
I am sold on him. I also would not mine Demarco Murray from Oklahoma.
Mar 3, 2011 at 10:39 AM
- MadDog49er
- Hall of Fame
- Posts: 19,400
I wouldn't burn a high draft pick on a RB in 2011. Gore has another year or two left on the tires, and I think the team wants to incorporate Dixon in the running game much more in 2011. If the team elects to draft a late rounder on one, there will be guys who can contribute.
A couple of the best rookie backs last year were undrafted, Blount and Ivory. The system, and the ability get get snaps makes all the difference in the world. Maybe a guy who is really falling, like John Clay, can help.
For now, too many bigger issues: CB, OLB, NT, DE, QB.
The RB with the best hands in the draft is Brandon Saine, and it might not even be close. The Buckeyes split him out at receiver in many formations because his hands are that reliable. Something to consider as a WCO team.
A couple of the best rookie backs last year were undrafted, Blount and Ivory. The system, and the ability get get snaps makes all the difference in the world. Maybe a guy who is really falling, like John Clay, can help.
For now, too many bigger issues: CB, OLB, NT, DE, QB.
The RB with the best hands in the draft is Brandon Saine, and it might not even be close. The Buckeyes split him out at receiver in many formations because his hands are that reliable. Something to consider as a WCO team.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Mar 3, 2011 at 10:45 AM ]
Mar 3, 2011 at 10:43 AM
- AlohaBruh
- Veteran
- Posts: 3,521
Originally posted by valrod33:Originally posted by bigmike55:
Big Dix
Not sold on him yet.....