There are 97 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

FCUK Robert Quinn

Originally posted by Chief:
I'm not on this wagon 100% but in my final mock I have the 49ers taking him with Gabbert still on the board.

I would be happy with Quinn if Peterson and Miller are gone.

i think the niners draft board looks like this

peterson
miller
dareus
quinn
prince
gabbert
Interesting interview with Butch Davis today, where he said Quinn's best fit is in the 4/3, but he thinks he could do OK in the 3/4. Not exactly a ringing endorsement. I was a bit surprised.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Interesting interview with Butch Davis today, where he said Quinn's best fit is in the 4/3, but he thinks he could do OK in the 3/4. Not exactly a ringing endorsement. I was a bit surprised.

Let's not listen to Butch Davis. He is a damn good college coach, but at the NFL level - he consistently put his players in systems they didn't fit
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:

Let's not listen to Butch Davis. He is a damn good college coach, but at the NFL level - he consistently put his players in systems they didn't fit

Butch Davis should get more respect then that. If anyone knows DLineman, he'd be it. He played the position, coached it under Jimmy Johnson at Miami and Dallas. And his "bad" coaching wasn't as bad at it's made out to be. He took a team that was 3-13 the year before (with Tim Couch as his QB) and in his 1st year improved to 7-9, then took them to the playoffs with a 9-7 losing in a good game against the Steelers. Granted he followd His first 3 years his defense ranked 15th, 10th, and 12th in Points Against. Not the greatest, but not horrible either. His undoing was his 4th year, they started out horrible and got waxed by the Bengals and they forced him to resign. Know who the last Brown's HC lead them to the playoffs was? Butch Davis in 2002. Before him? Belichick in 1994. I wouldn't discredit Butch Davis just cause he had a a couple bad season with the Browns. They Browns are habitual losers.
I'd 100% take into account what Davis has to say about any of his DLineman. Its not a coincedence that Kentwan Balmer didn't really do much in college until his Sr.year (Butch Davis's 1st at UNC).
Originally posted by Travisty13:

Butch Davis should get more respect then that. If anyone knows DLineman, he'd be it. He played the position, coached it under Jimmy Johnson at Miami and Dallas. And his "bad" coaching wasn't as bad at it's made out to be. He took a team that was 3-13 the year before (with Tim Couch as his QB) and in his 1st year improved to 7-9, then took them to the playoffs with a 9-7 losing in a good game against the Steelers. Granted he followd His first 3 years his defense ranked 15th, 10th, and 12th in Points Against. Not the greatest, but not horrible either. His undoing was his 4th year, they started out horrible and got waxed by the Bengals and they forced him to resign. Know who the last Brown's HC lead them to the playoffs was? Butch Davis in 2002. Before him? Belichick in 1994. I wouldn't discredit Butch Davis just cause he had a a couple bad season with the Browns. They Browns are habitual losers.
I'd 100% take into account what Davis has to say about any of his DLineman. Its not a coincedence that Kentwan Balmer didn't really do much in college until his Sr.year (Butch Davis's 1st at UNC).

We're going to play in both 4-3 and 3-4 fronts. DC Vic Fangio called it a "4-3-4" when talking to the media shortly after being hired. I think Robert Quinn would fit in just fine! He's a dynamic pass rusher in either scheme. VERSATILITY is what it's all about!
[ Edited by PTulini on Apr 23, 2011 at 5:17 AM ]
Originally posted by PTulini:

We're going to play in both 4-3 and 3-4 fronts. DC Vic Fangio called it a "4-3-4" when talking to the media shortly after being hired. I think Robert Quinn would fit in just fine! He's a dynamic pass rusher in either scheme. VERSATILITY is what it's all about!

Hope you are right PT, I really like the guy and hope he is the 9ers choice. Davis' comments did give me pause though.

Hope you are right PT, I really like the guy and hope he is the 9ers choice. Davis' comments did give me pause though.

- Butch Davis Interview

Butch Davis said Robert Quinn's best position is as a 4-3 DE, but he didn't say that's all he could do. Davis didn't say anything shocking, we already knew that. However, I do disagree with him about comparing Quinn to Michael Strahan! I don't see that? If anyone, he compares best to DeMarcus Ware.

- Butch Davis Interview

Butch Davis said Robert Quinn's best position is as a 4-3 DE, but he didn't say that's all he could do. Davis didn't say anything shocking, we already knew that. However, I do disagree with him about comparing Quinn to Michael Strahan! I don't see that? If anyone, he compares best to DeMarcus Ware.

The interview I watched was on CSN but had a similar bent. Some quotes from the site you cite (paraphrased because I don't type fast enough to take dictation).

"Clearly his best position is 4/3 end." "He could stand up at OLB but that's not the best thing he does." While this isn't negative, it isn't a ringing endorsement of his 3/4 play.

- Butch Davis Interview

The interview I watched was on CSN but had a similar bent. Some quotes from the site you cite (paraphrased because I don't type fast enough to take dictation).

"Clearly his best position is 4/3 end." "He could stand up at OLB but that's not the best thing he does." While this isn't negative, it isn't a ringing endorsement of his 3/4 play.

Quote:
Quinn could dominate in any 'D'

By Mel Kiper Jr.
ESPN.com

My colleague, Todd McShay, is absolutely right to say that Texas A&M's Von Miller represents a perfect example of a potential "instant impact" talent at the NFL level. After all, Miller's size, skills, athleticism and maturity make him a dynamic player as a pass-rushing 3-4 outside linebacker, a player who fits the scheme of any team that runs that system.

But he doesn't fit every system the way North Carolina defensive end/linebacker Robert Quinn does.

While Miller can fit a specific mold, Quinn could become dominant in any defense early in his career. As a gifted pass-rusher with the strength and smarts to be effective against the run in a 4-3, Quinn also has the athleticism, length and instincts to develop into a frightening threat to quarterbacks in a 3-4 scheme. For comparison, consider DeMarcus Ware of the Dallas Cowboys. Ware and Quinn have a similar build -- Ware is 6-foot-4 and plays at about 265 pounds. Quinn is 6-5 and plays at about 270 pounds. As an NFL prospect, Ware was tagged with the "tweener" label by many scouts, and rightly so. Before the 2005 draft, there were concerns that Ware, a defensive end at Troy, was a little bit shy of the ideal size for a 4-3 defensive end and perhaps a little too bulky to play outside linebacker in a 3-4.

But while that "tweener" description is often considered a negative, with such a special talent, it can be smarter to focus on the idea that he could fit anywhere. Quinn could be such a player. He is athletic enough to become an immediate pass-rushing threat in a 3-4 or 4-3. Houston, which needs help in building the 3-4, could use him right away. So could Tennessee, which needs a 4-3 defensive end. Or even Buffalo, which could employ a 3-4 or a 4-3, depending on personnel.

With skills potentially worthy of a No. 1 overall pick, Quinn could be the guy who impacts a team immediately. He's the round or square peg of this draft.

- ESPN

- Butch Davis Interview

Quote:
Quinn could dominate in any 'D'

By Mel Kiper Jr.
ESPN.com

My colleague, Todd McShay, is absolutely right to say that Texas A&M's Von Miller represents a perfect example of a potential "instant impact" talent at the NFL level. After all, Miller's size, skills, athleticism and maturity make him a dynamic player as a pass-rushing 3-4 outside linebacker, a player who fits the scheme of any team that runs that system.

But he doesn't fit every system the way North Carolina defensive end/linebacker Robert Quinn does.

While Miller can fit a specific mold, Quinn could become dominant in any defense early in his career. As a gifted pass-rusher with the strength and smarts to be effective against the run in a 4-3, Quinn also has the athleticism, length and instincts to develop into a frightening threat to quarterbacks in a 3-4 scheme. For comparison, consider DeMarcus Ware of the Dallas Cowboys. Ware and Quinn have a similar build -- Ware is 6-foot-4 and plays at about 265 pounds. Quinn is 6-5 and plays at about 270 pounds. As an NFL prospect, Ware was tagged with the "tweener" label by many scouts, and rightly so. Before the 2005 draft, there were concerns that Ware, a defensive end at Troy, was a little bit shy of the ideal size for a 4-3 defensive end and perhaps a little too bulky to play outside linebacker in a 3-4.

But while that "tweener" description is often considered a negative, with such a special talent, it can be smarter to focus on the idea that he could fit anywhere. Quinn could be such a player. He is athletic enough to become an immediate pass-rushing threat in a 3-4 or 4-3. Houston, which needs help in building the 3-4, could use him right away. So could Tennessee, which needs a 4-3 defensive end. Or even Buffalo, which could employ a 3-4 or a 4-3, depending on personnel.

With skills potentially worthy of a No. 1 overall pick, Quinn could be the guy who impacts a team immediately. He's the round or square peg of this draft.

- ESPN

I like this one much better! (Had something in my eye!)
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Apr 23, 2011 at 8:49 AM ]
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by Chief:
I'm not on this wagon 100% but in my final mock I have the 49ers taking him with Gabbert still on the board.

I would be happy with Quinn if Peterson and Miller are gone.

i think the niners draft board looks like this

peterson
miller
dareus
trade back
quinn
prince
gabbert

I hope it's more like this
Balmer part II
  • KRS-1
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Balmer part II

So that would make Patrick Peterson Chevis Jackson part deux then
Balmer part II

The knock on Balmer coming out was his motor, Quinn's motor never stops. Bad comparison other than same school.
Balmer part II

the last physically fftedplayer out of LSU was jamarcuss russel

lets just forget peterson then