There are 113 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Mel Kiper mock

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
Who does Quinn compare to the most in the NFL? If there are two players, state them both.
If he is a hybrid between two players, let's us know what you think.

I, personally dont know much about him.

Probably a more athletic version of the Cowboys Anthony Spencer, or perhaps a less-skilled version of John Abraham.

Thanks, but with the 7th overall, I was hoping to hear he was like 'a more agile Darnell Dockett'!
i dont want a player that hasnt seen live football action in over a year let alone one in the top 10...give me prince
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
Who does Quinn compare to the most in the NFL? If there are two players, state them both.
If he is a hybrid between two players, let's us know what you think.

I, personally dont know much about him.

Probably a more athletic version of the Cowboys Anthony Spencer, or perhaps a less-skilled version of John Abraham.

Thanks, but with the 7th overall, I was hoping to hear he was like 'a more agile Darnell Dockett'!

Now, he wasn't that big...at least not while he was on the team. He was 6'5", 266 at UNC, ran a 4.38 in college, power cleaned 374 and was a 3-time high school wrestling champ (86-0 his last three years). He's just a stud athlete and the comparisons to Peppers were legit.

But who knows now, maybe he pulled a Panda and is now closer to 3 bills.
The last D lineman from NC didn't turn out too well.
Amukamara> Quinn
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
I can dig it.
  • Otter
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 22,936
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by tstej:
Quinn took illegal benefits while in college but what other character issues does he have? I doubt taking some money on the side while playing college ball is a major character issue for nfl teams.

I disagree. It speaks to his integrity, his willingness to break well-known rules and put himself over his team and it calls into question his personal motivation (money or football). Again, not saying he's a total scumbag, but these questions need to be answered to the satisfaction of a team that will be paying this kid millions of dollars to play a team sport.

Weren't you arguing the opposite of these things when it came to Cam Newton?
I prefer a dominant pass rusher over a dominant cover cornerback. Just his potential ability to wreak havoc on on both sides of the offensive line brings back memories of Charles Haley. And I've heard Quinn compared to Peppers. But I'd be happy with Prince too.
Originally posted by Otter:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by tstej:
Quinn took illegal benefits while in college but what other character issues does he have? I doubt taking some money on the side while playing college ball is a major character issue for nfl teams.

I disagree. It speaks to his integrity, his willingness to break well-known rules and put himself over his team and it calls into question his personal motivation (money or football). Again, not saying he's a total scumbag, but these questions need to be answered to the satisfaction of a team that will be paying this kid millions of dollars to play a team sport.

Weren't you arguing the opposite of these things when it came to Cam Newton?

While I wouldn't hate the selection of Quinn, at this point, it would really make me doubt our drafting strategy if Prince and several others were still on the board.

For years now, I've been as big an advocate for us getting a pass rusher as anyone, and have been super-critical of the team for not drafting one with a higher pick.

However, unless Quinn has a stellar combine, pro-days and interviews, he will likely fall.

Given "character" issues, (which I think are bunk, but could scare off GMs needing to pay top 10 money), and more importantly, being out of football for so long, all it will take is one poor showing, a little extra weight, or even a rumor of bad work ethic, attitude, whatever, to see his stock plummet. He seems like too much of a boom or bust gamble at 7 for a team with RIGHT NOW needs.

Plus, even if he turns out to be great, he will probably need at least a year or so to get back into football shape and another year to really acclimate to the pro game. He's bound to be at least a year behind players who have played this year.

Just look at Michael Vick. Even having played pro ball at a very high level before, his first year back after being away, he was pretty terrible. It wasn't until after a full season of NFL play and a second off season and training camp that he got up to speed again.

Frankly, if we are going pass rusher at 7, I'd feel much safer with Ayers or Von Miller.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I'd be shocked if the Niners picked Quinn. Not a high character guy, and in a position that is not as necessary as CB. The pick in this mock would probably be Prince, or Newton.

The reason I'd be shocked is because I think he's going to drafted before 7. If he's there I have no problem taking him. Talent-wise he may be top 2-3 in the entire draft.
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
While I wouldn't hate the selection of Quinn, at this point, it would really make me doubt our drafting strategy if Prince and several others were still on the board.

For years now, I've been as big an advocate for us getting a pass rusher as anyone, and have been super-critical of the team for not drafting one with a higher pick.

However, unless Quinn has a stellar combine, pro-days and interviews, he will likely fall.

Given "character" issues, (which I think are bunk, but could scare off GMs needing to pay top 10 money), and more importantly, being out of football for so long, all it will take is one poor showing, a little extra weight, or even a rumor of bad work ethic, attitude, whatever, to see his stock plummet. He seems like too much of a boom or bust gamble at 7 for a team with RIGHT NOW needs.

Plus, even if he turns out to be great, he will probably need at least a year or so to get back into football shape and another year to really acclimate to the pro game. He's bound to be at least a year behind players who have played this year.

Just look at Michael Vick. Even having played pro ball at a very high level before, his first year back after being away, he was pretty terrible. It wasn't until after a full season of NFL play and a second off season and training camp that he got up to speed again.

Frankly, if we are going pass rusher at 7, I'd feel much safer with Ayers or Von Miller.

Didn't BJ Raji sit out a year at BC? He bounced back fine.
Based on that mock, I would hope we didn't pass on Prince.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 8,206
Originally posted by rayn36:
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
While I wouldn't hate the selection of Quinn, at this point, it would really make me doubt our drafting strategy if Prince and several others were still on the board.

For years now, I've been as big an advocate for us getting a pass rusher as anyone, and have been super-critical of the team for not drafting one with a higher pick.

However, unless Quinn has a stellar combine, pro-days and interviews, he will likely fall.

Given "character" issues, (which I think are bunk, but could scare off GMs needing to pay top 10 money), and more importantly, being out of football for so long, all it will take is one poor showing, a little extra weight, or even a rumor of bad work ethic, attitude, whatever, to see his stock plummet. He seems like too much of a boom or bust gamble at 7 for a team with RIGHT NOW needs.

Plus, even if he turns out to be great, he will probably need at least a year or so to get back into football shape and another year to really acclimate to the pro game. He's bound to be at least a year behind players who have played this year.

Just look at Michael Vick. Even having played pro ball at a very high level before, his first year back after being away, he was pretty terrible. It wasn't until after a full season of NFL play and a second off season and training camp that he got up to speed again.

Frankly, if we are going pass rusher at 7, I'd feel much safer with Ayers or Von Miller.

Didn't BJ Raji sit out a year at BC? He bounced back fine.

He played the year before he went in to the NFL, that's all that matters. Lotsof dudes miss a year in college for injury, Jordan Shipley missed 2, but the year they get drafted is what matters. There hasn't been a singe player I can think of that did not play for an entire season before entering the league. Dez Bryant had 4 or 5 games at least, but he also can't stay on the field either. this team isn't in the position to take a risk on those type of odds. Not on one year wonders either (Balmer, cough Balmer) you take the safe, solid 3-4 year performer like Prince..
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
Who does Quinn compare to the most in the NFL? If there are two players, state them both.
If he is a hybrid between two players, let's us know what you think.

I, personally dont know much about him.

Probably a more athletic version of the Cowboys Anthony Spencer, or perhaps a less-skilled version of John Abraham.

Thanks, but with the 7th overall, I was hoping to hear he was like 'a more agile Darnell Dockett'!

Now, he wasn't that big...at least not while he was on the team. He was 6'5", 266 at UNC, ran a 4.38 in college, power cleaned 374 and was a 3-time high school wrestling champ (86-0 his last three years). He's just a stud athlete and the comparisons to Peppers were legit.

But who knows now, maybe he pulled a Panda and is now closer to 3 bills.

Those numbers are scary!!!

I had to look them up to believe it. I think he is a lot closer to Peppers and D Ware than Spencer.