LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 407 users in the forums

Mel Kiper mock

I'm assuming that Quinn would be a DE, not a OLB in the 3-4? If so, I'll pass. We need pass rusher or shut down CB.
Originally posted by Schulzy:
I'm assuming that Quinn would be a DE, not a OLB in the 3-4? If so, I'll pass. We need pass rusher or shut down CB.

He's athletic enough to play OLB in a 3-4.

Quinn would be a rush OLB, and would be a great pick (IMO). Not sure though if Harbaugh is a "character over talent" type of NFL coach, though. If so, I could see him passing on Quinn. However, if Harbaugh just wants talent and can deal with the character issue-types, Quinn is ideal (assuming he's stayed in shape and impresses at the combine/private workouts).
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by ishkabibel:
Based on past history, no credability should be given to Mel's mocks. Just not his forte.

Its just cool to see the different mocks and what players eacht guy has us taking

You're right. Just sayin. Didn't mean to take the starch out of anyoue's enthusiasm.
  • tstej
  • Veteran
Quinn took illegal benefits while in college but what other character issues does he have? I doubt taking some money on the side while playing college ball is a major character issue for nfl teams.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

Quinn would be a rush OLB, and would be a great pick (IMO). Not sure though if Harbaugh is a "character over talent" type of NFL coach, though. If so, I could see him passing on Quinn. However, if Harbaugh just wants talent and can deal with the character issue-types, Quinn is ideal (assuming he's stayed in shape and impresses at the combine/private workouts).

It seems like worse case scenario at 7 we will be deciding between quinn or prince. I think 7 is a great spot because every year there are surprises in the top 10 and hopefully one of those happens before our pick so that somebody drops to us.

I have a feeling that the surprise pick in the top 10 this year will be us taking Locker.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Based on past history, no credability should be given to Mel's mocks. Just not his forte.

Agreed. His strengths are identifying diamonds in the rough long before the pack: Joe Flacco, Mike Iupati, etc.

i think Mel himself has said that people put too much stock in mocks. Instead he and most other draft experts tend to look to see if guys are drafted where they are projected. They are about evaluating talent, and not evaluating every NFL teams needs. If they have guys projected as a 1st rounder and he's drafted in the 3rd then something is wrong where there evaluation. Just like if a guy they have graded out as a 4th rounder, and he's drafted in the 2nd. Only time will tell if they were right or wrong. But if they have a guy going number 8 and he ends up going number 19 then that isn't a big deal. They do mocks b/c ESPN makes them, I'd think he's more comfortable with his big board than his mocks.

i think some guys just get a kick out of saying Kiper, Mayock, or McShay are wrong and I'm right. it's gonna be hit or miss on a lot of these draft picks, but for some reason folks on message board only remember what guys got incorrect. they are gonna make mistakes every year.
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Originally posted by miked1978:
I can live with Quinn. If he didn't get in trouble and had another spectacular year he might have been the #1 overall pick.

Agreed. Not sure what his other "character" flaws are. He took some money but has never been in trouble, from what I know. I could be totally wrong. He'd be perfect as a DE in 4-3 or as a OLB in a 3-4. If Peterson is off the board, I'd love to have Quinn on the roster. I'm not as high on Prince as everyone else, not at 7 atleast.

Define character...if he comes to play and produces then Harbaugh will have not problem. If he doesn't come to play then that is something else. However, remember Stanford had natural high standards for their athletes compared to say USC.
Originally posted by tstej:
Quinn took illegal benefits while in college but what other character issues does he have? I doubt taking some money on the side while playing college ball is a major character issue for nfl teams.

I disagree. It speaks to his integrity, his willingness to break well-known rules and put himself over his team and it calls into question his personal motivation (money or football). Again, not saying he's a total scumbag, but these questions need to be answered to the satisfaction of a team that will be paying this kid millions of dollars to play a team sport.

Originally posted by WildBill:

Define character...if he comes to play and produces then Harbaugh will have not problem. If he doesn't come to play then that is something else. However, remember Stanford had natural high standards for their athletes compared to say USC.

See my post above. Again, I don't know what's in Harbaugh's mind or that I can define "character" in the way he does. As I mentioned, I just don't know his take on these things...some coaches don't care about this type of stuff, others really do.
  • tstej
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tstej:

I disagree. It speaks to his integrity, his willingness to break well-known rules and put himself over his team and it calls into question his personal motivation (money or football). Again, not saying he's a total scumbag, but these questions need to be answered to the satisfaction of a team that will be paying this kid millions of dollars to play a team sport.

He really didn't put himself over the team because about half the defense took benefits he was just one that got caught taking a bit more. The kid will be making millions so he really shouldn't have much need to take any money on the side had he not gotten caught and still played at the same high level I believe Carolina would draft him with the first pick. That kind of talent is hard to pass up on.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

Agreed. His strengths are identifying diamonds in the rough long before the pack: Joe Flacco, Mike Iupati, etc.

i think Mel himself has said that people put too much stock in mocks. Instead he and most other draft experts tend to look to see if guys are drafted where they are projected. They are about evaluating talent, and not evaluating every NFL teams needs. If they have guys projected as a 1st rounder and he's drafted in the 3rd then something is wrong where there evaluation. Just like if a guy they have graded out as a 4th rounder, and he's drafted in the 2nd. Only time will tell if they were right or wrong. But if they have a guy going number 8 and he ends up going number 19 then that isn't a big deal. They do mocks b/c ESPN makes them, I'd think he's more comfortable with his big board than his mocks.

I tend to disagree with this assessment. Check out the Huddle report.com You'll see Mel's top 100 finishes 6=7 every year when compared with other pundits. I quit paying $25 and copy Mad Dog's stuff now. Better and cheaper.

i think some guys just get a kick out of saying Kiper, Mayock, or McShay are wrong and I'm right. it's gonna be hit or miss on a lot of these draft picks, but for some reason folks on message board only remember what guys got incorrect. they are gonna make mistakes every year.
[ Edited by ishkabibel on Jan 19, 2011 at 10:06 AM ]
How accurate has Mel's predictions been for us over the last 3 drafts?
  • tstej
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
How accurate has Mel's predictions been for us over the last 3 drafts?

How accurate has anybody been with the last 3 drafts for the Niners.
Share 49ersWebzone