There are 182 users in the forums

Mel Kiper mock

Meh, i cant believe im saying this but i like Mcshay's pick (Dareus) for us better. Being out of football for a whole season sends up a big red flag to me. In Baalke I trust.
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
Meh, i cant believe im saying this but i like Mcshay's pick (Dareus) for us better. Being out of football for a whole season sends up a big red flag to me. In Baalke I trust.

So football is not like riding a bike then?
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=6037777
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
Originally posted by ishkabibel:
Based on past history, no credability should be given to Mel's mocks. Just not his forte.

Actually, Mel ranks pretty favorably in the accuracy department in comparison to other such pundits. So, I don't know what you are talking about.

http://www.thehuddlereport.com/Free/mockdraftscoring.shtml

Originally posted by mayo49:
If he's like Julius Peppers I say take him.

I think the real debate is about CB vs OLB.

I think our corners are good. With a guy like Ware coming from the edge, people wouldn't even be worrying about our corners.

Also, we have to understand that Manny Lawson is likely not going to return. He is a darn talented player who we can't pay market value for because his best trait is not pass rush, as it should be for a 3-4 OLB. Some other team will pay him big to be a 4-3 outside linebacker.
Are we satisfied with Haralson? Are we counting on Laboy, Brooks?

I think CB and OL are the biggest scapegoat positions in the league because they are the last line of defense when pass rush and likewise quarterbacking struggles. But I think once we have a dangerous player at OLB, nobody will say we have bad corners.

A few years ago, most people were screaming for an OLB, and this position still hasn't been settled. I think quarterbacking and pass rush are the foundations of a good team, and these are the areas I think we are weakest, which causes the usual scapegoat positions to get blamed.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by ishkabibel:
Based on past history, no credability should be given to Mel's mocks. Just not his forte.

Its just cool to see the different mocks and what players eacht guy has us taking

that is how I feel also, it is interesting. Besides, that is Mel 1.0. He will be on 6-8 by the time the combine is done.
Originally posted by BrianGO:

I think our corners are good. With a guy like Ware coming from the edge, people wouldn't even be worrying about our corners.

Also, we have to understand that Manny Lawson is likely not going to return. He is a darn talented player who we can't pay market value for because his best trait is not pass rush, as it should be for a 3-4 OLB. Some other team will pay him big to be a 4-3 outside linebacker.

I think CB and OL are the biggest scapegoat positions in the league because they are the last line of defense when pass rush and likewise quarterbacking struggles. But I think once we have a dangerous player at OLB, nobody will say we have bad corners.

A few years ago, most people were screaming for an OLB, and this position still hasn't been settled. I think quarterbacking and pass rush are the foundations of a good team, and these are the areas I think we are weakest, which causes the usual scapegoat positions to get blamed.

Um....no! That argument doesn't hold up because a good QB and WR can still find a way to hurt you. Ware didn't help the Cowboys D finish better then 26th in passing. YOU NEED GOOD CB's!!!
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by BrianGO:

Um....no! That argument doesn't hold up because a good QB and WR can still find a way to hurt you. Ware didn't help the Cowboys D finish better then 26th in passing. YOU NEED GOOD CB's!!!

This is an argument that no one can win. I was watching NFL network a while ago and they were arguing which was more important: a great pass rusher or a great cornerback. Both sides made great points and it was pretty much a stalemate.
New Kiper mock, its an insider so ill only post the first 7 picks

Carolina-Nick Fairley
Denver-Daquan Bowers
Bills- Cam Newton
Bengals-A.J Green
Cards-Von Miller
Browns-J.J. Watt
49ers- Patrick Peterson
San Francisco has other needs -- in fact, I count three ahead of cornerback -- but Peterson would be too much to pass up here in terms of talent. A freakish athlete, he immediately steps in as a starter at corner, moving that to a position of strength for the Niners. Peterson also adds a dangerous element in the return game. A corner with safety size, Peterson won't need the NFL combine to assure evaluators of his physical skills.

Carolina-Nick Fairley
Denver-Daquan Bowers
Bills- Cam Newton
Bengals-A.J Green
Cards-Von Miller
Browns-J.J. Watt
49ers- Patrick Peterson
San Francisco has other needs -- in fact, I count three ahead of cornerback -- but Peterson would be too much to pass up here in terms of talent. A freakish athlete, he immediately steps in as a starter at corner, moving that to a position of strength for the Niners. Peterson also adds a dangerous element in the return game. A corner with safety size, Peterson won't need the NFL combine to assure evaluators of his physical skills.

This is Sando's take on that pick

Sando's take: Kiper had Peterson going second overall in his previous mock, with the 49ers taking defensive end Robert Quinn at No. 7. Quinn fell to Minnesota at No. 12 in this second mock. As for the 49ers, cornerback is a concern. The team could be parting with veteran starter Nate Clements. Clements has been injured and inconsistent over the past couple seasons, and his salary balloons in 2011. Cornerback is a primary need, but I get what Kiper is saying. Quarterback and pass-rusher are more valuable positions. Cam Newton was the only quarterback off the board at No. 7 in this latest Kiper mock. I've heard some say the 49ers can't afford to take another quarterback early after missing on Alex Smith at No. 1 in 2005, but what kind of thinking is that? The truth, in my view, is that San Francisco cannot afford to miss on another quarterback early in the draft. If the team likes one in this draft, there's no reason to go in another direction.

Carolina-Nick Fairley
Denver-Daquan Bowers
Bills- Cam Newton
Bengals-A.J Green
Cards-Von Miller
Browns-J.J. Watt
49ers- Patrick Peterson

PP in a 9ers uniform , I love the sexy picks!!

Carolina-Nick Fairley
Denver-Daquan Bowers
Bills- Cam Newton
Bengals-A.J Green
Cards-Von Miller
Browns-J.J. Watt
49ers- Patrick Peterson

Does Kiper know the Browns are moving to a 4-3 defense? I thought JJ's value was as a 3-4 defensive end this high in the draft.
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:

Carolina-Nick Fairley
Denver-Daquan Bowers
Bills- Cam Newton
Bengals-A.J Green
Cards-Von Miller
Browns-J.J. Watt
49ers- Patrick Peterson

Does Kiper know the Browns are moving to a 4-3 defense? I thought JJ's value was as a 3-4 defensive end this high in the draft.

Minus Tyson Jackson and it's rare to see a 3-4 DE drafted that high. So I would assume it's b/c he knows they are going to a 4-3. i think Watt can play either.

Carolina-Nick Fairley
Denver-Daquan Bowers
Bills- Cam Newton
Bengals-A.J Green
Cards-Von Miller
Browns-J.J. Watt
49ers- Patrick Peterson

this would be perfect!!!!!!
If the first 5 picks went as Mel predicts Cleveland would be in a PERFECT spot to trade down. Dallas would kill I'm sure to move up 3 spots to draft Petersen ahead of the Niners.
I would almost guarantee that the Browns would move down with a flop with Niners or Cowboys.
Share 49ersWebzone