There are 103 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

86th Annual East-West Shrine Game -- 4 PM EST January 22 on NFL Network

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Dontay Moch, OLB - 6'1", 229.

Bryant Browning, OG - 6'4", 319, 34" reach.

Canadian OT prospect Matthew O'Donnell - nearly 6'10", 335, 35" reach.

That high 4.3 speed makes more sense now with Moch. Chris Carter weighed in at a good weight for a 3-4 backer, at 245. So did Bruce Miller, about 6-1 1/2" and 258 pounds.

I also like Tyrod Taylor coming in at a little over 6'...with his strong arm and scrambling ability, he could be a nice development QB in the 4th-5th, especially with Harbaugh coaching him up. Kid was an honor roll student throughout high school too, so he's not some dumb jock QB. He's bright enough to pick up our system and skilled enough to execute in it.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Dontay Moch, OLB - 6'1", 229.

Bryant Browning, OG - 6'4", 319, 34" reach.

Canadian OT prospect Matthew O'Donnell - nearly 6'10", 335, 35" reach.

Marvin Austin measured at like 6'2'' and 312. Could he potentially play NT? He seems to be shorter and heavier like a lot of teams want in their nose tackles, and we all know he's real talented.

What are some other guys from this game that you guys like? I like Brandyn Thompson the CB from Boise St. but I dunno where he's projected to go.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Dontay Moch, OLB - 6'1", 229.

Bryant Browning, OG - 6'4", 319, 34" reach.

Canadian OT prospect Matthew O'Donnell - nearly 6'10", 335, 35" reach.

Marvin Austin measured at like 6'2'' and 312. Could he potentially play NT? He seems to be shorter and heavier like a lot of teams want in their nose tackles, and we all know he's real talented.

What are some other guys from this game that you guys like? I like Brandyn Thompson the CB from Boise St. but I dunno where he's projected to go.

Austin seems to be more of a 4-3 type of player from a style standpoint (not sure he holds up well as a 2-gap), but he definitely has the size/frame for a 3-4 NT.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Really, a pretty lean roster this year. All eyes should be on Austin and Moch. Moch could be one of the more intriguing players in the draft, as he reportedly has run under 4.40, for a LB/hybrid 3-4 player. Should be fascinating to watch.

I expect both of these players to land somewhere in that second round. Beyond these two, I see a lot of mid-late rounders, and many undrafted free agents.

Devlin and Taylor will get a good look, for different reasons. Can Devlin play with the big boys, and is Taylor willing to take some reps at another position. More than likely, Devlin will end up being a 3rd-4th rounder, and Taylor a QB/Slash/Wildcat player if drafted.

MadDog, quick question on Moch. The kid has crazy physical tools, but what about his football instincts? Will he be able to move to a 3-4 OLB/pass rusher position and handle the coverage responsibilities? If you have a take, I'd like to hear it.......

Great question. I think he is a guy who can fly around the corner, but can he backpedal and drop into coverage? I think he is more than athletic enough to pull it off. His height may be an issue more than anything else for teams. Big wild card this offseason. Should be a blast to watch.

Moch, Watt, and Paea may be the three most athletic, non-secondary defenders in this draft.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Really, a pretty lean roster this year. All eyes should be on Austin and Moch. Moch could be one of the more intriguing players in the draft, as he reportedly has run under 4.40, for a LB/hybrid 3-4 player. Should be fascinating to watch.

I expect both of these players to land somewhere in that second round. Beyond these two, I see a lot of mid-late rounders, and many undrafted free agents.

Devlin and Taylor will get a good look, for different reasons. Can Devlin play with the big boys, and is Taylor willing to take some reps at another position. More than likely, Devlin will end up being a 3rd-4th rounder, and Taylor a QB/Slash/Wildcat player if drafted.

MadDog, quick question on Moch. The kid has crazy physical tools, but what about his football instincts? Will he be able to move to a 3-4 OLB/pass rusher position and handle the coverage responsibilities? If you have a take, I'd like to hear it.......

Great question. I think he is a guy who can fly around the corner, but can he backpedal and drop into coverage? I think he is more than athletic enough to pull it off. His height and size may be an issue more than anything else for teams. He and Von Miller need to put on some weight. Big wild card this offseason. Should be a blast to watch.

Moch, Watt, and Paea may be the three most athletic, non-secondary defenders in this draft.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Really, a pretty lean roster this year. All eyes should be on Austin and Moch. Moch could be one of the more intriguing players in the draft, as he reportedly has run under 4.40, for a LB/hybrid 3-4 player. Should be fascinating to watch.

I expect both of these players to land somewhere in that second round. Beyond these two, I see a lot of mid-late rounders, and many undrafted free agents.

Devlin and Taylor will get a good look, for different reasons. Can Devlin play with the big boys, and is Taylor willing to take some reps at another position. More than likely, Devlin will end up being a 3rd-4th rounder, and Taylor a QB/Slash/Wildcat player if drafted.

MadDog, quick question on Moch. The kid has crazy physical tools, but what about his football instincts? Will he be able to move to a 3-4 OLB/pass rusher position and handle the coverage responsibilities? If you have a take, I'd like to hear it.......

Great question. I think he is a guy who can fly around the corner, but can he backpedal and drop into coverage? I think he is more than athletic enough to pull it off. His height and size may be an issue more than anything else for teams. He and Von Miller need to put on some weight. Big wild card this offseason. Should be a blast to watch.

Moch, Watt, and Paea may be the three most athletic, non-secondary defenders in this draft.

Moch will probably wind up on a team like Detroit or Philly.

After Cameron Heyward, Watt is my next favorite lineman prospect outside the top ten of the draft.

Personally, I think we could find tremendous value trading down and landing an extra second. But we have to ask ourselves if that is really worth it when we could land what appears to be one of the 7 elite prospects entering this draft.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Dontay Moch, OLB - 6'1", 229.

Bryant Browning, OG - 6'4", 319, 34" reach.

Canadian OT prospect Matthew O'Donnell - nearly 6'10", 335, 35" reach.

Marvin Austin measured at like 6'2'' and 312. Could he potentially play NT? He seems to be shorter and heavier like a lot of teams want in their nose tackles, and we all know he's real talented.

What are some other guys from this game that you guys like? I like Brandyn Thompson the CB from Boise St. but I dunno where he's projected to go.

Austin seems to be more of a 4-3 type of player from a style standpoint (not sure he holds up well as a 2-gap), but he definitely has the size/frame for a 3-4 NT.

Yeah I remember he was a 4-3 DT at UNC who can get into the backfield. But if he could add a few more lbs of muscle and he has the size/frame to be a 3-4 NT. I remember he was pretty good in college, even though he was kind of an idiot for I believe posting his improper benefits or whatever on facebook(could be wrong on that). If he could do it though, that's a heck of a talent and it's always good to have depth on the DL. I just don't know what round he's projected to go in whether it's the 1st or 2nd and which area. He's real talented. If we could trade back and land some extra picks or whatever and get him, that might actually be the best course of action IMO.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Really, a pretty lean roster this year. All eyes should be on Austin and Moch. Moch could be one of the more intriguing players in the draft, as he reportedly has run under 4.40, for a LB/hybrid 3-4 player. Should be fascinating to watch.

I expect both of these players to land somewhere in that second round. Beyond these two, I see a lot of mid-late rounders, and many undrafted free agents.

Devlin and Taylor will get a good look, for different reasons. Can Devlin play with the big boys, and is Taylor willing to take some reps at another position. More than likely, Devlin will end up being a 3rd-4th rounder, and Taylor a QB/Slash/Wildcat player if drafted.

MadDog, quick question on Moch. The kid has crazy physical tools, but what about his football instincts? Will he be able to move to a 3-4 OLB/pass rusher position and handle the coverage responsibilities? If you have a take, I'd like to hear it.......

Great question. I think he is a guy who can fly around the corner, but can he backpedal and drop into coverage? I think he is more than athletic enough to pull it off. His height and size may be an issue more than anything else for teams. He and Von Miller need to put on some weight. Big wild card this offseason. Should be a blast to watch.

Moch, Watt, and Paea may be the three most athletic, non-secondary defenders in this draft.

Moch will probably wind up on a team like Detroit or Philly.

After Cameron Heyward, Watt is my next favorite lineman prospect outside the top ten of the draft.

Personally, I think we could find tremendous value trading down and landing an extra second. But we have to ask ourselves if that is really worth it when we could land what appears to be one of the 7 elite prospects entering this draft.

Where do you see Heyward landing and wouldn't he make a vicious 3-4 LDE like Watt?
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/EastWest-Shrine-practice-review-Day-2.html

A few notes from day 2 of the NFP's coverage of the Shrine practices:

Pat Devlin, QB (Delaware)
It goes without saying that this wasn’t the kind of practice Delaware quarterback Pat Devlin had in mind for his first showing of the week. He was spraying the football all over the place, didn’t seem nearly as comfortable in the pocket as he did during his time at Delaware and his overall accuracy suffered because of it. And the main culprit? Well, he was taking snaps from under center. Devlin took nearly all his snaps from the gun over the past two seasons and was rarely asked to read a defense and decipher information in his drop, quickly get away from under center before balancing his footing and striding into a throw. Today he looked fidgety and uncomfortable trying to maintain balance in his lower half while still attempting to get the ball out on time. Most media sources will likely end up killing the guy for his struggles in day one, but in my view it’s just part of the learning curve for a quarterback who is making the move from a college spread to more of a traditional NFL offense.

Bryant Browning, OL (Ohio State)
Ohio State offensive guard Bryant Browning did a nice job in pass protection at times today during the one-on-one drills. He’s a bit sloppy in the mid-section and isn’t the most natural benders, at times getting doubled over at the waist, but he’s a long kid who does a nice job extending his arms into contact and gaining leverage at the point. At times he got himself in trouble because his hand placement was poor — too high — allowing defenders to get under him, but his ability to play long and stick to blocks through contact will definitely give him a shot of holding up inside at the next level as a potential roster guy.

Justin Rogers, CB (Richmond)
I’ve been impressed with Richmond CB Justin Rogers all year and he made another nice impression on me during 11-on-11 today. He’s still developing with his footwork when asked to play near the line of scrimmage in man and sit into his drop — something he didn’t do often in college. However, as an off/zone guy, he displays an impressive initial burst out of his breaks, keeps his pad level down, doesn’t waste much motion when asked to click and close and has a nose for the ball. He’s a bit scheme-limited and looks better suited to play on the inside, but he’s an intriguing small-school defensive back nevertheless who showed well at first glimpse vs. the jump in competition.

Bruce Miller, LB (Central Florida)
Finally, Central Florida defensive end Bruce Miller really had a tough time disengaging from blocks in all areas of the game this afternoon, a trait which I think will ultimately keep him from making an NFL roster. He’s an undersized kid with a good motor, but his real downfall is his short arms, as he fails to gain leverage consistently at the point in the pass game and can easily be stonewalled and contained through the play.
" It seemed as though he had been running this offense for years. He had good command, got to the line, knew what he was doing and handled the offense with authority. He threw with good timing and anticipated wide receivers coming out of their break, which is not easy to do on Day 1, and threw accurately."--ESPN Shrine Game Buzz about Scott Tolzien.

Gotta like the spunk. "This is my house" attitude works. What I like is the ability to "throw the WR open", lead, b***h, lead. Something that has been missing here for some time, consistently. I am not saying he's the one, but he sure fits the criteria at first glance.
Originally posted by ninertico:
" It seemed as though he had been running this offense for years. He had good command, got to the line, knew what he was doing and handled the offense with authority. He threw with good timing and anticipated wide receivers coming out of their break, which is not easy to do on Day 1, and threw accurately."--ESPN Shrine Game Buzz about Scott Tolzien.

Gotta like the spunk. "This is my house" attitude works. What I like is the ability to "throw the WR open", lead, b***h, lead. Something that has been missing here for some time, consistently. I am not saying he's the one, but he sure fits the criteria at first glance.

Is this from ESPN insider? I want to read the rest of the stuff.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/EastWest-Shrine-practice-review-Day-2.html

A few notes from day 2 of the NFP's coverage of the Shrine practices:

Pat Devlin, QB (Delaware)
It goes without saying that this wasn’t the kind of practice Delaware quarterback Pat Devlin had in mind for his first showing of the week. He was spraying the football all over the place, didn’t seem nearly as comfortable in the pocket as he did during his time at Delaware and his overall accuracy suffered because of it. And the main culprit? Well, he was taking snaps from under center. Devlin took nearly all his snaps from the gun over the past two seasons and was rarely asked to read a defense and decipher information in his drop, quickly get away from under center before balancing his footing and striding into a throw. Today he looked fidgety and uncomfortable trying to maintain balance in his lower half while still attempting to get the ball out on time. Most media sources will likely end up killing the guy for his struggles in day one, but in my view it’s just part of the learning curve for a quarterback who is making the move from a college spread to more of a traditional NFL offense.

Bryant Browning, OL (Ohio State)
Ohio State offensive guard Bryant Browning did a nice job in pass protection at times today during the one-on-one drills. He’s a bit sloppy in the mid-section and isn’t the most natural benders, at times getting doubled over at the waist, but he’s a long kid who does a nice job extending his arms into contact and gaining leverage at the point. At times he got himself in trouble because his hand placement was poor — too high — allowing defenders to get under him, but his ability to play long and stick to blocks through contact will definitely give him a shot of holding up inside at the next level as a potential roster guy.

Justin Rogers, CB (Richmond)
I’ve been impressed with Richmond CB Justin Rogers all year and he made another nice impression on me during 11-on-11 today. He’s still developing with his footwork when asked to play near the line of scrimmage in man and sit into his drop — something he didn’t do often in college. However, as an off/zone guy, he displays an impressive initial burst out of his breaks, keeps his pad level down, doesn’t waste much motion when asked to click and close and has a nose for the ball. He’s a bit scheme-limited and looks better suited to play on the inside, but he’s an intriguing small-school defensive back nevertheless who showed well at first glimpse vs. the jump in competition.

Bruce Miller, LB (Central Florida)
Finally, Central Florida defensive end Bruce Miller really had a tough time disengaging from blocks in all areas of the game this afternoon, a trait which I think will ultimately keep him from making an NFL roster. He’s an undersized kid with a good motor, but his real downfall is his short arms, as he fails to gain leverage consistently at the point in the pass game and can easily be stonewalled and contained through the play.

This disappoints me and makes me pretty sad. I've really been pulling for Miller. Had an amazing college career, but it looks like he's not going to match up well at the next level. Basically the Nick Reed of the 2011 NFL Draft.
Anyone have the practice notes for today???
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Anyone have the practice notes for today???

Hot off the presses.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/feed/2011-01/2011-nfl-draft/story/draft-dish-north-carolinas-austin-flashes-dominant-ability
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Anyone have the practice notes for today???

Hot off the presses.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/feed/2011-01/2011-nfl-draft/story/draft-dish-north-carolinas-austin-flashes-dominant-ability

Nice