There are 194 users in the forums

the case for jake locker

Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
He has to have the right coach. Without a year to watch and grow and without the right coach, Locker will tank in the NFL. The wrong situation could ruin him.

Dingletary = wrong situation (now gone).

NoWin = wrong situation (long gone).

Harbaugh = right situation. He can turn Locker into a great player. Will we land Harbaugh?

will not be surprised a bit if say we land harbaugh and if he feels locker has the tools he will be a 9er and he will be harbaugh's latest project

My thoughts exactly. If we land Harbaugh, he had been studying Locker for two seasons now and might see something in him. I'm with most of the people on this board, if we get a coach like Harbaugh/Gruden/Holmgren, then I'm all for the Locker pick. If we get another coach that has no history with QB development, then I'll pass.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Sims84:
Originally posted by strickac:
We'll get to see him face off against a tough Nebraska defense tonight. I expect the Huskers to have success pressuring him, so either he'll show off his mobility and use his athleticism to keep them off-balanced or we'll see Locker looking uncomfortable under pressure and posting another mediocre performance.

I hope he does well, but I don't really expect him to. I question his poise and ability to be effective from the pocket. It'll be fun to watch though and scouts will be tuned in to see how he does against a legit defense on a big stage. With the draft rolling around, this might be the most meaningful game of his career.

he went 4-20 last time he played Nebraska but I think he can be good. We need to wait until we see our HC first. If it is Harbaugh or Gruden and they are as good as advertised, it won't matter which QB we get (Mallet, Locker, Stanzi, Newton) because they SHOULD be able to turn each of those individuals into something special. They all have the physical talent, they just need the right coach with the right system.

Well it does still matter....

Mike McCarthy is good with QB's and couldn't do anything with Brian Brohm, same can be said for Jim Fassel and look how Kyle Boller turned out. It takes more than physical talent.
Originally posted by KRS-1:
We'll get to see him face off against a tough Nebraska defense tonight. I expect the Huskers to have success pressuring him, so either he'll show off his mobility and use his athleticism to keep them off-balanced or we'll see Locker looking uncomfortable under pressure and posting another mediocre performance.

I hope he does well, but I don't really expect him to. I question his poise and ability to be effective from the pocket. It'll be fun to watch though and scouts will be tuned in to see how he does against a legit defense on a big stage. With the draft rolling around, this might be the most meaningful game of his career.

he went 4-20 last time he played Nebraska but I think he can be good. We need to wait until we see our HC first. If it is Harbaugh or Gruden and they are as good as advertised, it won't matter which QB we get (Mallet, Locker, Stanzi, Newton) because they SHOULD be able to turn each of those individuals into something special. They all have the physical talent, they just need the right coach with the right system.

Mike McCarthy is good with QB's and couldn't do anything with Brian Brohm, same can be said for Jim Fassel and look how Kyle Boller turned out. It takes more than physical talent.

Is the Brian Brohm example a good one though? He never really had an opportunity with Rodgers there.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SF69ers:

Is the Brian Brohm example a good one though? He never really had an opportunity with Rodgers there.

He never beat our Flynn for the backup job and was released after 1 year, had opportunities to be the guy in Buffalo too, with Chan Gailey who also has a pretty good track record with QB's and has yet to do it there either.

At the end of the day, the QB we select will still matter. The HC will have to do his homework just as the scouts and front office will too, we can't just take whichever one is there when we pick because we have a QB guru on staff, the HC needs to firmly believe in the QB being taken (yes I am Captain Obvious). Thus why I am not 100% sold on a single QB that may be available to us to date, anxiously awaiting Senior Bowl week, the combine and pro days to truly get a better grasp on these guys. I'll take what I have already seen from these guys and see how they fare at these key offseason events before I get any hopes up or argue in favor of one QB over another.

I see and read far too many posts on here by members who seem to already be sold on this guy or that guy as the guy we should get, but this guy's and that guy's stock can jump or down in the blink of an eye once we hit the Senior Bowl, combine and pro days (and once the stocks start moving so will the bandwagon hopping).

[ Edited by KRS-1 on Dec 30, 2010 at 08:09:54 ]
Originally posted by hofer36:
this is imo niners best option after luck...he has prototypicasl size, is athletic, which niners could use given their inability to pass block, he has the arm to make all the throws, he has experience in a pro set, and a good teacher in sarkisian...

he showed good values in coming back to washington than going for the bucks last year, where he was rated right with sam bradford as a prospect....

he has beaten usc twice, inlcuding nice comeback this year..and was big vs notre dame in 2009, almost leading his team back to beat the irish...he hasnt had the best surrounding cast up in seattle either

My biggest thing about Locker is that he seems to get dinged a lot. He missed quite a few plays and he missed the Oregon game this year. I know he leaves the pocket a lot, but still. I don't remember what the injury was that made him miss the Oregon game, but he was back the next week. I'm not calling him a coward, but that was the biggest game of the year for his team and he couldn't go just to be back the following week? Leftwich played a game with a broken leg, Pat Devlin missed a game with a broken arm and was back the next week. Just makes me curious. I would love to get him in the second round, but I doubt he would be there. I think CB is a bigger need than reaching for any QB other than Luck high in the 1st.

Yes that is why I said the right coach WITH the right system. Look at Shaub, Brady, Vick, Cassel ect. Vick had the physical talent and was pretty successful in Atlanta but not NEARLY as successful as he is under Andy Reid. Cassel looked GREAT under Mcdaniels in that system when Brady went down but then went to KC and looked horrible. Then got Weis and looked decent again. Brady is doing wonders for a 6th round pick and Matt Shaub needed the right offense to flourish as do most QB's.

What I'm saying is, if the physical talent is there, the "RIGHT" coach can come along and put it all together with his tutelage and offensive system. If these guys are as great as everyone has made them out to be (Harbaugh, Gruden, Billick) then I'm sure they can turn each of those prospects into something good with the 49ers who have a pro bowl running back and TE and an up and coming WR.

Boller did not have that if not mistaken. He had a great running back that year with Lewis but his leading receiver was Travis Taylor and Todd Heap was not as established at the time. We are pretty talented on the offensive end, we just need the right coach/system to come along with a Physically gifted QB to learn how to do things the RIGHT way
Mortenson has quoted an anonymous NFL GM as saying, "Locker is a bigger, taller, right-handed version of Steve Young."
Originally posted by SF69ers:

He never beat our Flynn for the backup job and was released after 1 year, had opportunities to be the guy in Buffalo too, with Chan Gailey who also has a pretty good track record with QB's and has yet to do it there either.

At the end of the day, the QB we select will still matter. The HC will have to do his homework just as the scouts and front office will too, we can't just take whichever one is there when we pick because we have a QB guru on staff, the HC needs to firmly believe in the QB being taken (yes I am Captain Obvious). Thus why I am not 100% sold on a single QB that may be available to us to date, anxiously awaiting Senior Bowl week, the combine and pro days to truly get a better grasp on these guys. I'll take what I have already seen from these guys and see how they fare at these key offseason events before I get any hopes up or argue in favor of one QB over another.

I see and read far too many posts on here by members who seem to already be sold on this guy or that guy as the guy we should get, but this guy's and that guy's stock can jump or down in the blink of an eye once we hit the Senior Bowl, combine and pro days (and once the stocks start moving so will the bandwagon hopping).

I agree with this. However, if we did somehow get Harbaugh as a coach, he's had to do his homework to gameplan for Locker, so he knows what he's getting and is aware of his potential.
locker has the physical tools, but he gets hurt a lot and did not progress at all this past year. he has had quite a few big plays....but mostly because of his receivers.

he has poor footwork and is not accurate at all. i dont think he's a fit in a high percentage offense.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Locker plays tonight 7pm PST, ESPN. He can improve his draft status with a good showing. He might be our pick, so I'll be watching.

Originally posted by mayo49:
Locker plays tonight 7pm PST, ESPN. He can improve his draft status with a good showing. He might be our pick, so I'll be watching.

I wanna see if he learned from his disatrous showing against Nebraska last time out.
Originally posted by mayo49:

I hope he plays well. I'm really rooting for him to be successful.
A case for Locker, how about a locker for case?

I know, I've got nothing today...
I really have seen few games of Locker, but in each one, I was left with the thought of "eh, what's the big deal in him?" He doesn't look like a 1st round stud to me, but I'm keeping an open mind. Gonna be fun watching how he does tonight.
bad decision making and innacurate. Size does not matter with that.

Watch the game tonight. You will see
Share 49ersWebzone