LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 344 users in the forums

the case for jake locker

Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Mortenson has quoted an anonymous NFL GM as saying, "Locker is a bigger, taller, right-handed version of Steve Young."

I think it's a decent comparison. I can see it, actually. A lot of people don't realize that Steve was NOT terribly accurate early in his career. That definitely, definitely changed, but he had the same issues Locker appears to have coming out.
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Jakey Jakey made a big mistakey by not coming out last year.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Mortenson has quoted an anonymous NFL GM as saying, "Locker is a bigger, taller, right-handed version of Steve Young."

I think it's a decent comparison. I can see it, actually. A lot of people don't realize that Steve was NOT terribly accurate early in his career. That definitely, definitely changed, but he had the same issues Locker appears to have coming out.

Absolutely on the money. There were games where he was benched because of his bad decision making and inaccurate passes.
Takes one to know one.. That is an NFL QB to regonize an NFL QB.

I am hoping for Harbaugh to be named HC and the top priority after that is getting a legit NFL starting caliber QB.

I am skeptical of Locker at this point. He had a couple of horrible games this year (Nebraska and Stanford, both at home FWIW) and was outplayed by Jeff Tuel the sophmore QB for Wash St.

There is no denying his athleticism. I am concerned he may better suited to competing in the Olympic Decathalon than becoming an NFL QB. But then again I am a Network Engineer, not an NFL talent evaluator.
Originally posted by jojomellon:

How come he sucked so bad this year? Alot of the superlatives you use to sell him could be used for any high end college QB. I should hope football players have prototypical size and athleticism and a good arm. The guy was 4/20 against Nebraska. Do you know the stats behind college QBs who dont complete 60% of their passes and how it correlates to their success in the NFL? Ill give you a hint, the only one to do it and not become a bust was michael vick. Yes.

10/21 for 68 yds, against the 85th ranked defense in UCLA.
were you taught in interpreting regressions in your college/university?
if we're gonna follow the logic that harbaugh can turn locker into an all-star.

does that mean he can turn alex smith into a hall of famer?
This dude is going to need time to develop. Only after we get a QB via FA or Trade should we look at a developmental QB (and a get a damn good coach before even all that).
Originally posted by niner_empire:

We'll never know how Alex can do. He progressed well with Norv Turner as his coach. He did well last year when Jimmy Raye wasn't on a tight leash.

It's all about coaching and unfortunately for Alex, he didn't get enough of it here in SF.
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Originally posted by niner_empire:

We'll never know how Alex can do. He progressed well with Norv Turner as his coach. He did well last year when Jimmy Raye wasn't on a tight leash.

It's all about coaching and unfortunately for Alex, he didn't get enough of it here in SF.
this...if we dont get a good qb coach, no rookie-qb will success with us.
If we are gonna take a project on I'd rather roll the dice with Newton. In my opinion he has a better chance of becoming like Young than Locker does. He is a winner in the SEC without a ridiculous amount of NFL talent around him (ie. Henandez, Murphy, Havin, Pouncey, or Lafell, Doucet, Hester, Williams), and without a dominant defense (he usually was bring the team back from a deficit, he couldn't hand it off to the workhorse RB and rely on the defense like Bama did last year.) On top of that he still was top 10 in all of college football in Comp % despite playing in the SEC and with his best WR not even being in the top 100 in receptions.

Plan A - Trade whatever it takes to get Luck.

Plan B - Get one of the two top corners and somehow get a veteran.

Plan C - Draft Newton. (Hopefully he doesn't take Luck's Wonderlic and write his own name on the test and then turn it in as his own. Sorry I couldn't resist.)

Originally posted by flynhayn15:
If we are gonna take a project on I'd rather roll the dice with Newton. In my opinion he has a better chance of becoming like Young than Locker does. He is a winner in the SEC without a ridiculous amount of NFL talent around him (ie. Henandez, Murphy, Havin, Pouncey, or Lafell, Doucet, Hester, Williams), and without a dominant defense (he usually was bring the team back from a deficit, he couldn't hand it off to the workhorse RB and rely on the defense like Bama did last year.) On top of that he still was top 10 in all of college football in Comp % despite playing in the SEC and with his best WR not even being in the top 100 in receptions. dont wanna say that auburn has a damn good defense but fairley made a huge impact on their trenches...

Plan A - Trade whatever it takes to get Luck. NO, not whatever it takes. i dont care what the scouts say...i only care about the FACT that he is a rookie.

Plan B - Get one of the two top corners and somehow get a veteran. I'd rather go for a vet...our pass-rush is a much bigger need.

Plan C - Draft Newton. (Hopefully he doesn't take Luck's Wonderlic and write his own name on the test and then turn it in as his own. Sorry I couldn't resist.) I was impressed by his comeback against bama...but he could still be a one-year wonder. bad comparison: mark sanchez...he even played in a pro-style offense, iirc but it was only a year.

[ Edited by communist on Dec 30, 2010 at 14:11:35 ]
If we are gonna take a project on I'd rather roll the dice with Newton. In my opinion he has a better chance of becoming like Young than Locker does. He is a winner in the SEC without a ridiculous amount of NFL talent around him (ie. Henandez, Murphy, Havin, Pouncey, or Lafell, Doucet, Hester, Williams), and without a dominant defense (he usually was bring the team back from a deficit, he couldn't hand it off to the workhorse RB and rely on the defense like Bama did last year.) On top of that he still was top 10 in all of college football in Comp % despite playing in the SEC and with his best WR not even being in the top 100 in receptions.

Plan C - Draft Newton. (Hopefully he doesn't take Luck's Wonderlic and write his own name on the test and then turn it in as his own. Sorry I couldn't resist.)

Locker is much, much less of a project than Newton
Originally posted by spizzy:

Agreed.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Steve Young would disagree... he is not high on Locker at all.
Originally posted by spizzy:

Sure but thats because the end results of the 'project' of Locker are so much lower. If he cant even be an above average QB at the college level why would I assume he'd somehow change at a much higher level?
Share 49ersWebzone