There are 284 users in the forums

Do We still Draft of Sign a QB

Originally posted by rEspEctdA49ers:
If Troy Smith performs like he is now for the rest of the season and helps us make the playoffs, then maybe the niners can look into a different position that we need help with...

i.e O-Line?

If Troy Smith does okay, nothing terrible, but not fantastic either, we should look into Luck or whoever could fit with this team.

Luck will be gone at #1. Guaranteed. He looks 10X as promising as even Bradford did. Probably the next payton manning.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Originally posted by rEspEctdA49ers:
If Troy Smith performs like he is now for the rest of the season and helps us make the playoffs, then maybe the niners can look into a different position that we need help with...

i.e O-Line?

If Troy Smith does okay, nothing terrible, but not fantastic either, we should look into Luck or whoever could fit with this team.

Luck will be gone at #1. Guaranteed. He looks 10X as promising as even Bradford did. Probably the next payton manning.

Oh Sh!t, your right.

Well, in that case, just get the best QB we can.

But, honestly, (although its only been 2 games) I cannot help but be optimistic for this guy and the whole team.

He's brought this team's spirit up and now we can happily look forward into the season.
Also, you remember seeing the fire in his eyes during the Rams game? When he has that look, thats what really shows he has something to bring to the table...

So my words to everyone, are to stay hungry!!
Originally posted by Axl49:
If Troy Smith finishes the season strong and with pretty good numbers. Playoffs dont matter cause we dont control our own destiny yet but say we barley miss or barley make the playoffs and Smith plays Good to damn good, Where do you guys think we stand at QB?

If Andrew Luck is available we need to grab him. it Does not matter what Troy Smith does.
We desparately need an NFL pass rusher and an NFL cornerback to take off pressure on Clements. MLB Barrett Ruud of Tampa will be a freee agent. We should grab him. Can you see him and Willis on the inside together? AWESOME
I just hope we don't draft cam newton, i think his pro career will be patrick ramseyish.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
I just hope we don't draft cam newton, i think his pro career will be patrick ramseyish.

Yeah, I don't like him either. More of a runner than passer.
  • obx49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo49:

You guys obviously haven't watched any of his games, the kid is the next best thing and is touted around here as the next Lebron James of football. I live in northern Florida in the middle of SEC country and we get to watch him every week tearing it up with his passing game and his running game. The kid has a VERY strong arm, accurate and has a great attitude (he really is a pretty good guy despite what is going on with him right now.) I wouldn't be surprised in the least bit if he gets picked high in the draft and maybe before one of the top three QBs coming out.
no exact science but if a franchise QB is available, Yes
Originally posted by DominantQE:
no exact science but if a franchise QB is available, Yes

Basically.

If Troy continues to excel, he'll likely enter next season as a starter with a 2 or 3-year deal. Just enough time to groom a franchise QB of the future (if Troy turns out not to be that).
yeah you draft a quarterback...it's an insurance policy just in case Troy Smith slows down. If Smith continues to tear it up for a long period of time then we have trade bait.
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
OF COURSE.

Have we learned NOTHING from the past 6 years, and the small window of hope Troy has given us?

Even if he plays lights out AND we somehow make the playoffs, getting another QB is our top priority.

We can't put all our eggs in one basket. Haven't we learned anything from half season surprise "greatness" from the likes of JTO, Shaun Hill and even Alex?

If we have even ONE QB that seems like a legit starter, that's an upgrade. But to make sure we eventually have a franchise QB, we need to bring in a proven vet (if one is available) and/or draft a high caliber prospect.

You cannot have enough bullets in the QB gun. Look at the Eagles over the last couple years. Even with McNabb, Kolb, and Vick on their roster, they still, between age, injuries and performance, may still only end up with ONE true long term starter, and it's likely going to be the last one anyone expected at the start of last season.

And if you're lucky and multiple work out, BRILLIANT. Make a trade or two and stock up on draft picks. The worst case scenario is overpaying at the QB position for a year or two.

As opposed to underpaying, hoping a flash in the pan, and/or backups and late round picks magically turn into the future.

We have done more than enough of that, thank you.

This^^^

The title of this thread doesn't make sense, but I think I know where you are going with it.

Draft or Sign QB??
Let's see...

Alex's contract is up after this season.

Troy's contract is up after this season.

Carr is signed through next season.

There is no CBA and until there is, there will be no FA signing period.

So what to do..

I believe that the 49ers will closely evaluate Troy's performance down the stretch and then try and sign him to a contract before he becomes a FA.

The 49ers will let Alex walk and cut Carr as soon as it makes the most financial sense to cut him.

And yes.. Draft a QB.

[ Edited by DaveWilcox on Nov 18, 2010 at 18:52:32 ]
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Yes for sure.

Troy Smith is 5'10". And he played 2 home games. London was home by the more fans. Also against horrific teams. You guys are getting carried away on his upside potential. He won't lead us anywhere.

According to the NFL combine, Troy Smith is 6'0", 225 lbs. Drew Brees is also 6'0". Either the QB has the tangibles (i.e. accuracy) to be an NFL QB or not. So far, Troy Smith has done nothing to dispute the above.

With that, he has only played 2 games for the 49ers. I will wait until the end of the year before I crown Troy.

At least he has given me reason to have hope for the 49ers and actually look forward to watching the 49ers play this season!
Yes, I still think 9ers should draft a QB. Stanzi or Mallet would be great.
Originally posted by DynastyPart2:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Yes for sure.

Troy Smith is 5'10". And he played 2 home games. London was home by the more fans. Also against horrific teams. You guys are getting carried away on his upside potential. He won't lead us anywhere.

According to the NFL combine, Troy Smith is 6'0", 225 lbs. Drew Brees is also 6'0". Either the QB has the tangibles (i.e. accuracy) to be an NFL QB or not. So far, Troy Smith has done nothing to dispute the above.

With that, he has only played 2 games for the 49ers. I will wait until the end of the year before I crown Troy.

At least he has given me reason to have hope for the 49ers and actually look forward to watching the 49ers play this season![/quote]

This.

Although I still would've watched the Niners lose all the games before going to London, because Captin Check Down was just plain boring to watch. T. Smith is explosive to me because I don't think Mrs. Smith would've overcame 5 sacks and all those penalties.

If the Niners lost we would have been reading all over this board:

1. Oline wasn't blocking
2. Defense sucks
3. SING SUCKS (Even more than he does)
4. Play calling still not creative
5. Calls not going our way
6. T. Smith is a fluke

Did I miss anything??

I seen T. Smith go down field more times in two games than I seen Mrs. Smith do in six. Oh wait Jimmy Raye was OC for awhile so that doesn't count right
Originally posted by obx49:
Originally posted by mayo49:

You guys obviously haven't watched any of his games, the kid is the next best thing and is touted around here as the next Lebron James of football. I live in northern Florida in the middle of SEC country and we get to watch him every week tearing it up with his passing game and his running game. The kid has a VERY strong arm, accurate and has a great attitude (he really is a pretty good guy despite what is going on with him right now.) I wouldn't be surprised in the least bit if he gets picked high in the draft and maybe before one of the top three QBs coming out.

Troy Smith will be injured, Alex will come in and become a hero, we win the next 7 games in a row, NFC west champs, We win in playoffs, Alex performs like second coming of Joe Montana, we win Super Bowl, Alex gets $200 million concract
Share 49ersWebzone