There are 181 users in the forums

Do We still Draft of Sign a QB

Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by Bluefalcon61:
Sign a Vet QB yes.
I agree with the logic of that but half the QBs starting in the league are no better than Alex Smith. Those sitting in backup roles are worse. I don't think Alex will agree to come back here but if he did, he would likely be better than any FA that would agree to come here. I also see no way to work a trade with Alex since he will be a UFA after this season.

Quote:
Draft a QB - maybe.

If we are going to expend our # 1 (which I expect will be in the top 10 again), his scouting report better read "Accurate passer with a strong enough arm to make all the NFL throws, started 2 (minimum) years in an NFL style offense in a top flight college conference."
That sounds good but as we have just observed with Sam Bradford, you can draft a guy who runs a spread offense and put him with a QUALITY OC and QB coach like Pat Shurmur and he does fine.

A kid doesn't have to come from a pro-style offense to succeed but he ABSOLUTELY MUST have a QB-friendly environment in order to develop. We saw on Sunday how Shurmur almost always had Bradford in short, safe drops with 3 options to throw to. The system was very well thought out in a way that made it easy for Bradford to succeed.

I believe we draft a QB but whoever is coach next year should follow the script Shurmur used with Bradford.

dj, I'll admit I didnt put much thought about which Vet QBs are out there that are a significant improvement and a good fit for us next year. Tho I disagree that 1/2 of starting QBs are no better than Alex Smith. lol. (Actually, Carson Palmer came to the top of my head - provided he's worn out his welcome in Cincy. In the NFC West - he'll do fine!).

As for a college QB coming from an NFL style offense, my thinking there is trying to limit, as much as possible, the margin of error and timeline to get a guy ready as an NFL starter even without a QB friendly coaching staff/philosophy.

God forbid, we retain MS next year, and we may well end up hiring another defensive minded HC who will once again place a low premium on a QB's development and impact on the team.

If we are forced to rely on a rookie QB as our starter next year under the worst case scenario I described above, that is the most feasible option I can see where thekid becomes an immediate starter, and plays effectively enough to help carry the team to the playoffs within the narrowing window of productivity we have left with our core players.
lets have this conversation in 7 weeks.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by HessianDud:

Yeah, kind of premature to be hailing Troy the franchise Qb we've been looking for, but it is fun seeing it play out.
Originally posted by 49ersNoKaOi:
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Yes without a doubt.

This. Look at our qb situation, Carr gtfo, Alex gtfo(if Troy continues), so that leaves us with Troy and ...... Nate. We re-sign Troy, if he continues like this he is our franchise qb and we draft a mid round qb and bring in a vet to toutor both rookie and Troy. If his play declines re-sign him and use a first or second round pick on a qb and bring in a vet.
Ether way we draft a qb as a safety net or a new hope.

This
Originally posted by fly15:
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by FL9er:
LOL, you fans are so desperate for someone to be the answer [regardless of position], you latch on like a needy chick at any sign of progress or good play.

100% true, except the [regardless of position] part. Most of these people think a good QB is all you need.

since we got a real QB we're 2-0, so I say yes, thats all we needed

lol, this is horrible. We just beat the Broncos and the Rams a home. Calm down.
Originally posted by Kurtz49:
Originally posted by 49ersNoKaOi:
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Yes without a doubt.

This. Look at our qb situation, Carr gtfo, Alex gtfo(if Troy continues), so that leaves us with Troy and ...... Nate. We re-sign Troy, if he continues like this he is our franchise qb and we draft a mid round qb and bring in a vet to toutor both rookie and Troy. If his play declines re-sign him and use a first or second round pick on a qb and bring in a vet.
Ether way we draft a qb as a safety net or a new hope.

This

looks like a winner
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Originally posted by Chief:
If Troy Smith finishes the season with a stat line like he has now I see us picking up one later and not sooner in the draft.

Yeah, if Troy leads us to the playoffs I'd slap a fat 'franchise' contract on him and go from there (then re-negotiate a new long-term contract during the 2011 season if he continues his success). -But draft a guy like Ricky Stanzi in the 2nd/3rd round for insurance (to develop at #2).

No way they are franchising Troy (currently @ 20 million for a QB) unless he goes "Michael Vick" for every remaining game
Originally posted by HessianDud:

This.
yes we should draft one. we've gone into seasons hoping for improvement for the last 5-6 years so we cant gamble on that again. hopefully troy keeps getting better but we still have to have a backup plan.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
yes we should draft one. we've gone into seasons hoping for improvement for the last 5-6 years so we cant gamble on that again. hopefully troy keeps getting better but we still have to have a backup plan.

Yah, but 8 out of the top 15 QBs (passer rating) were either signed as free agents or non-1st rounders. I know you're not saying we have to invest a 1st rounder in a guy, but I also don't think we necessarily need to draft one either.

I mean, look at Troy....31 other teams didn't want him, but he worked out for us. Nobody wanted Michael Vick after he got out of prison, but he's now the top rated passer in the league. Same goes for Tony Romo (ranked 8th) and Matt Cassell (ranked 9th), both of whom were undrafted...then there's that 6th rounder that the Pats drafted out of Michigan in 2000.

So there's actually a number of ways to go about this. The bigger key will be finally cutting the chord with Alex....IMO, that has hurt us the most over the years in terms of how aggressively (or not) we've gone after free agent/rookie QBs. Bringing in guys like Dilfer, JTO, Weinke, Hill and Carr tells you all we need to know about how serious we've been about bringing in quaity QBs.

Not to mention the fact that we've drafted only ONE QB in since 2006...Nate Davis last year in the 5th round. That's it.

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

Yah, but 8 out of the top 15 QBs (passer rating) were either signed as free agents or non-1st rounders. I know you're not saying we have to invest a 1st rounder in a guy, but I also don't think we necessarily need to draft one either.

I mean, look at Troy....31 other teams didn't want him, but he worked out for us. Nobody wanted Michael Vick after he got out of prison, but he's now the top rated passer in the league. Same goes for Tony Romo (ranked 8th) and Matt Cassell (ranked 9th), both of whom were undrafted...then there's that 6th rounder that the Pats drafted out of Michigan in 2000.

So there's actually a number of ways to go about this. The bigger key will be finally cutting the chord with Alex....IMO, that has hurt us the most over the years in terms of how aggressively (or not) we've gone after free agent/rookie QBs. Bringing in guys like Dilfer, JTO, Weinke, Hill and Carr tells you all we need to know about how serious we've been about bringing in quaity QBs.

Not to mention the fact that we've drafted only ONE QB in since 2006...Nate Davis last year in the 5th round. That's it.

ya i didnt say 1st round pick. if troy didnt come along it woulda been a 1st round necessity but now we can go somewhere else with that pick. i still hope we get one in the 3rd or 4th just in case. i would restock our QB stable next year with alex out and carr getting cut we should draft one and sign a seasoned vet as a #2. we've been at the mercy of the QB and OC for a while so hopefully Troy is the man but if he fizzles out like JTO, Hill and the other guys have after a few good games were in deep trouble. i think baalke and whoever the new GM and Coach are next year will know a lot more about picking QBs than a DC and a LB coach can. the whole key to righting this ship is bringing in some offensive brain power as our HC and a guy in the front office who knows what he's doing.
If Troy finishes strong and makes Playoffs, then you keep him as your number one. I personally would draft a qb in the first or second (if their good) in this years upcoming draft. And then we start working on our secondary needs and W.R. deapth.
Originally posted by Blitz:
We find out by the end of this year whether we pick a QB early or late. The plan has basically stayed the same as it was from the beginning, it's just the other Smith we talking about now.

You gotta give the powers that be credit here, it was one smart move to bring in Troy Smith this year. If you ask me, my hunch is McC ended up getting run out of town because of the Carr/TSmith/QB issue, somehow. McC brought in Carr and I think the other power's wanted another QB on the roster other than or in addition to Carr, maybe even wanting TSmith specifically, and McC was getting in the way of that somehow....starting to screw that up somehow. Just a hunch.

Somebody had the foresight to go after TSmith, and I don't think McC was helping with it.

Something I don't know has been discussed It has occurred to me that we have had a close relationship with the Ravens. It would not surprise me if Sing (who has close ties to the Ravens) and Ballke had their eye on Troy and worked those close ties with the Ravens to get him on the 9ers. We know he spent the offseason on the road evaluating talent, we know he was immersed in that deeply. So it makes sense to me that he may have spent quite a bit of time looking at the QB...he did it with all the positions of need, why would he not do it with the QB position as well? He claimed AS was our QB, but hell, everybody and their brother knew that was dependent on what AS did this year. Sing knew it too, I am sure.

I mean, ask yourself this question: In Sings world, what would the ideal QB be?

In Sings eyes, the ideal QB would be like what TSmith appears to be, A playmaker, a leader, tough, in your face, fired up, elevates those around him, not afraid to go make a play, speak out, fearless, yet limits his mistakes. In short, a QB that has the mystical "it".

It's just too much of a damn coincidence that TSmith, who appears to be the ideal QB in Sing's world, somehow shows up on the 49er's.

So I don't know who was behind it, but somehow Sings version of the ideal QB ended up on our team. Coincidence?

Are you kidding? Sing's ideal QB would be anyone who could turn around and hand off to Gore. If the front office had so much 'insight' on troy smith and there was such a behind the scenes battle to bring him that Scott McC lost his job then why wait till Asmith gets injured to activate/start him? Why list Carr above him on the depth chart? Sing is not one to admit he is wrong, and he hitched his wagon to Asmith. He got lucky that troy has played as well as he has. Dont try to turn him into some kinda genius.

I think its wise to take a QB in every draft even if your starter is peyton manning(later rounds of course). Its the most important position on the field and there have been plenty of diamonds in the rough.
If Troy Smith performs like he is doing now for the rest of the season and helps us make the playoffs, then maybe the niners can look into a different position that we need help with...

i.e O-Line?

If Troy Smith does okay, nothing terrible, but not fantastic either, we should look into Luck or whoever could fit with this team.

[ Edited by rEspEctdA49ers on Nov 18, 2010 at 14:52:27 ]
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Even if Troy is retained, Singletary must be fired. I think Troy is a development-type QB that needs to be in the right offense. The OL needs to learn how to chop block as Jira pointed out due to the height challenge (see New Orleans and Brees).

The receivers need to learn more than digs, comebacks and deep posts. Slants and WR screens need to be added to the arsenal here.

I love how you felt the need to put the fire Singletary in there when the thread isn't about him,

I found it very humorous, thank you.
Share 49ersWebzone