There are 166 users in the forums

Do We still Draft of Sign a QB

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Yes draft two of them in case one breaks.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
LOL, you fans are so desperate for someone to be the answer [regardless of position], you latch on like a needy chick at any sign of progress or good play.
Originally posted by Axl49:
If Troy Smith finishes the season strong and with pretty good numbers. Playoffs dont matter cause we dont control our own destiny yet but say we barley miss or barley make the playoffs and Smith plays Good to damn good, Where do you guys think we stand at QB?

Yes, we still draft a QB. Doesn't have to be with our first pick, but we draft someone.
Originally posted by FL9er:
LOL, you fans are so desperate for someone to be the answer [regardless of position], you latch on like a needy chick at any sign of progress or good play.

100% true, except the [regardless of position] part. Most of these people think a good QB is all you need.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

Its like we have been f**king fat b***hes for the last 7 years so the first skinny chick we get is like heaven even though she may have a jacked up face.
It depends on our next head coach working with management to decide what we want to do.

It also depends on Troy Smith, who could walk away in free agency, unless the Niners slap the franchise tag on him, which is never going to happen.

Many, many variables.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Lifer:
Originally posted by dj43:

A kid doesn't have to come from a pro-style offense to succeed but he ABSOLUTELY MUST have a QB-friendly environment in order to develop. We saw on Sunday how Shurmur almost always had Bradford in short, safe drops with 3 options to throw to. The system was very well thought out in a way that made it easy for Bradford to succeed.

I believe we draft a QB but whoever is coach next year should follow the script Shurmur used with Bradford.

Agree completely. We must have a staff in place that can develop a young QB. Whether he's a top 10 pick or a third rounder, you have to have the coaching staff and system in place to develop him. Alex Smith may or may not have become a quality QB if he had been handled right in a good system; we'll never know. But I know this for sure: Mike Nolan totally ruined whatever chance he had.

No more defensive Head Coaches. Bring in a quality guy with his own offensive system and experience developing QB's. I like Jim Harbaugh, Gruden, and Holmgren.
...add Billick.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Gavintech:

100% true, except the [regardless of position] part. Most of these people think a good QB is all you need.

since we got a real QB we're 2-0, so I say yes, thats all we needed
In that situation I let Alex Smith go in free agency and cut Carr (he has 1 year remaining). Bring Nate Davis up and sign a vet/draft a QB (mid to late).

Troy Smith
Nate Davis/Vet
Vet/Nate Davis

PS: Drafted QB

Otherwise, if we draft one high I would go..
OK, for the sake of the argument let´s say that Troy proves that he´s the real deal.
Whom do we have behind him?
Nate. Is he ready? no one knows.

We need a quality backup, I say let´s sign a veteran.

And figure it out in TC, if Nate is ready, we could have a "Monatna vs. Young" situation, and no i do not refer to Troy Smith as Monatan nor am I calling Nate Davis, Steve Young.

Originally posted by NJNiner:
If Alex Smith were willing to stick around and backup Troy Smith, I think that would be a good thing. Alex knows the offense and could help mentor Troy. And as far as backups go, we could do worse than Alex.

I just don't understand why anyone would want to keep him around. He's had 6 years to prove himself and he still is ranked 30th out of 32 QB's and had a ton of turnovers. What else does he need to do to convince you that he SUCKS? Nice guy and all, but for God's sake turn the page.

[ Edited by m_brockalexander on Nov 19, 2010 at 21:14:53 ]
Originally posted by fly15:

Don't choke on is dick just yet, he has played against the broncos and rams. I like how he has played but he hasn't proved he can do it against real defenses.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

Don't choke on is dick just yet, he has played against the broncos and rams. I like how he has played but he hasn't proved he can do it against real defenses.

LOL! So far it looks that way!
Lets just wait and see what happens.

1) Does Troy still play good against the better teams
2) Who is available in free agent and the draft
3) Most important, do we have a QB guru coach to develope a young QB.
Other wise it will be another wasted pick. Example Joe Montana and Steve Young had talent, but they wouldn't have been what they were without Walsh and vice versa.
Share 49ersWebzone