LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 274 users in the forums

The Christian Ponder Bandwagon

Well I'm convinced.
Originally posted by cools:
I say YES

Palmer/Ponder, and maybe Pennington as the #3, Potts from Texas Tech as the Practice squader

Pepper Potts! LOl no thank you
Originally posted by wailers15:
Originally posted by cools:
I say YES

Palmer/Ponder, and maybe Pennington as the #3, Potts from Texas Tech as the Practice squader

Pepper Potts! LOl no thank you

But he's a WARLOCK!!
Originally posted by cozz4:
i do not want this guy...VERY VERY inconsistent throughout his college career...no thanks

Great insight.

Grow up.
Well, according to most scouts and other analysts, his perfect for the WCO and the reason he may have been inconsistent last year was injuries.

Although one game or combine does not make a player. He has consistently looked like one of the best at the Senior bowl and combine. In fact while Cam couldn't hit haslf his receivers and people were using the excuse for him about not knowing or being familiar with the WR, Ponder had no proplem, plus he looked great with the WR at the Senior bowl. FSU has not been a consistent team in itself and I would hardly blame it all on Ponder.
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Originally posted by SWAGG-ER:
And so it begins...

According to CBS Sports' Rob Rang, Florida State QB Christian Ponder is "generating ... first-round buzz" after an impressive Combine.
Multiple accounts claimed that Ponder was the best, most accurate passer in Indy, and Rang passes along growing belief that five quarterbacks could be drafted in the top-32 picks. Along with Ponder, they would be Cam Newton, Blaine Gabbert, Ryan Mallett, and Jake Locker. Per Rang, Ponder is now "viewed by some as the top true West Coast Offense quarterback in the draft."

but that could mean we don't get him. then it would be

He'll fall. Just watch.
You can post this kind of drivel in the official Ponder thread.

i do not want this guy...VERY VERY inconsistent throughout his college career...no thanks

Agreed. When calld upon to throw a bomb at the senior bowl, what a lame duck he threw. Even Shaun Hill has better arm strength , maybe...
Originally posted by kronik:

Agreed. When calld upon to throw a bomb at the senior bowl, what a lame duck he threw. Even Shaun Hill has better arm strength , maybe...

Its not always arm strenth when a receiver is underthrown. Sometimes its underestimating a WR's speed because of unfamiliarity or because he sees that the DB is in tight coverage but not looking back, so underthrowing him where the WR can comeback a the last moment while the DB in trying to keep up shoots pass the WR or runs into the WR and gets a pass interference penalty is smart. Unless you ar in his mind you won't ever know.
Got to get those red bars up some how

Originally posted by jreff22:

Originally posted by jreff22:
You need to switch to decaf. Lots of kids are considered top 10 prospects then fall out. Were not going off of last years information for this years draft. Locker was the consensus #1 QB going into this year so makinging Ponder out to be the top QB is incorrect. His inability to stay healthy is a big concern and takes precedent over his current health status. If you want to argue the Senior Bowl are we going to take into account the fact that the other 2 QB's on the South team got injured? I would not claim that he dominated anything at the Combine, again you are overreacting. Your idea of reaching for a kid because other teams might want him absurd. Using a very high pick to cock block another team is foolish and idiotic. Tennessee and Washington will not draft him that high, he does not have the arm strength to play in the vertical Minnesota offense. Seattle at the back of the pack may take a look at him but his ranking compared to the other athletes will not hold up.

He is a 2nd round QB or especially late 1st (which I doubt). If you want to move then move to the top of the 2nd, but even mentioning the idea of him at 7 shows a complete lack of understanding the draft process.

A. I don't drink coffee. I have taste buds.

B. Ponder didn't have the significant drop off in accuracy and production that Locker had.

C. He had 1 major shoulder injury (tackling someone) 2 yrs ago. You still worried about Drew Brees shoulder injury...? His elbow injury was just inflamation of the bursa sac. Pwilly had the same in his knee in 2009. How'd that effect him this yr?

D. Multiple people agree he dominated the combine.

E. I'm suggesting you "reach" because you feel he is a FRANCHISE qb and because of those other teams he MAY not be there late in the first early 2nd.

F. Ponder showed he has plenty of arm strength to play in a vert offense. Minnesota runs a WCO with Bill Musgrave as their OC.

G. Are you a GM?

Ponders drop in accuracy is not the argument, its who was rated as the best QB going into the year...much like Luck will be next year. He was rated with a first round grade, so were a lot of kids who wont be first round picks. And still Locker is rated higher then he is after having a mediocre year.

His injuries are more serious then you are hinting at. Suffering what has been diagnosed as a Grade 3 AC separation. His elbow was more then inflammation, he was drained 3 times and it happens to be his THROWING arm. And a nasty concussion that gave him a bit of memory loss. So we have a guy that has already had one major shoulder separation, bursa sac issues, and a mild concussion...the NFL is a bit more violent then college football.

Multiple people say multiple QB's did well, Ponder still hasn't been described as the number 1 or 2 QB. Again you are over inflating.

Reaching for a 2nd round talent in the early 1st is asinine. I like Kap and think he could be a franchise guy, would I take him at 7....no that would be retarded. They don't throw years of scouting away for a post Senior Bowl and Combine hunch, overreaction again. His value does not equal that selection.

Musgrave took advantage of Favre's arm and hit the burners deep, I don't see Ponder being able to do that on a consistent basis.

No I'm not a GM but I bet you don't see any of them drafting Ponder in the top ten either.

Quote:
Do you know how not serious a bursa sac injury is? It's a pain tolerance injury. Not structural. Nothing that will not allow Ponder to throw. It heals with time. As shown by his being able to throw very well since the season concluded.

Lot's of qbs suffer grade 3 shoulder separations. Brees, Alex Smith, Bradford are 3 examples of qb's that show no ill effects of that injury. Ponder has already shown he has no ill effects of his shoulder separation.

What makes you say Ponder is a 2nd round talent? Is it the fact his stats are better than the "top rated" qb, Blaine Gabbert? Is it that he's from a pro style offense and not the spread like the "top rated" qb, Blaine Gabbert?

You're right, scouts aren't going to throw away years of work just because of a sr. bowl and combine "overreaction". They're also not going to throw away Ponders entire career of being a highly accurate and highly effective quarterback. They're not going to throw away years of work that made him a top qb prospect heading into his Sr. year because he had some elbow inflammation that has now healed.

Oh and Musgrave never coached Favre... he was Matt Ryan's qb coach last year...

You want to place a bet on when he gets drafted?
[ Edited by jreff22 on Mar 1, 2011 at 12:30 PM ]
Originally posted by Legbreaker:
And so it begins...

According to CBS Sports' Rob Rang, Florida State QB Christian Ponder is "generating ... first-round buzz" after an impressive Combine.
Multiple accounts claimed that Ponder was the best, most accurate passer in Indy, and Rang passes along growing belief that five quarterbacks could be drafted in the top-32 picks. Along with Ponder, they would be Cam Newton, Blaine Gabbert, Ryan Mallett, and Jake Locker. Per Rang, Ponder is now "viewed by some as the top true West Coast Offense quarterback in the draft."

He'll fall. Just watch.

Fall to what?

I don't recall in past years hearing talk about the absolute IMPERATIVE that a team have a great QB in order to be successful in the NFL. This is a relatively recent mantra and has been the predominant and recurrent theme this post season. It's the first thing the Niners talked about when the new hires were made. It was reiterated over and over during the playoffs.

This realization is front and center these days.

Everyone talks of the great OLBs, DBs, DLs etc., and I confess the talk is sexy and sounds great. But any ONE of those guys will not have HALF the impact on the team's peformance that a QB will have.

So FIRST . . . you resolve your issues at QB. And, yes, you even take greater risks when making the choice at QB than any other position. After that, knock yourself out at the other positions.

Donno what game some guys were watching this year, but did your hear: The Packers had fifteen . . . count 'em . . . FIFTEEN starters go down on IR. They still won the SB against a juggernaut defense. I don't have to tell you why. ONE guy can make that kind of difference . . . and, sorry, but he's not playing DB, or OLB, or DL. Never before has that point been more cogently made and every team is well aware of it.

So:

IF Ponder is a top grade talent (some call it franchise QB) . . . Swag is presenting some pretty compelling eveidence that he is; and

IF he is CLEARLY the Niners top rated QB talent on the board (not co-equal, or one in a group of QBs); then

Can you honestly say that, with at least half of the teams out there fixated on finding the right guy, the Niners can afford to gamble that their franchise QB is going to last another 38-odd picks until it comes time to pick in the second? The Niners better not be taking a "wing-and-a-prayer" approach on this one. You can be sure that if the Niners feel he's the one, there's going to be at least a dozen others that will be feeling it too.

People talk about "reaching" and "value pick". You know, candidly, I don't even know what that means in this context. It's more like an emotional word/term people throw around to bolster ther argument when they can't present some solid rationale.

Now, if the Niners DON'T feel that he is all that, then this discussion is moot.
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
And so it begins...

He'll fall. Just watch.

Fall to what?

I don't recall in past years hearing talk about the absolute IMPERATIVE that a team have a great QB in order to be successful in the NFL. This is a relatively recent mantra and has been the predominant and recurrent theme this post season. It's the first thing the Niners talked about when the new hires were made. It was reiterated over and over during the playoffs.

This realization is front and center these days.

Everyone talks of the great OLBs, DBs, DLs etc., and I confess the talk is sexy and sounds great. But any ONE of those guys will not have HALF the impact on the team's peformance that a QB will have.

So FIRST . . . you resolve your issues at QB. And, yes, you even take greater risks when making the choice at QB than any other position. After that, knock yourself out at the other positions.

Donno what game some guys were watching this year, but did your hear: The Packers had fifteen . . . count 'em . . . FIFTEEN starters go down on IR. They still won the SB against a juggernaut defense. I don't have to tell you why. ONE guy can make that kind of difference . . . and, sorry, but he's not playing DB, or OLB, or DL. Never before has that point been more cogently made and every team is well aware of it.

So:

IF Ponder is a top grade talent (some call it franchise QB) . . . Swag is presenting some pretty compelling eveidence that he is; and

IF he is CLEARLY the Niners top rated QB talent on the board (not co-equal, or one in a group of QBs); then

Can you honestly say that, with at least half of the teams out there fixated on finding the right guy, the Niners can afford to gamble that their franchise QB is going to last another 38-odd picks until it comes time to pick in the second? The Niners better not be taking a "wing-and-a-prayer" approach on this one. You can be sure that if the Niners feel he's the one, there's going to be at least a dozen others that will be feeling it too.

People talk about "reaching" and "value pick". You know, candidly, I don't even know what that means in this context. It's more like an emotional word/term people throw around to bolster ther argument when they can't present some solid rationale.

Now, if the Niners DON'T feel that he is all that, then this discussion is moot.

Agreed. Except I still think Newton and Gabbert will be taken higher. So if Ponder is our guy I wouldn't mind trading back to like 10 or something and picking up an extra pick, or to like 17 with the Pats maybe for that and a 2nd and 4th or something?
And so it begins...

He'll fall. Just watch.

He could fall. If he is viewed as the top true West Coast offense QB, there isn't many teams running WC.
“I really believe I’m the whole package as a quarterback,” he said. “I have great accuracy, can make all the throws. The intelligence is a huge advantage for me. Being able to comprehend the offense, defense. We ran a complex offense at Florida State, so I think it’s going to carry over to the NFL, and I’m athletic enough to move in and out of the pocket and make plays with my feet.”

Ponder compares himself to Aaron Rodgers – “he’s able to move in and out of the pocket, he’s extremely accurate, and we’re about the same size, so I like to compare myself to him,” Ponder said – and he may have worked his way into the second round of the draft this week. Ponder could be a good value pick for the Dolphins in the second or third round.

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedailydolphin/2011/02/27/a-confident-healthy-christian-ponder-impresses-at-the-nfl-scouting-combine/

my bad if already posted.
Share 49ersWebzone