LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 555 users in the forums

The Christian Ponder Bandwagon

Originally posted by SWAGG-ER:
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
Not saying that Ponder is the guy. But if the Niners think he has franchise potential, they have to be pro active in getting him. And if he is the ONLY one they believe has franchise potential, they should pick him at the first opportunity, even if it is #7. If there are several who they think have franchise potential, then they can afford to wait. But they have to have all the elements in place to move up (or down) to get the franchise guy as soon as there is only one remaining on the board.

It definitely was suggested here and at least 1 other place that we should take him at 7 if we believe he's the guy.

While Ponder is my favorite option at QB, there is still such a thing as draft value and I don't think he should be valued that high when there will be much safer bets available and he's highly unlikely to be picked in the next 10 picks. Way over drafting him just because he's "our guy" is what the Bills tend to do, and I always wince when they make those terrible picks.

But what's to say it would be "over drafting"? If he was considered a top 10 prospect heading into the 2010 college football season, is 100% healthy now, was the Sr. Bowl MVP, dominated the combine, and fits YOUR WCO system perfectly, WHY not take him? If you feel he is a FRANCHISE qb, you DO NOT pass on him. Especially considering you have NO IDEA what other teams think of him. What if Tennessee, Washington, Minnesota, and Seattle ALL really like him. They very well could. Are you telling me you're gonna risk passing on a guy you feel is a FRANCHISE qb?
Originally posted by jreff22:
You need to switch to decaf. Lots of kids are considered top 10 prospects then fall out. Were not going off of last years information for this years draft. Locker was the consensus #1 QB going into this year so makinging Ponder out to be the top QB is incorrect. His inability to stay healthy is a big concern and takes precedent over his current health status. If you want to argue the Senior Bowl are we going to take into account the fact that the other 2 QB's on the South team got injured? I would not claim that he dominated anything at the Combine, again you are overreacting. Your idea of reaching for a kid because other teams might want him absurd. Using a very high pick to cock block another team is foolish and idiotic. Tennessee and Washington will not draft him that high, he does not have the arm strength to play in the vertical Minnesota offense. Seattle at the back of the pack may take a look at him but his ranking compared to the other athletes will not hold up.

He is a 2nd round QB or especially late 1st (which I doubt). If you want to move then move to the top of the 2nd, but even mentioning the idea of him at 7 shows a complete lack of understanding the draft process.

A. I don't drink coffee. I have taste buds.

B. Ponder didn't have the significant drop off in accuracy and production that Locker had.

C. He had 1 major shoulder injury (tackling someone) 2 yrs ago. You still worried about Drew Brees shoulder injury...? His elbow injury was just inflamation of the bursa sac. Pwilly had the same in his knee in 2009. How'd that effect him this yr?

D. Multiple people agree he dominated the combine.

E. I'm suggesting you "reach" because you feel he is a FRANCHISE qb and because of those other teams he MAY not be there late in the first early 2nd.

F. Ponder showed he has plenty of arm strength to play in a vert offense. Minnesota runs a WCO with Bill Musgrave as their OC.

G. Are you a GM?
I have no part of the Ponder argument, but your last line is fairly pointless. None of us are GM's and that includes you.

So as a way of undermining another poster's argument, it doesn't work.
Originally posted by English:

Originally posted by valrod33:

He has a point there.

Coffee, smells so good... tastes so bad!
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:

He has a point there.

Some Coffee smells like s**t!
Originally posted by wailers15:

He has a point there.

From what I've read... some coffee IS s**t. Something about the beans being shat out by cats.

Back on topic. I like Ponder and hope he is available in the 2nd round.
  • Riot
  • Veteran

He has a point there.

From what I've read... some coffee IS s**t. Something about the beans being shat out by cats.

It's shat out by monkeys, and it's delightful.
Originally posted by Riot:

He has a point there.

It's shat out by monkeys, and it's delightful.

It's even better when the monkey's ass is massaged daily, makes the bean taste better or something
i am all for moving up in the 2nd round to draft CP.
There is still Ponder's pro day, but with what he has shown so far at the Combine and Senior Bowl, there is definitely a chance he gets nabs early in the 2nd round to one of the QB hungry teams. But if Mallett were to fall into the 2nd round because of his off-field concerns and Locker were to fall into the 2nd as well because of his accuracy issues, there is a chance Ponder falls to us if the other early 2nd round teams are enamored with Mallet or Locker.

On the other hand, one of those teams may have Ponder rated higher than Mallett or Locker.
If Tim Tebow can go in the first round, so can this guy. I'm confident if they think he's the guy, they'll move up to get him.

Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
If Tim Tebow can go in the first round, so can this guy. I'm confident if they think he's the guy, they'll move up to get him.

Tebow is no way near as injury prone as Ponder. Ponder is a very good QB but has zero luck with injuries. Guy gets injured way to easily to be a 1st rd pick.
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:

Tebow is no way near as injury prone as Ponder. Ponder is a very good QB but has zero luck with injuries. Guy gets injured way to easily to be a 1st rd pick.

Sam Bradford would disagree

I give you Frank Gore and he plays a position that takes more hits, but did okay. You There are others. May say but we drafted him in the third, the point is sometimes you gotta take a chance with a pick that is not in the first.

I think Ponder is a 2nd rounder and we will need to move up if he is the one they want. Also what needs to happen is that within the first fifteen picks, 3 QBs need to be scooped to lesson the likelyhood of him going to early. It will be interesting to see, the league when drafting often panicks when there are runs on a position.

Sam Bradford wasnt gimpy every season like Ponder was each year. Not knocking him in anyway but being injury prone. Thats Ponders only weakness imho. Id risk a 3rd rd pick on Ponder any draft.

Sam Bradford wasnt gimpy every season like Ponder was each year. Not knocking him in anyway but being injury prone. Thats Ponders only weakness imho. Id risk a 3rd rd pick on Ponder any draft.

Ponder wont even be there in the 3nd round most likely.. Thier rumors he might go in the bottom of the first..
Share 49ersWebzone