The Ricky Stanzi Bandwagon

Originally posted by Thorhawk:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by Paul:

He should be in a niner uniform. Maybe we can trade McCown and Chilo for him

The guy studied Tom Brady's mechanics, I love his passion for the game. I'm also pissed hes not in a 9er uniform. What's sickening is that we have crap for back up's behind Smith. I know everyones love for Kaepernick, but we could've had Stanzi too.

I can't lie, I'm not that big of a Kaepernick fan. From what I see I just don't see what all the hype is about. I have said it before and I will say it again, Stanzi will be the best QB in this years draft.

I'm bummed that Stanzi isn't in a Niner uniform as well, but honestly, I don't see him doing that well behind our o-line. When Kaepernick had time against Oakland, he made the proper reads and got the ball accurately to his receivers as well. If our QBs are given time, they will succeed in the WCO.

Man I wanted Stanzi so badBut I think Kaepernick can be our qb of the future

I get depressed when I see Kaepernick play because we could have had Stanzi.
Im not saying Kaepernick wont be the future franchise QB but he's so raw he seems overwhelmed in a pro system and looks every bit of a project. Even though they traded up I don't think they expected so many reaches with Locker,Ponder and Dalton. I think both Alex Smith and Kaepernick became 49ers this year because of the lockout, next year I think we draft another QB to be honest.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 49ersGiantspride:
Im not saying Kaepernick wont be the future franchise QB but he's so raw he seems overwhelmed in a pro system and looks every bit of a project. Even though they traded up I don't think they expected so many reaches with Locker,Ponder and Dalton. I think both Alex Smith and Kaepernick became 49ers this year because of the lockout, next year I think we draft another QB to be honest.

No, we REALLY need to draft another QB next year. Of course this depends on how well Alex Smith does this season on where we take one in the draft. I think after this year, Alex Smith re-signs, McCown is not, and we draft another QB in the 3rd or 4th rounds.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

No, we REALLY need to draft another QB next year. Of course this depends on how well Alex Smith does this season on where we take one in the draft. I think after this year, Alex Smith re-signs, McCown is not, and we draft another QB in the 3rd or 4th rounds.
If Alex does well around 20 TDs and a QB rating in the high 80s or or low 90s he stays but I really don't see another project being drafted next year or Smith staying. The fact this team has deep roots in the spread offense like Smith,Crabtree,Davis,and so forth, the transition to the WCO is really going to challenge this offense especially the QB. Because it hasn't been used in SF since '05 and before that '02, a lot of 49er fans really have forgotten how advanced and challenging the west coast offense is, Joe Montana and Jerry Rice talked about how the difference between the spread and WCO was substantial on the Dan Patrick show a few months ago even saying that adapting to the offense took them more than a year to do.

Montana said in another interview it wasn't until the end of the 1980 season that he really started to grasp the offense and by '81 he mastered it, Young was the same way. If it took Montana and Young 2 years to learn it, how are we to believe Smith can do it in a month with limited reps? the niners could very well be in position to draft one of the 3 QBs in the first round next year. Like I said earlier Smith and Kaepernick are niners mainly because of the lockout.
If Alex does well around 20 TDs and a QB rating in the high 80s or or low 90s he stays but I really don't see another project being drafted next year or Smith staying. The fact this team has deep roots in the spread offense like Smith,Crabtree,Davis,and so forth, the transition to the WCO is really going to challenge this offense especially the QB. Because it hasn't been used in SF since '05 and before that '02, a lot of 49er fans really have forgotten how advanced and challenging the west coast offense is, Joe Montana and Jerry Rice talked about how the difference between the spread and WCO was substantial on the Dan Patrick show a few months ago even saying that adapting to the offense took them more than a year to do.

Montana said in another interview it wasn't until the end of the 1980 season that he really started to grasp the offense and by '81 he mastered it, Young was the same way. If it took Montana and Young 2 years to learn it, how are we to believe Smith can do it in a month with limited reps? the niners could very well be in position to draft one of the 3 QBs in the first round next year. Like I said earlier Smith and Kaepernick are niners mainly because of the lockout.

But Smith got a 40 on the wunderlic!!
I'm fine with Kaepernick as our QB of the future. My thought is this:

Joe Montana, Steve Young, Jeff Garcia, and a lot of the great West Coast Offense QBs became the QBs they were because of good coaches and a good system. For the longest time, when we had had great offensive minds in the past... not only did these guys succeed, but Steve Bono and Elvis Grbac were able to become starters on other teams after serving as a backup in the system for a few years.

I know when Brett Favre and Mike Holmgren were in Green Bay, Matt Hasselbeck, Mark Brunell, and Aaron Brooks broke into the league as his backups. Matt Schaub developed in Atlanta while Kevin Kolb learned in Philadelphia.

I'm not saying coaching is the only factor. Of course it matters who you draft. Obviously a guy like Jim Druckenmiller never panned out, even when we had a good staff. But I like to think that Harbaugh will be of the same caliber in developing a QB a la Mike Holmgren or Andy Reid. And when you have the coaching ability to develop a QB, don't you want a player with great physical talent? The kind of talent that, no matter how well you gameplan and how technically skilled a defender is, the QB can still make a play?

In other words, Kaepernick simply has more upside than a guy like Ricki Stanzi (who I like). Maybe Stanzi will be a better QB than Kaep for the next two years... but the thought is that a developed Kaepernick could be exponentially better than Stanzi for every year after that.
Originally posted by Wubbie:
I'm fine with Kaepernick as our QB of the future. My thought is this:

Joe Montana, Steve Young, Jeff Garcia, and a lot of the great West Coast Offense QBs became the QBs they were because of good coaches and a good system. For the longest time, when we had had great offensive minds in the past... not only did these guys succeed, but Steve Bono and Elvis Grbac were able to become starters on other teams after serving as a backup in the system for a few years.

I know when Brett Favre and Mike Holmgren were in Green Bay, Matt Hasselbeck, Mark Brunell, and Aaron Brooks broke into the league as his backups. Matt Schaub developed in Atlanta while Kevin Kolb learned in Philadelphia.

I'm not saying coaching is the only factor. Of course it matters who you draft. Obviously a guy like Jim Druckenmiller never panned out, even when we had a good staff. But I like to think that Harbaugh will be of the same caliber in developing a QB a la Mike Holmgren or Andy Reid. And when you have the coaching ability to develop a QB, don't you want a player with great physical talent? The kind of talent that, no matter how well you gameplan and how technically skilled a defender is, the QB can still make a play?

In other words, Kaepernick simply has more upside than a guy like Ricki Stanzi (who I like). Maybe Stanzi will be a better QB than Kaep for the next two years... but the thought is that a developed Kaepernick could be exponentially better than Stanzi for every year after that.
ya but Kaepernick coming from a pistol offense which is a simplified shotgun offense, developing Kaepernick could take a few years and that is if he can get comfortable in the WCO it's already difficult enough for QBs in the spread to transition to WCO, even more so for pistol QBs like Kaepernick because his reads still need work,he's not used to playing under center, he's a runner which he did more than half the time in college and he has a slow release. He'll have to make a lot of adjustments, if Harbaugh really thinks he's the future than Kaep needs to ride the pine and take notes.
Share 49ersWebzone