There are 273 users in the forums

Would you Trade away our #1 in 2012 to Move up for Luck?

Would you Trade away our #1 in 2012 to Move up for Luck?

No, but i'd give up our 1st, 2nd & 4th this year to do so...and get Mr. Luck.
andrew luck is so f**kin good
Originally posted by highway49:
No, but i'd give up our 1st, 2nd & 4th this year to do so...and get Mr. Luck.

So pass rush and db problems to remain unsolved for another year? All our draft apples in one basket which may bust or get seriously injured?

Not for me. And from where I hope we will draft the 1st, 2nd and 4th won't do it. Phew!
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
I actually think Buffalo or Carolina might decline an extra first to miss out on Luck. Luck is that good.
Originally posted by Hopper:
I actually think Buffalo or Carolina might decline an extra first to miss out on Luck. Luck is that good.

I agree. I dont care what it takes. I'd give up a first and 3rd this season and a first and fourth next season for Luck. Until we get a franchise QB and a great HC we will continue to be mediocre at best.

Luck and Harbaugh in 2011!
Here is how the draft value chart (outdated and only a guide) breaks out:

#1 pick = 3000 points

#7 pick = 1500 points (assume we pick 7th)
2nd round pick = 510 points
3rd round pick = 235 points
Next years 1st round pick (assume we improve and pick 16th overall) = 1000 points
=3245 points overall to move up to #1

*trading a future #1 pick is devalued by teams so this is actually a pretty good deal
*we may have to add additional picks

Teams at the top who may trade out:
Buffalo - possibly, they need a QB but will their owner pay a rookie this much and they need lots of pieces
Carolina-possibly, they may want AJ Green or some other player more than Luck, they just picked Jimmy Clausen, they are rebuilding for possibly a new coach

Why would Luck declare early?
*See Jake Locker 2010
*Possible rookie cap in new labor deal

Yea so what, why trade up anyway?

* Luck has completed nearly 70 percent of his passes (5th in the nation)
* He's thrown for over 2500 passing yards (28th in the nation), at a clip of 8.4 yards per attempt (20th in the nation)
* He's thrown 22 touchdowns (tied for 13th in the nation) and 7 interceptions (tied for 41st in the nation), compiling nearly a 160 passer rating (10th in the nation).
* When he takes off and runs, he can pick up some big chunks of yardage (8.11 rushing yards per carry this season!).
* His situational stats look like something out of a video game. 70% completion rate on 3rd down, just over 50% 3rd down conversion rate, 17 touchdowns and 1 interception in the red zone for an absurd 211 passer rating, 72% completion rate, 10 touchdowns and zero interceptions in the first quarter for a 191 passer rating...blech.
* Despite not having a stellar offensive showing against the Sun Devils, he calmly led the Cardinal down the field to the go-ahead 4th quarter score with both his arm and his legs. Additionally, that 44 yard throw he made while falling down is not something you'll see at the college level.
* He's not afraid to go out and block for his tailback (admirable if somewhat questionable), and he'll gladly truck a defender when he gets the chance (admirable, even if it's outright dumb).
* He torched a pretty decent Wildcats secondary at a 72% completion clip and 9.2 passing yards per attempt. He roasted the Trojans with a perfect 20 for 24, 3 touchdown, 11.9 yards per attempt performance. Other than throwing some tough interceptions in Autzen, he's had a pretty spotless sophomore campaign.

[ Edited by ChaunceyGardner on Nov 21, 2010 at 08:42:21 ]
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
I'd give up the entire draft next year, and the entire draft the year after that for Andrew Luck
Originally posted by crzy:
I'd give up the entire draft next year, and the entire draft the year after that for Andrew Luck
  • Veteran
Absolutely, I'll even give 2013 first round selection too.
Cool down boys, Don't let your emotions run amuck. Consider:

Luck's current stats:
224/319 70.2% 2746 yds 8.6yds/att 24 TDs 7 INTs.

Now compare this to QB X:
214/317 67.5 % 2952 yds 9.3 yds/att 32 TDs 4 INTs

Pretty impressive. Who is QB X?

Alex Smith in '04.

would you have made a similar trade to get peyton manning---if you feel the guy is a star qb, the price isnt too high--get him and build around him
Originally posted by excelsior:
Cool down boys, Don't let your emotions run amuck. Consider:

Luck's current stats:
224/319 70.2% 2746 yds 8.6yds/att 24 TDs 7 INTs.

Now compare this to QB X:
214/317 67.5 % 2952 yds 9.3 yds/att 32 TDs 4 INTs

Pretty impressive. Who is QB X?

Alex Smith in '04.

you have to be pretty ignorant to pull that comparison

Alex's numbers came from a spread system, Andrew plays in a pro-style system that is VERY successful running the ball

Alex was not ready to step in on day 1 and be a starting QB, this was well known at the time it's not just hindsight. Andrew IS NFL ready, he's more NFL ready than Bradford was a year ago and look how well he's doing.

If you wanna argue against the idea proposed in this trade feel free to do so, but bring a good argument, not that garbage you posted

or how the folks in SportsCenter say, don't bring that koolaid to a grown man's party
hell yeah
i'm gonna be so pissed if he doesn't declare this year... we NEED to get him
PLEASE TRADE ALL OF OUR PICKS
Share 49ersWebzone