Not a member? Register Now!

Locker v. Luck, The Great QB Debate

Locker v. Luck, The Great QB Debate

• titan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
The debate should actually be, mobile QB vs. pocket passer.

Give me a pocket passer over a mobile QB ANY DAY!!!

So you didn't like Steve Young then? He was garbage.

Please stop with the Jake Locker and Steve Young comparison. At least Steve came back on his reads before taking off, WHEN it wasn't a designed play.

But yah, I'd take Joe Montana, Tom Brady or Peyton Manning over Steve Young and Mike Vick and Tim Tebow.

Exactly! but the crazy part is I don't understand why everyone just remembers Steve Young only as a scrambler? Young is an awesome in the pocket QB who made all his reads and the scrambled. Young is a true double threat instant WildCat.
Originally posted by titan:

Please stop with the Jake Locker and Steve Young comparison. At least Steve came back on his reads before taking off, WHEN it wasn't a designed play.

But yah, I'd take Joe Montana, Tom Brady or Peyton Manning over Steve Young and Mike Vick and Tim Tebow.

Exactly! but the crazy part is I don't understand why everyone just remembers Steve Young only as a scrambler? Young is an awesome in the pocket QB who made all his reads and the scrambled. Young is a true double threat instant WildCat.

Exactly like Locker. He's tremendous in the pocket and makes great throws. His arm is the best thing about him. People act like all he does is run. Comparing him to Michael Vick... He's nothing like Vick in college. Vick was run only. Not Locker. He can and does pass and does it well.

It doesn't surprise me really. The Bay Area BIAS once again rears it's ugly head on the WZ. You see this all the time. Of course lots of people around here grew up Stanford fans, watch a lot of Stanford football and probably even go to some of the games. I don't think they have even seen Locker play. Because the guy they describe is not him. He's some stereotype they have in their mind but not the complete picture. I've seen both Locker and Luck in person and on TV many times.

[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Oct 10, 2010 at 13:21:55 ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Locker most certainly comes back to his reads before taking off. I don't think you have seen him play... Because he is nothing like you describe. You have a lot of misconceptions about him. He is a pocket passer first. If nothing is there he will run. And they have some by design running plays for him at WA in which case he will take off running. Sometimes he gains like 50 yards on those. But he doesn't take off running first unless it's designed as a run. And again his arm is accurate and strong.

Misconception....dude, you act like I've only seen Youtube highlights of him. I've seen him play in person and TV.

You saying Locker is a pocket passer first is like when you said Eric Crouch was a 4.7 guy.

Where did you see him play in person? I don't see where Crouch comes in. He's 6'0". Locker is 6'3" 226 lbs. No comparison at all. Locker is much bigger than Steve Young was during his playing days.

UH season Ticket holder, he played the same then and looks pretty much the same now, except hes in a new offense. I even had money on Washington a few times last year, so yes I payed close attention to him.

Crouch and Locker comparison is due to the fact that they both made that one-look read then took off. Your height and weight comparison is laughable only because its the obvious.

Locker most certainly comes back to his reads before taking off. I don't think you have seen him play... Because he is nothing like you describe. You have a lot of misconceptions about him. He is a pocket passer first. If nothing is there he will run. And they have some by design running plays for him at WA in which case he will take off running. Sometimes he gains like 50 yards on those. But he doesn't take off running first unless it's designed as a run. And again his arm is accurate and strong.

Misconception....dude, you act like I've only seen Youtube highlights of him. I've seen him play in person and TV.

You saying Locker is a pocket passer first is like when you said Eric Crouch was a 4.7 guy.

Where did you see him play in person? I don't see where Crouch comes in. He's 6'0". Locker is 6'3" 226 lbs. No comparison at all. Locker is much bigger than Steve Young was during his playing days.

UH season Ticket holder, he played the same then and looks pretty much the same now, except hes in a new offense. I even had money on Washington a few times last year, so yes I payed close attention to him.

Crouch and Locker comparison is due to the fact that they both made that one-look read then took off. Your height and weight comparison is laughable only because its the obvious.

You don't think there is a difference between a 6'0" and light NFL prospect and a 6'3" 226 lb. prospect with a much better arm?... LOL seriously?
  • kush
  • Veteran

Exactly like Locker. He's tremendous in the pocket and makes great throws. His arm is the best thing about him. People act like all he does is run. Comparing him to Michael Vick... He's nothing like Vick in college. Vick was run only. Not Locker. He can and does pass and does it well.

It doesn't surprise me really. The Bay Area BIAS once again rears it's ugly head on the WZ. You see this all the time. Of course lots of people around here grew up Stanford fans, watch a lot of Stanford football and probably even go to some of the games. I don't think they have even seen Locker play. Because the guy they describe is not him. He's some stereotype they have in their mind but not the complete picture. I've seen both Locker and Luck in person and on TV many times.

Ha! I grew up rooting for Cal and hated Stanford, but still there's no denying Luck is a great looking quarterback prospect. As for Locker...there's always the wildcat.
Originally posted by SourdoughDan:

Ha! I grew up rooting for Cal and hated Stanford, but still there's no denying Luck is a great looking quarterback prospect. As for Locker...there's always the wildcat.

If you give Luck 5 seconds to throw he's good. I've never seen him do anything good when he doesn't have time. He won't get that much time in the NFL.

You obviously have not seen Locker play if you call him a wildcat guy. But it doesn't surprise me around here. Most who comment on him haven't seen him play.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

You don't think there is a difference between a 6'0" and light NFL prospect and a 6'3" 226 lb. prospect with a much better arm?... LOL seriously?

Did you read my post.....TWICE??

Third times a charm I guess.

Obvious comparisons are part of the process. What only "non obvious things allowed?... Why is it laughable that he is much bigger, stronger and has a better arm than the guy you like to throw out as a comparison?
  • kush
  • Veteran

If you give Luck 5 seconds to throw he's good. I've never seen him do anything good when he doesn't have time. He won't get that much time in the NFL.

You obviously have not seen Locker play if you call him a wildcat guy. But it doesn't surprise me around here. Most who comment on him haven't seen him play.

I have seen him(most recently versus) and I was terribly disappointed. His body language was Alex Smith-like while I was watching and he had a Smith-esqe overthrow on a wide open pass that would've gone for a td. His short throw accuracy scares me. As for Luck, you must have not seen him play, because he is money. Leading his receivers, always putting great touch on his passes...he looks like a quarterback out there. When have you seen Luck play?

I have seen him(most recently versus) and I was terribly disappointed. His body language was Alex Smith-like while I was watching and he had a Smith-esqe overthrow on a wide open pass that would've gone for a td. His short throw accuracy scares me. As for Luck, you must have not seen him play, because he is money. Leading his receivers, always putting great touch on his passes...he looks like a quarterback out there. When have you seen Luck play?

I've seen Luck play at UCLA and many times on TV. His good throws are with 5+ seconds of time. I've never seen anything special if he doesn't get huge time. He won't get that much time in the NFL.

Locker is nothing Alex Smith like in body language or accuracy or overthrowing. No comparison at all. I don't think you have seen him...

[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Oct 10, 2010 at 13:40:18 ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Obvious comparisons are part of the process. What only "non obvious things allowed?... Why is it laughable that he is much bigger, stronger and has a better arm than the guy you like to throw out as a comparison?

Because measurable's are obviously NOT comparable....their play at QB is my comparison, why don't you get that.

Because measurable's are obviously NOT comparable....their play at QB is my comparison, why don't you get that.

~ They don't play anything alike.
~ Their measurables are nothing alike either.

I see no relative comparison.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

I take it you haven't seen Eric Crouch play before.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Someone must be watching some highlight video's right now on Youtube.

I take it you haven't seen Eric Crouch play before.

Yup I've seen him play. First of all Nebraska was a powerhouse of talent compared to Washington. The supporting role players were 10 times better for Crouch. And he was mostly a runner only.

Where is the powerhouse talent on WA? Show me? What great O Line? What great WR's? What great Defense backing them up? It's all Locker. He carries them by himself. And unlike Crouch he can and does pass as a first option. He sticks in the pocket going to 2nd, 3rd options many times. You should really watch him play sometime...

[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Oct 10, 2010 at 13:54:31 ]