LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 348 users in the forums

Locker v. Luck, The Great QB Debate

Locker v. Luck, The Great QB Debate

Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
depends what we want

luck is a smart player but is a game manager he wont throw 300 yds and 3 td games too often

locker is a great prospect good footwork excellent arm good pocket presence etc. he can be a superstar qb but also he has a chance of becoming a bust

in conclusion luck is the safe pick but locker has a much higher upside

this is just my opinion though
why is luck the safe pick??? he is surrounded by much more talent than locker...dont get me wrong, luck is a very good prospect but locker is proven in playing with no talent, especially at the o-line. and he can run, which luck cant. ponder can it, too.
as long as our o-line isnt stabilized, we need a mobile qb and neither luck nor mallett are mobile (in terms of speed).

True. Luck has much better talent. People act like U. of Washington has talent. But they don't. When Steve Sarkisian went there to coach they were last in talent level in the entire PAC 10. It's not even close. And their talent level with the exception of Locker is still very sub standard by PAC 10 measures.

With all that being said it's remarkable what Locker can do in the pocket and running. He carries the team by himself. And they aren't that good. That's why I think he's impressive.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
The debate should actually be, mobile QB vs. pocket passer.

Give me a pocket passer over a mobile QB ANY DAY!!!
Luck, but I would take a chance on either I think.
It won't matter who we draft at QB if we still have the current offensive staff next year, minus Mike Solari of course, and coach Sing running the show......

It's like crying over not getting Rodgers instead.. Chances are Nolan would have ruined Rodgers too... It's like crying over not signing Vick.. Vick got better by Reid and his staff changing Vick's footwork and other measurables and being able to learn from McNabb... Who on the 49er Staff would have been able to coach up Vick? Who would he have been able to sit and watch and learn how to really be an NFL QB from the 49ers active roster?

Bottom line folks... Won't matter if Sing is still the man.... And his fate lies with the Ownership.. So once again, this all goes back to the top...

Does anyone think it's possible Jed learns from this and hires a top GM and let's him do his thing? If those things don't happen, it won't matter who we draft...

Seriously, look at our team.. In 3 positions, Willis, Davis and Gore, there are 3 of some of the best in the business, and the rest of the roster isn't that bad, yet we are 0-4.............. Possibly 0-5.. I mean who here thinks Singletary can out coach Andy Ried?
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Byisgod:
To be honest, I think Ponder will be better than either of them lol

Yeah, don't sleep on Ponder, put him in our offense and he'll do well and we don't have to draft him top 10.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Eduardo75:
It won't matter who we draft at QB if we still have the current offensive staff next year, minus Mike Solari of course, and coach Sing running the show......

It's like crying over not getting Rodgers instead.. Chances are Nolan would have ruined Rodgers too... It's like crying over not signing Vick.. Vick got better by Reid and his staff changing Vick's footwork and other measurables and being able to learn from McNabb... Who on the 49er Staff would have been able to coach up Vick? Who would he have been able to sit and watch and learn how to really be an NFL QB from the 49ers active roster?

Bottom line folks... Won't matter if Sing is still the man.... And his fate lies with the Ownership.. So once again, this all goes back to the top...

Does anyone think it's possible Jed learns from this and hires a top GM and let's him do his thing? If those things don't happen, it won't matter who we draft...

Seriously, look at our team.. In 3 positions, Willis, Davis and Gore, there are 3 of some of the best in the business, and the rest of the roster isn't that bad, yet we are 0-4.............. Possibly 0-5.. I mean who here thinks Singletary can out coach Andy Ried?

I don't think Sing can out coach Reid, but I think our players can out play their players.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

So you didn't like Steve Young then? He was garbage.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Please stop with the Jake Locker and Steve Young comparison. At least Steve came back on his reads before taking off, WHEN it wasn't a designed play.

But yah, I'd take Joe Montana, Tom Brady or Peyton Manning over Steve Young and Mike Vick and Tim Tebow.

[ Edited by Kolohe on Oct 10, 2010 at 12:58:09 ]

Steve Young..."Completed 71.3 percent (306-429 for 3,902 yards and 33 TDs) of his passes as a senior for the highest single-season percentage in NCAA history at the time ... BYU won 11 of 12 games, including a Holiday Bowl victory over Missouri, in 1983, as he passed for better that 300 yards in all but two of the games."

Locker is not Steve Young dude. Sure, he's white has a good arm and can run, but his completion percentage is almost 20% lower, and he's on pace for 19 td's and 7 int's this year.

2010 93 168 1145 55.4 6.82 57 8 3 6 124.75
Projected 223 403 2748 55.4 6.82 57 19 7 14 124.75

[ Edited by SourdoughDan on Oct 10, 2010 at 12:57:22 ]

Amen brother!

Please stop with the Jake Locker and Steve Young comparison. At least Steve came back on his reads before taking off, WHEN it wasn't a designed play.

But yah, I'd take Joe Montana, Tom Brady or Peyton Manning over Steve Young and Mike Vick and Tim Tebow.

Locker most certainly comes back to his reads before taking off. I don't think you have seen him play... Because he is nothing like you describe. You have a lot of misconceptions about him. He is a pocket passer first. If nothing is there he will run. And they have some by design running plays for him at WA in which case he will take off running. Sometimes he gains like 50 yards on those. But he doesn't take off running first unless it's designed as a run. And again his arm is accurate and strong.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SourdoughDan:

Amen brother!

Give me a QB that will utilize his weapons around him, instead of taking off risking getting injured ala Mike Vick who has been injured twice now when on the run.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Locker most certainly comes back to his reads before taking off. I don't think you have seen him play... Because he is nothing like you describe. You have a lot of misconceptions about him. He is a pocket passer first. If nothing is there he will run. And they have some by design running plays for him at WA in which case he will take off running. Sometimes he gains like 50 yards on those. But he doesn't take off running first unless it's designed as a run. And again his arm is accurate and strong.

Misconception....dude, you act like I've only seen Youtube highlights of him. I've seen him play in person and TV.

You saying Locker is a pocket passer first is like when you said Eric Crouch was a 4.7 guy.
Originally posted by SourdoughDan:

Amen brother!

Give me a QB that will utilize his weapons around him, instead of taking off risking getting injured ala Mike Vick who has been injured twice now when on the run.

And give me a QB who stays calm and collected all the time.....

...and having a completion percentage over 60 doesn't hurt...

Misconception....dude, you act like I've only seen Youtube highlights of him. I've seen him play in person and TV.

You saying Locker is a pocket passer first is like when you said Eric Crouch was a 4.7 guy.

Where did you see him play in person? I don't see where Crouch comes in. He's 6'0". Locker is 6'3" 226 lbs. No comparison at all. Locker is much bigger than Steve Young was during his playing days.
Share 49ersWebzone