Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
The debate should actually be, mobile QB vs. pocket passer.

Give me a pocket passer over a mobile QB ANY DAY!!!

So you didn't like Steve Young then? He was garbage.

Please stop with the Jake Locker and Steve Young comparison. At least Steve came back on his reads before taking off, WHEN it wasn't a designed play.

But yah, I'd take Joe Montana, Tom Brady or Peyton Manning over Steve Young and Mike Vick and Tim Tebow.

Locker most certainly comes back to his reads before taking off. I don't think you have seen him play... Because he is nothing like you describe. You have a lot of misconceptions about him. He is a pocket passer first. If nothing is there he will run. And they have some by design running plays for him at WA in which case he will take off running. Sometimes he gains like 50 yards on those. But he doesn't take off running first unless it's designed as a run. And again his arm is accurate and strong.

Misconception....dude, you act like I've only seen Youtube highlights of him. I've seen him play in person and TV.

You saying Locker is a pocket passer first is like when you said Eric Crouch was a 4.7 guy.

Where did you see him play in person? I don't see where Crouch comes in. He's 6'0". Locker is 6'3" 226 lbs. No comparison at all. Locker is much bigger than Steve Young was during his playing days.

UH season Ticket holder, he played the same then and looks pretty much the same now, except hes in a new offense. I even had money on Washington a few times last year, so yes I payed close attention to him.

Crouch and Locker comparison is due to the fact that they both made that one-look read then took off. Your height and weight comparison is laughable only because its the obvious.

You don't think there is a difference between a 6'0" and light NFL prospect and a 6'3" 226 lb. prospect with a much better arm?... LOL seriously?

Did you read my post.....TWICE??

Third times a charm I guess.

Obvious comparisons are part of the process. What only "non obvious things allowed?... Why is it laughable that he is much bigger, stronger and has a better arm than the guy you like to throw out as a comparison?

Because measurable's are obviously NOT comparable....their play at QB is my comparison, why don't you get that.

~ They don't play anything alike.
~ Their measurables are nothing alike either.

I see no relative comparison.

I take it you haven't seen Eric Crouch play before.

Yup I've seen him play. First of all Nebraska was a powerhouse of talent compared to Washington. The supporting role players were 10 times better for Crouch. And he was mostly a runner only.

Where is the powerhouse talent on WA? Show me? What great O Line? What great WR's? What great Defense backing them up? It's all Locker. He carries them by himself. And unlike Crouch he can and does pass as a first option. He sticks in the pocket going to 2nd, 3rd options many times. You should really watch him play sometime...

LMAO!!!
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
MAlltet is better than both of them

He's an interception waiting to happen. I've really soured on that guy. Both Locker and Luck are light years ahead of that guy IMO. A million dollar arm, a ten cent head and shoddy inconsistent accuracy. That guy will tease you forever in the NFL but mostly kill you.
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
MAlltet is better than both of them

He's an interception waiting to happen. I've really soured on that guy. Both Locker and Luck are light years ahead of that guy IMO. A million dollar arm, a ten cent head and shoddy inconsistent accuracy. That guy will tease you forever in the NFL but mostly kill you.

Lol, I'll argue with you to the end of time on Luck and Locker, but I'm right with you on Mallet :) There's something we can agree on.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SourdoughDan:

Please stop with the Jake Locker and Steve Young comparison. At least Steve came back on his reads before taking off, WHEN it wasn't a designed play.

But yah, I'd take Joe Montana, Tom Brady or Peyton Manning over Steve Young and Mike Vick and Tim Tebow.

Locker most certainly comes back to his reads before taking off. I don't think you have seen him play... Because he is nothing like you describe. You have a lot of misconceptions about him. He is a pocket passer first. If nothing is there he will run. And they have some by design running plays for him at WA in which case he will take off running. Sometimes he gains like 50 yards on those. But he doesn't take off running first unless it's designed as a run. And again his arm is accurate and strong.

Misconception....dude, you act like I've only seen Youtube highlights of him. I've seen him play in person and TV.

You saying Locker is a pocket passer first is like when you said Eric Crouch was a 4.7 guy.

Where did you see him play in person? I don't see where Crouch comes in. He's 6'0". Locker is 6'3" 226 lbs. No comparison at all. Locker is much bigger than Steve Young was during his playing days.

UH season Ticket holder, he played the same then and looks pretty much the same now, except hes in a new offense. I even had money on Washington a few times last year, so yes I payed close attention to him.

Crouch and Locker comparison is due to the fact that they both made that one-look read then took off. Your height and weight comparison is laughable only because its the obvious.

You don't think there is a difference between a 6'0" and light NFL prospect and a 6'3" 226 lb. prospect with a much better arm?... LOL seriously?

Obvious comparisons are part of the process. What only "non obvious things allowed?... Why is it laughable that he is much bigger, stronger and has a better arm than the guy you like to throw out as a comparison?

Because measurable's are obviously NOT comparable....their play at QB is my comparison, why don't you get that.

Yup I've seen him play. First of all Nebraska was a powerhouse of talent compared to Washington. The supporting role players were 10 times better for Crouch. And he was mostly a runner only.

Where is the powerhouse talent on WA? Show me? What great O Line? What great WR's? What great Defense backing them up? It's all Locker. He carries them by himself. And unlike Crouch he can and does pass as a first option. He sticks in the pocket going to 2nd, 3rd options many times. You should really watch him play sometime...

LMAO!!!

I take it he hasn't watch Locker play.

give locker the stanford o-line and you will see a locket of pocket action by him. and who said that locker or ponder cant be pocket passers???
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by communist:

give locker the stanford o-line and you will see a locket of pocket action by him. and who said that locker or ponder cant be pocket passers???

A lot of the reason why Stanford's O-line doesn't allow too many sacks, I think Luck has alot to do with that. Luck makes quick decision's, gets the ball out quickly, gets into a short passing rhythm and runs when he has to. Who on Stanford's O-line is being recognized as a mid round draft pick compared to Washington's Cody Habben and Ryan Tolar?? I think you people give more credit to Stanford's O-line than you should. I'm not saying Stanford's O-line sucks or isn't playing good, but it QB play and coaching should also be a factor.
Originally posted by communist:

A lot of the reason why Stanford's O-line doesn't allow too many sacks, I think Luck has alot to do with that. Luck makes quick decision's, gets the ball out quickly, gets into a short passing rhythm and runs when he has to. Who on Stanford's O-line is being recognized as a mid round draft pick compared to Washington's Cody Habben and Ryan Tolar?? I think you people give more credit to Stanford's O-line than you should. I'm not saying Stanford's O-line sucks or isn't playing good, but it QB play and coaching should also be a factor.

The Stanford O Line is a brick wall. Luck has like 5 seconds to throw. Locker doesn't have an O Line. He's on his own.

LMAO!!!

I take it he hasn't watch Locker play.

I was thinking the same thing
It may just be me, but I expect the #1 prospect to throw for more than 71 yards against a good defense.

Ha! I grew up rooting for Cal and hated Stanford, but still there's no denying Luck is a great looking quarterback prospect. As for Locker...there's always the wildcat.
from now on you are disqualified from the locker-discussion as long as you havent seen some of his games in a sober condition.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I'd just hate to make the same mistake in choosing athleticism over Football IQ and mechanics.

When all is said and done, I just hope we either traded up for Luck or stood pat and drafted Ricky Stanzi.
I'd just hate to make the same mistake in choosing athleticism over Football IQ and mechanics.

When all is said and done, I just hope we either traded up for Luck or stood pat and drafted Ricky Stanzi.
locker doesnt have mechanics and football iq??? how did he make his plays? with "luck"?
i hope that locker will get an invitation to the senior bowl where he should get some pass protection and talent at wr to throw at something...then we will see, at least for some minutes, how good locker really is.
  • flow
  • Veteran

• rob28
  • Veteran
Share 49ersWebzone