There are 195 users in the forums

Locker v. Luck, The Great QB Debate

Locker v. Luck, The Great QB Debate

I'm pretty confident that Luck will declare, and he and Jake Locker form the top tier of the QB class. Mallett, Ponder, and Stanzi for the second tier but are late 1st Round - Early 2nd round talents. People may say that Mallett is in the first tier, but teams will be frightened by his lack of accuracy, character, lack of work ethic, and his "yo yo" eminem-on-stilts demeanor -- one website referred to him as a "retard with retard strength" (sorry if that offended anyone).

I think it comes down to who our coach is. If we have an offensive coach who is excellent with quarterbacks (e.g. Gruden, Brian Schottenheimer) we go with Locker. If we have a defensive-mided coach, we go with Luck.

That is because I feel that even though Luck is less experienced, he is more ready for a pro-style NFL offense and the NFL game. But if Locker gets decent coaching, he will be the next Steve Young.
I just want a qb that won't be a bust
depends what we want

luck is a smart player but is a game manager he wont throw 300 yds and 3 td games too often

locker is a great prospect good footwork excellent arm good pocket presence etc. he can be a superstar qb but also he has a chance of becoming a bust

in conclusion luck is the safe pick but locker has a much higher upside

this is just my opinion though
I haven't seen Locker(like his name) but couldn't tell you sheet about him,
but I saw Luck Absolutely blast a CB after a fumble, hit him so hard the cb fumbled as well.

So my vote is Luck. Guy is a winner.

Watching the USC game you just knew he was gonna drive them down the field and get a score, it was like when joe was back there you knew we weere gonna score with a minute left, everybody knew joe did, the other team did, the announcers, etc....

Anyway I'm not saying he's another Joe but I did get that same feeling watching that game.

[video]null[/video]

[ Edited by RMuTT1981 on Oct 9, 2010 at 23:00:47 ]
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
depends what we want

luck is a smart player but is a game manager he wont throw 300 yds and 3 td games too often

locker is a great prospect good footwork excellent arm good pocket presence etc. he can be a superstar qb but also he has a chance of becoming a bust

Agree -- that's why its dependent on who our coach is. I wouldn't let singletary touch Locker.
And for the record, I believe that the organization would prefer (if we're picking in the Top 10) to take a skill position player (CB, pleez) and take a QB in the 2nd round. Christian Ponder or Ricky Stanzi are both good options there (or in the 3rd).
Andrew Luck = NFL Ready

-Plays a sophisticated NFL-Pro WCO-vertical at a high level, and excelled fast (which is difficult for even actual NFL starting QBs).
-Exceptional footwork/drops/hitches (typical pedigree of a QB under WCO-training/philosophy).
-Incredible awareness in the pocket.
-Vocal leader.

Jake Locker = NFL Project

-Played his first 2 years out of the spread.
-Struggling in his second year under pro-system with audibles/protection adjustments.
-Is dependent of the shotgun.
-Post-snap posture slanted/jolted.

This entire debate is somewhat adjacent to the Alex Smith vs Aaron Rodgers draft argument back in 2005. One is ready to play/succeed fast in any sophisticated Pro system, while the other needs a good QB coach/OC to iron out the quirks with.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Andrew Luck = NFL Ready

-Plays a sophisticated NFL-Pro WCO-vertical at a high level, and excelled fast (which is difficult for even actual NFL starting QBs).
-Exceptional footwork/drops/hitches (typical pedigree of a QB under WCO-training/philosophy).
-Vocal leader.

-Struggling in his second year under pro-system with audibles/protection adjustments.

This entire debate is somewhat adjacent to the Alex Smith vs Aaron Rodgers draft argument back in 2005. One is ready to play/succeed fast in any sophisticated Pro system, while the other needs a good QB coach/OC to iron out the quirks with.

Yes, except that Alex had ZERO experience in a pro-style offense, and only graded out slightly better than Rodgers on physical measures. Alex played his whole career in a gimmick offense.

At least Locker has 2 years in a pro-style offense and is more of a play maker on the move.

I think Luck is the better pro prospect -- less risk.
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Andrew Luck = NFL Ready

-Vocal leader.

Yes, except that Alex had ZERO experience in a pro-style offense, and only graded out slightly better than Rodgers on physical measures. Alex played his whole career in a gimmick offense.

At least Locker has 2 years in a pro-style offense and is more of a play maker on the move.

I think Luck is the better pro prospect -- less risk.

Oh yeah, and that's been my argument as well over the past week. Luck is like the Matt Ryan or Phillip Rivers of the draft (safe-bet/NFL-ready), while Locker stands in Stafford/Bradford ect. column (will probably be drafted by a s**tty team with boom or bust potential).
Both are good players and both are better than what we have. Just different kind of players. Luck = pocket only. Locker = Steve Young. Can be in pocket and be effective and can run too.

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Both are good players and both are better than what we have. Just different kind of players. Luck = pocket only. Locker = Steve Young. Can be in pocket and be effective and can run too.

Like u said it really doesn't matter cause they both will be better than Smith, give me either and i will be happy
depends what we want

Yep, I remember when they said the same thing about Alex and Rodgers. I think this time we should go with the safe pick.
Originally posted by RMuTT1981:
I haven't seen Locker(like his name) but couldn't tell you sheet about him,
but I saw Luck Absolutely blast a CB after a fumble, hit him so hard the cb fumbled as well.

So my vote is Luck. Guy is a winner.

Watching the USC game you just knew he was gonna drive them down the field and get a score, it was like when joe was back there you knew we weere gonna score with a minute left, everybody knew joe did, the other team did, the announcers, etc....

Anyway I'm not saying he's another Joe but I did get that same feeling watching that game.

[video]null[/video]

damn he just ran through that guy
To be honest, I think Ponder will be better than either of them lol
depends what we want

why is luck the safe pick??? he is surrounded by much more talent than locker...dont get me wrong, luck is a very good prospect but locker is proven in playing with no talent, especially at the o-line. and he can run, which luck cant. ponder can it, too.
as long as our o-line isnt stabilized, we need a mobile qb and neither luck nor mallett are mobile (in terms of speed).
Share 49ersWebzone