There are 239 users in the forums

Iupati over Bulaga??? WTF

Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
My only worry with Iupati is that it may take him a while to learn the nuances of the position, and the playbook. English is a second language to him, and he's only been playing football for a few years. That being said, hes a monster. Stronger and faster than Bulaga. Much longer reach. Plus he's Samoan, so thats a whole different kind of strength.

WTF are you thinking taking Bulaga after weve taken Davis? Your plan is to move him to guard? If he were a better fit we would have drafted him, and converted him to guard. Obviously the 9ers camp thought Iupati was such a talent that we chose not to trade down for extra picks. Get on board with Iupati or go find a Green Bay fan site.

You really don't get it. When tackles fail, they move to guard. Furthermore BOTH Bulaga AND Davis were guards in college initially.

So, you ensure AT LEAST ONE can play tackle and the other reverts back to guard.

And YET my friend, Iupati was projected as one of the BEST Guards in the draft over the two of them at THAT position. Seems to me that we got the right guy.

But say THIS, say we took a project. We still have DEPTH on the Line. Two picks ensured that. We got a Tackle. And for all intents and purposes we can afford to move Staley over to RT and plug Sims back in at LT. That gives Davis some time to get it.

And then on top of this we got a Guard. We have Baas, Rachal and now Iupati.

On top of that we have a guy that could play either Guard or Center... TWO guys really with Baas and (ack brainfart forgot name) who can spell Heitmann or REPLACE him. That is DEPTH. That is something this team NEEDED. And I don't give a truck where you get depth for the Line so long as they fit the bill.

We weren't trading down out of 13 with so many teams(if you include Miami) wanting to move. I don't include Miami cause I know they were looking for a Lineman. They went Defensive Lineman instead. That lone Miami fan sure was happy tho, wasn't he?

And trading up 3 spots was a pretty smart move given what we know about how quickly Miami pulled the trigger on the trade.

IF, If that was our team pulling the trigger on that trade fans would be up in arms as to how quickly they did it. I don't think 2 minutes passed before BAM! Trade.

Yaaaaaay Team(Miami)... oooooh waitaminnit what just happened

You tell me how you well you would have handled that if it were 4949 making that trade THAT quickly. I bet I already know the answer. But I think you'll say otherwise just to prolong the pain. All good though. I like reliving this right now.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Nick, you are unbelievable! The Niners take the Outland Trophy winner at his natural position and you say WTF? By the way, nice prediction on Brandon Graham falling out of the first round, too. Only missed that prediction by 19 picks............

Yeah, missed that one. But some people missed on other picks, like Dan Williams and Kyle Wilson Falling. Or people that had Bulaga at #5.

You do that a lot.........
My only worry with Iupati is that it may take him a while to learn the nuances of the position, and the playbook. English is a second language to him, and he's only been playing football for a few years. That being said, hes a monster. Stronger and faster than Bulaga. Much longer reach. Plus he's Samoan, so thats a whole different kind of strength.

WTF are you thinking taking Bulaga after weve taken Davis? Your plan is to move him to guard? If he were a better fit we would have drafted him, and converted him to guard. Obviously the 9ers camp thought Iupati was such a talent that we chose not to trade down for extra picks. Get on board with Iupati or go find a Green Bay fan site.

You really don't get it. When tackles fail, they move to guard. Furthermore BOTH Bulaga AND Davis were guards in college initially.

So, you ensure AT LEAST ONE can play tackle and the other reverts back to guard.

Drafting 50 tackles doesn't ensure that any of them can play tackle. From what I read Iupati is every bit the athlete that Bulaga is and has the athleticism to play tackle but isn't comfortable enough to move out there yet since he's still very new to football. I'd rather draft a guy who doesn't have to change positions then draft two guys who play a different position and planning on at least one of them failing.
Baluga is as good as he is going to get-Didn't you watch espn when graham was selected, even all the draft guides talked about it. Graham manhandled him. He is also a person who gets caught leaning to much (foward, left, right). Plus baluga has short arms is one of the cententions. Then there is the thyroid condition, though treated-who is to say it won't affect him in the future. Taking meds for that can affect your ability at times as all meds do.

Plus both Iupati and Davis are 10-15 pounds heavier and an inch shorter meaning, they pack more pounds per inch when they whap somebody. Both are nastier than Baluga. Singletary still wants to run it down the throat. Baluga is considered more finess of the three.

Davis is scary because of his attitude problem, but if he can put his mind to it he can dominate, some said it was because of the level of competition that sometimes he would take off plays, but you know that attitude problem ain't gonna last long with Singletary, just ask the other Davis (vernon).

Iupati-level of competition-Boise State ain't patsies-just ask the teams they beaten in the Bowl games.

Plus Sanoma State had as you put it Patsies, but it didn't stop Larry Allen from becoming a pro bowl guard.

The only thing I was surprised at at first was trading up, they traded up so fast into Denvers pick, until the fins got out of there so fast then I figured they or if not somebody else might have wanted to take Davis and the niners got wind of it. Maybe in dealing with tuna for Ginn accidently found out that the fins might be interested in Davis if they another player they wanted was gone?

So DB all the way for day two.
there is always one.
They did the right thing. Pittsburgh was right behind us and they picked Pouncey instead of Bulaga. WTF? They were going to take Iupati if we didn't. They must be stupid too.

Unfortuantely, these two guys are going to be stupid rookies next year so let's keep some perspective here. But I'll tell you what, in a year or two we are going to have one hell of an offensive line.

We have to take a fast CB tomorrow. We can't go into the season with Spencer, Clements, Brown, Paymah, and Keith Smith. The Vikings let Paymah go and CB is their #1 need. Smith shouldn't be on the team. We have three legitmate NFL corners. We better take a RB in the third. We draft these two big thumpers up fornt then if Frank goes down we're left with Coffee and Robinson and back to Square One.

I think you just answered what happens to V Carey if Miami got Davis.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by Ceadderman:

And YET my friend, Iupati was projected as one of the BEST Guards in the draft over the two of them at THAT position. Seems to me that we got the right guy.

But say THIS, say we took a project. We still have DEPTH on the Line. Two picks ensured that. We got a Tackle. And for all intents and purposes we can afford to move Staley over to RT and plug Sims back in at LT. That gives Davis some time to get it.

On top of that we have a guy that could play either Guard or Center... TWO guys really with Baas and (ack brainfart forgot name) who can spell Heitmann or REPLACE him. That is DEPTH. That is something this team NEEDED. And I don't give a truck where you get depth for the Line so long as they fit the bill.

We weren't trading down out of 13 with so many teams(if you include Miami) wanting to move. I don't include Miami cause I know they were looking for a Lineman. They went Defensive Lineman instead. That lone Miami fan sure was happy tho, wasn't he?

And trading up 3 spots was a pretty smart move given what we know about how quickly Miami pulled the trigger on the trade.

IF, If that was our team pulling the trigger on that trade fans would be up in arms as to how quickly they did it. I don't think 2 minutes passed before BAM! Trade.

You tell me how you well you would have handled that if it were 4949 making that trade THAT quickly. I bet I already know the answer. But I think you'll say otherwise just to prolong the pain. All good though. I like reliving this right now.

~Ceadder

OK, you do know it was Denver that traded with us. Miami traded with San Diego.
If you're really worried about Davis busting, remember that Iupati has just as much ability to move to RT as Bulaga would to LG. Drafting a guy only to move him from his natural spot is always risky. And the 9ers haven't have much success doing that either.
BTW from the sources I read Baluga is a converted TE and his technique in pass protection is poor. As I said, he gets caught leaning and that is only at the college level.

Also Iupati is said to be the best guard propect in years.

THIS IS NOT MADDEN! CHANGING A T to a G doesn't make him a higher rated player or any better at the position!!!
  • bret
  • Veteran
I keep remembering 2005 when we had Logan Mankins on our card when New England snatched him out from under us - and we ended up with David Baas. That's the same David Baas who is on the hot-seat now with Iupati coming to town!

I trust that the Niner's brass understood that someone was likely to trade up (if they didn't) to get Davis; after all, Denver made no secret of the fact they were looking to trade down. And pick 11 is a great spot for the trades to start because the price doesn't have the premium that top 10 picks have - either in bonus to the player or in draft value chart to simply get the pick! It's obvious Bulaga wasn't on their radar (and that's a good thing in my book - it's about upside). And the expectation was that 4 tackles could be off the board in the top 10. In actual fact, only 2 were. And Davis has the top upside of any tackle in the draft!

I'm super-excited!
Originally posted by ninerlifer:

~Ceadder

Okay now STOP the insanity. Yes I know we traded with Denver. Even though Goodell didn't.

BUT Soon as he announced OUR pick he announced MIAMI'S TRADE right after and it hadda be within 2 minutes after us.

So hell yes I know we traded with Denver. I was kind of shocked they traded out so quickly too but hey I think we got the better end of that deal. I don't think Davis is HoF material at all. But I think that he's damn solid.

I'm just pointing out that as quickly as Miami traded out gives 9er fans a reason to enjoy this move. If Miami didn't want Davis then they really gaffed making the trade so quickly. I think Denver's main guy got away and they decided to take our deal as it gave them another 2nd day pick tho. Fine with me we had two firsts and could afford to lose one of the three at our disposal if we wanted to.

~Ceadder
Iupati is straight up NASTY. Glad we landed him.
Originally posted by ninerlifer:

~Ceadder

Okay now STOP the insanity. Yes I know we traded with Denver. Even though Goodell didn't.

BUT Soon as he announced OUR pick he announced MIAMI'S TRADE right after and it hadda be within 2 minutes after us.

So hell yes I know we traded with Denver. I was kind of shocked they traded out so quickly too but hey I think we got the better end of that deal. I don't think Davis is HoF material at all. But I think that he's damn solid.

I'm just pointing out that as quickly as Miami traded out gives 9er fans a reason to enjoy this move. If Miami didn't want Davis then they really gaffed making the trade so quickly. I think Denver's main guy got away and they decided to take our deal as it gave them another 2nd day pick tho. Fine with me we had two firsts and could afford to lose one of the three at our disposal if we wanted to.

~Ceadder

Share 49ersWebzone