Originally posted by DesiDez:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by mayo63:
They say, sometimes the best moves are the ones you DON'T make. The smart move would be to sit tight, grab two impact players at #13 and #17 and continue to build this team into a SB contender. To gamble again on a 1st round QB that many experts aren't completely sold on would just be repeating the Alex Smith mistake. This team is not in rebuilding mode anymore where we have 2-3 years to wait for a rookie QB to possibly develop...we're in the hunt for a division title and playoff spot THIS YEAR. We're on the cusp of returning this franchise to prominence, and people are talking about gambling with a 1st round QB?

Unbelievable.

Over the last few years, teams like Chicago, Washington, Houston and KC have been able to make upgrades to their QB position by trading for proven veterans...we can do the same if we're willing to be shrewd about it.

Question is, how shrewd is our front office? Are they really willing to go down that high draft pick rookie QB path again, given how close this team is?

so what happens if Alex fails next year?

Then draft Locker or Luck next year, but not Clausen.

You really think the 49ers are going to be in position to draft that high next year? Because if those guys are so good, they'll go top 5.

Between Locker, Mallet, Luck and Devlin, someone good will very likely be available if Alex Smith falters this year.

I hope those guys pan out.....They were saying what a great QB class '10 was going to be with Bradford, Clausen, McCoy, and Tebow.

I'd take any of those guys over Clausen any day of the week.

I'd take a chance with Clausen over Alex Smith any day of the week.

yah same here
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
They say, sometimes the best moves are the ones you DON'T make. The smart move would be to sit tight, grab two impact players at #13 and #17 and continue to build this team into a SB contender. To gamble again on a 1st round QB that many experts aren't completely sold on would just be repeating the Alex Smith mistake. This team is not in rebuilding mode anymore where we have 2-3 years to wait for a rookie QB to possibly develop...we're in the hunt for a division title and playoff spot THIS YEAR. We're on the cusp of returning this franchise to prominence, and people are talking about gambling with a 1st round QB?

Unbelievable.

Over the last few years, teams like Chicago, Washington, Houston and KC have been able to make upgrades to their QB position by trading for proven veterans...we can do the same if we're willing to be shrewd about it.

Question is, how shrewd is our front office? Are they really willing to go down that high draft pick rookie QB path again, given how close this team is?

Take a QB in the deepest QB class since 1999...or 1983.

who are the top dog's for next year draft anyways?

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=140490&highlight=nickbradley

Potential First Round Prospects:

Andrew Luck, Stanford
Ryan Mallett, Arkansas
Jake Locker, Washington
Terrelle Pryor, Ohio State
Pat Devlin, Delaware
Nick Foles, Arizona

Some have called Andy Luck the best NFL QB prospect since Peyton Manning (and as smart and polished), and Mallett (6-7, 250 jeff george-caliber arm) may be a once-a-decade type prospect as well...and Jake Locker is no slouch (Neither is Devlin, and Pryor could light up the combine like we've never seen). We could see 5 or 6 QB go in the first round next year...maybe seven.

Again, I'm not in the want-Clausen camp, but not one of those guys listed has anywhere near the production he had last year. Just measurables. I heard the same things last year about Jevan Snead and look how that ended up. This whole "the guys next year are better so wait" is just stupid because no one knows how good they'll be and if they're available at our pick. Personally this team would be best off with an average vet QB like the Titans had built their team 2 years ago.

Unbelievable.

You really think the 49ers are going to be in position to draft that high next year? Because if those guys are so good, they'll go top 5.

Between Locker, Mallet, Luck and Devlin, someone good will very likely be available if Alex Smith falters this year.

I hope those guys pan out.....They were saying what a great QB class '10 was going to be with Bradford, Clausen, McCoy, and Tebow.

Yea...you'd take a rookie over a guy with years of NFL experience who has shown improvement whenever he has been healthy.
Originally posted by Byisgod:

Unbelievable.

Yea...you'd take a rookie over a guy with years of NFL experience who has shown improvement whenever he has been healthy.

Did I stutter?

Unbelievable.

Exactly, even Jevan Snead was peeking his head into that elite column at one point. There's no chance that last year's top college talent will even be in the first round after next year.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by fly15:
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Say we actually draft Clausen, what will your reaction be?

Depends on where we took him

Here are my possible reactions:

- If we traded up for him: angry

- If we took him at #13: content

- If we took him at #17: mildly excited

Question; Would you have been "angry" if they would have moved up to grap Sanchez at #5?

NO to hotdog Sanchez!!! i rather have Nate Davis....

WTF has Nate Davis ever done for you to even say that.

Ohhhhhh susy... dont get irritated dude, i keep forgetting you want Alex to keep developing
WTF has Alex done for you??????
Originally posted by dj43:

Unbelievable.

I don't disagree with your thinking. My concern is that I don't allow the fact I made a mistake in the past to prevent me from making a move that will secure the future.

While I admit to not having enough time to fully evaluate Clausen, I do believe he is MUCH more pro-ready than was Smith. In fact, Clausen might be more ready to operate out of the I-formation right now than is Smith. That is not to say I would start him over Smith, rather it is just to say picking Clausen now is quite a bit different that drafting Smith who hadn't played in the I.

My concern, as I noted above is; what happens if Smith makes a modest improvement again this year but is still clearly not the answer? How long will it take to get another shot at a quality QB?

I don't like the answer to either of those questions.

I think you're right in that Clausen is more pro-ready than was Smith coming out (primarily because of the systems they ran). But that doesn't necessarily mean he's more talented, has a bigger arm, has better escapability or can lead a team any better than Smith can. So in terms of those talents, I see them as being fairly equal.

So to use those picks to grab Clausen, IMO, doesn't really amount to an upgrade (with Clausen actually being shorter and probably not quite as mobile).

Again, if Alex falters, there's no reason we can't be aggressive in trading for a veteran QB in 2011...teams that want to do it, do it every year and it's getting cheaper and cheaper (as we've seen). Along with grabbing that veteran QB as the immediate starter, we can then draft a rookie QB and groom to be the long-term answer.

If Clausen was the real deal, I'd be right there with you. I just don't see it with him, and believe it would be a HUGE mistake to trade those picks to get him.

Unbelievable.

We always think the grass is greener....just watch what happens when Clausen takes his first NFL snaps. He'll look like Smith did in 2005. Trust me, it will take Clausen (a true junior) years to get his feet under him in the NFL....and to give up 2 first rounders for him knowing this team is pretty close...just can't see it.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Apr 20, 2010 at 2:56 PM ]
I believe in Nate Davis. However, if we can nab a lower 1st and add a 2nd in this draft for another player, then I'm all for it.

However, this year, I'm sure 2nd rounders are valued higher by most teams than in the past and that type of "standard points for points" trade would not happen this year.
Now, if we grabbed an OT at #13 and Clausen was still sitting there at #17, I wouldn't be completely upset if we took him with that second 1st rounder. I would understand that move...I wouldn't like it all that much, but I would understand.

Question; Would you have been "angry" if they would have moved up to grap Sanchez at #5?

Ohhhhhh susy... dont get irritated dude, i keep forgetting you want Alex to keep developing

Personally, I'd definitely take this chance cause from a coaching standpoint Clausen's physical mechanics/pocket poise on game/practice-tape look far better than Alex could ever achieve.

And unlike Alex Smith coming out of Utah in 2005, Clausen WON'T be coming out of a gimmick college offense, but an NFL-ready Charlie Weis system (adjacent to the one which brought Tom Brady up in New England).

Alex, your crazy. I hate alex smith
Now, if we grabbed an OT at #13 and Clausen was still sitting there at #17, I wouldn't be completely upset if we took him with that second 1st rounder. I would understand that move...I wouldn't like it all that much, but I would understand.

I would still....

I'm convincing myself that this is all smokescreen to see what value we can get for either pick #13 or #17. I'd be level 5 pissed if we drafted Clausen, I see absolutely no sense in it what-so-ever.

Unbelievable.

We always think the grass is greener....just watch what happens when Clausen takes his first NFL snaps. He'll look like Smith did in 2005. Trust me, it will take Clausen (a true junior) years to get his feet under him in the NFL....and to give up 2 first rounders for him knowing this team is pretty close...just can't see it.

Just a reality check folks. Andrew Luck was a redshirt freshman this year with 3 years of eligibility left. I think it is probably more likely that he would not enter the draft until 2012 at the earliest.