LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 308 users in the forums

The Clausen Propaganda Machine is Going Into Overdrive

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
They say, sometimes the best moves are the ones you DON'T make. The smart move would be to sit tight, grab two impact players at #13 and #17 and continue to build this team into a SB contender. To gamble again on a 1st round QB that many experts aren't completely sold on would just be repeating the Alex Smith mistake. This team is not in rebuilding mode anymore where we have 2-3 years to wait for a rookie QB to possibly develop...we're in the hunt for a division title and playoff spot THIS YEAR. We're on the cusp of returning this franchise to prominence, and people are talking about gambling with a 1st round QB?

Unbelievable.

Over the last few years, teams like Chicago, Washington, Houston and KC have been able to make upgrades to their QB position by trading for proven veterans...we can do the same if we're willing to be shrewd about it.

Question is, how shrewd is our front office? Are they really willing to go down that high draft pick rookie QB path again, given how close this team is?

1000% agree.
Originally posted by DesiDez:
They say, sometimes the best moves are the ones you DON'T make. The smart move would be to sit tight, grab two impact players at #13 and #17 and continue to build this team into a SB contender. To gamble again on a 1st round QB that many experts aren't completely sold on would just be repeating the Alex Smith mistake. This team is not in rebuilding mode anymore where we have 2-3 years to wait for a rookie QB to possibly develop...we're in the hunt for a division title and playoff spot THIS YEAR. We're on the cusp of returning this franchise to prominence, and people are talking about gambling with a 1st round QB?

Unbelievable.

Over the last few years, teams like Chicago, Washington, Houston and KC have been able to make upgrades to their QB position by trading for proven veterans...we can do the same if we're willing to be shrewd about it.

Question is, how shrewd is our front office? Are they really willing to go down that high draft pick rookie QB path again, given how close this team is?

so what happens if Alex fails next year?

You see what Nate Davis can do in the latter part of the 2010 season...if he ends up being useless, you:

1.) Aggresively trade for a veteran QB to immediately take over for the 2011 season...

AND

2.) You draft a rookie as the eventual franchise QB
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Apr 20, 2010 at 2:33 PM ]
Originally posted by nickbradley:

Unbelievable.

Take a QB in the deepest QB class since 1999...or 1983.

who are the top dog's for next year draft anyways?
  • JDog
  • Veteran
I thought there was a big ado about the small size of Clausen's hands? Heard on NFLN that he had the smallest ever ?

Does anyone here have more info?

This was always a know on Smith also.
Originally posted by mayo63:

Unbelievable.

Then draft Locker or Luck next year, but not Clausen.

You really think the 49ers are going to be in position to draft that high next year? Because if those guys are so good, they'll go top 5.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
10-1 (according to Tim K's scenario) We'll be trading our #13 + #17 to Cleveland for their #7 + #38.

With those picks we'd be drafting Jimmy Clausin (of course), and possibly Charles Brown from USC in the 2nd round, if did that, that be f**king awesome.

This is why Scot traded down the 2nd last season with Carolina, for either combing both to move up for a high-pick talent in this year's draft, or trade one of them back. I just don't honestly think the 49ers expected to land 2 picks between the 10-20 spot, so now they seriously have to conjure the salary issue, and the WHAT-IF one of them holds out again, since this might be the last year of the rookie salary cap? Seriously.

New Owner + new coach usually = new QB. You do the math, this scenario was long overdue.

Why trade up for him? You scared the Bills will take him at 9?
  • dj43
I don't have a crystal ball with which to see Clausen. However, the basic strategy Tim K suggests is a good one; if you are not certain your current QB is the long-term guy, then the ammo you have with 13 & 17 is enough to get the guy who WILL be the long term guy.

Over the years, franchise QBs are taken very high in the draft. Yes, there are some exceptions but they are just that; exceptions.

I have long suggested Smith should get a chance behind a solid line, with targets to throw to, and an OC that is the same from one year to the next. Well, he had that last year, and was better than in the past but I am not convinced he is the long-term answer...yet. He may prove to be, however, as I sit here right now, if I WERE convinced that Clausen was the guy, and I'm not saying he isn't, then I would pull the trigger and make certain I have the future franchise QB. Smith had a fair chance last year but I don't think even Singletary is convinced yet that he is the long-term solution.

Chances like this do not come around often. The Carolina deal last year gave the 49ers the ammo to get the one premium guy they need to secure the future.

If I am Baalke, I talk to some clubs drafting in the top 7, and see if they are willing to deal on draft day. If they are, I sit tight to see what happens to the top OTs. If all three of the big names go early, I make the deal for Clausen and get a 2nd in exchange and then go for the second tier OT in the second round. The 49ers don't need to spend LT value for a RT. Trading up for a RT is NOT a good value but it would be for a QB that they think is the future.

One way or the other, Smith will be the QB for 2010. The question is; if Smith leaves after 2010, for whatever reason, would you be confident with David Carr and Nate Davis as the potential starters for 2011, OR would you prefer to have Jimmy Clausen in the mix. REMEMBER, all this assumes they get the RT they need in the second round, which I believe is doable.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Say we actually draft Clausen, what will your reaction be?

Depends on where we took him

Here are my possible reactions:

- If we traded up for him: angry

- If we took him at #13: content

- If we took him at #17: mildly excited

Question; Would you have been "angry" if they would have moved up to grap Sanchez at #5?

Sanchez f**kin sucks dude. He had 20 INTs and only 2400 yards behind maybe the best OLine in the NFL, with 2 good RBs, and 2 former pro bowlers at wide out, and a 1st/2nd round TE. I'm sure he'll get better but I didn't want him and the jets made the playoffs inspite of him rather than because of him.

And Alex Smith is an all-star right, DUDE? I agree that his numbers weren't great, but the guy was in his rookie year! At least he threw more than 1 touchdown in his rookie year.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TX9R:

Unbelievable.

I'm more worried about ending up with a Phillip Rivers - Drew Brees scenario...giving up on a young QB one year too early.

You would be worried about solving the most important position on the field with 2 perrenial pro bowlers?

Its the only position on the field where one guy can play. If they passed on Eli/Rivers ion '04, they could have taken Larry Fitzgerald.

Hindsight, they also could have picked any number of busts. They didn't dick around, they knew you need a QB to win, so they kept at it until they got one and happened to get two. I'm not saying at all Clausen is the answer, but by no means did SD make a mistake by hedging their bets. Had Brees not been damaged goods they could have gotten a nice trade out of the deal. Green Bay had a similar situation and now they will contend for the next decade for being smart. Conversely Houston hung on to Carr way too long and are just now getting past that mistake.

Unbelievable.

You really think the 49ers are going to be in position to draft that high next year? Because if those guys are so good, they'll go top 5.

Between Locker, Mallet, Luck and Devlin, someone good will very likely be available if Alex Smith falters this year.

10-1 (according to Tim K's scenario) We'll be trading our #13 + #17 to Cleveland for their #7 + #38.

With those picks we'd be drafting Jimmy Clausin (of course), and possibly Charles Brown from USC in the 2nd round, if did that, that be f**king awesome.

This is why Scot traded down the 2nd last season with Carolina, for either combing both to move up for a high-pick talent in this year's draft, or trade one of them back. I just don't honestly think the 49ers expected to land 2 picks between the 10-20 spot, so now they seriously have to conjure the salary issue, and the WHAT-IF one of them holds out again, since this might be the last year of the rookie salary cap? Seriously.

New Owner + new coach usually = new QB. You do the math, this scenario was long overdue.

Yes; new regimes = new quarterbacks.

Now, I do like that scenario but I don't think Brown will be there. What I like even better is if we took Clausen at 13 and Davis at 17!
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

Unbelievable.

If Alex tanks we'll probably be picking high next year.
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:

Unbelievable.

Take a QB in the deepest QB class since 1999...or 1983.

who are the top dog's for next year draft anyways?

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=140490&highlight=nickbradley

Potential First Round Prospects:

Andrew Luck, Stanford
Ryan Mallett, Arkansas
Jake Locker, Washington
Terrelle Pryor, Ohio State
Pat Devlin, Delaware
Nick Foles, Arizona

Some have called Andy Luck the best NFL QB prospect since Peyton Manning (and as smart and polished), and Mallett (6-7, 250 jeff george-caliber arm) may be a once-a-decade type prospect as well...and Jake Locker is no slouch (Neither is Devlin, and Pryor could light up the combine like we've never seen). We could see 5 or 6 QB go in the first round next year...maybe seven.

Why trade up for him? You scared the Bills will take him at 9?

It's not about who will take him, it's about who will trade him out (to possibly the Vikings, or a 3-way deal) before the #13 spot.

This is why the 49ers are willing to sell the house to move up to #7 cause I'm 100% sure Holmgren is going to trade that spot out to the highest bidder (cause 1. Mike doesn't like 1st round QBs, and 2. the Bill Walsh Blood runs thick within him).

Unbelievable.

Between Locker, Mallet, Luck and Devlin, someone good will very likely be available if Alex Smith falters this year.

I hope those guys pan out.....They were saying what a great QB class '10 was going to be with Bradford, Clausen, McCoy, and Tebow.
Share 49ersWebzone