LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 338 users in the forums

Anthony Davis

Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by excelsior:
It seems to me that picks in the top half of the first round are for exceptional talents with very low risk of failure. The bottom half of the first round is where you start going after exceptional talents that have higher risk. If Davis has a risk of being too unmotivated, you do not draft him this early.

Remember Kwame Harris? He was rated a top 10 to 15 talent by many, but he never seemed to produce at a sufficient level in pass protection. Too many people who should know simply failed to properly evaluate him. What was his problem? I am nothing but a poor amateur, but he seemed slow-footed and lacked fire. He would hang his head after every holding penalty or blown pass protection as if he was demoralized.

Davis has been a much better player in college than Kwame was.

The question is, which player would you rather have? Davis or Brown?

Davis is perfect for what we want in a right tackle, and we would have to accommodate our offense for Brown because he is not a mauler.

I have never seen an O-lineman get knocked on their backside as much as Kwame did.
I can't imagine the same thing happening to Davis, he is a much more powerfully built man than Kwame.

Good question and a hard one to answer. Both have a lot of upside but both also have a lot of bust factors. I do think Davis is more NFL ready than Brown but I think Brown is a bit of a safer pick even though he may a year away from starting in the NFL and he also has big upside to him. I'd probably lean towards taking Davis just because I think he would be a better fit at RT than Brown but I wouldn't complain if we got either but I also wouldn't be all that crazy if we took either. I wish somehow we could get Trent Williams at 13 or move up a few spots to get him and then at 17 go best player available and hopefully take Brandon Graham.

Davis has better overall technique than Brown imo. Plus getting Brown would mean moving Staley to the right side and Staley isn't a good run blocker or a mauler type of lineman. They need a guy with a mean streak and a attitude.
Woot woot
Originally posted by lamontb:
It seems to me that picks in the top half of the first round are for exceptional talents with very low risk of failure. The bottom half of the first round is where you start going after exceptional talents that have higher risk. If Davis has a risk of being too unmotivated, you do not draft him this early.

Remember Kwame Harris? He was rated a top 10 to 15 talent by many, but he never seemed to produce at a sufficient level in pass protection. Too many people who should know simply failed to properly evaluate him. What was his problem? I am nothing but a poor amateur, but he seemed slow-footed and lacked fire. He would hang his head after every holding penalty or blown pass protection as if he was demoralized.

Davis is perfect for what we want in a right tackle, and we would have to accommodate our offense for Brown because he is not a mauler.

I have never seen an O-lineman get knocked on their backside as much as Kwame did.
I can't imagine the same thing happening to Davis, he is a much more powerfully built man than Kwame.

Good question and a hard one to answer. Both have a lot of upside but both also have a lot of bust factors. I do think Davis is more NFL ready than Brown but I think Brown is a bit of a safer pick even though he may a year away from starting in the NFL and he also has big upside to him. I'd probably lean towards taking Davis just because I think he would be a better fit at RT than Brown but I wouldn't complain if we got either but I also wouldn't be all that crazy if we took either. I wish somehow we could get Trent Williams at 13 or move up a few spots to get him and then at 17 go best player available and hopefully take Brandon Graham.

Davis has better overall technique than Brown imo. Plus getting Brown would mean moving Staley to the right side and Staley isn't a good run blocker or a mauler type of lineman. They need a guy with a mean streak and a attitude.

Well it does seem like they do want to move Staley to RT and in Mike Solari's new zone blocking scheme you don't necessarily need a big mauler at RT and more importantly need someone who moves well as does Staley. Plus Staley is a real good run blocker. When Sims came in last yr to take over Staley he did just as good a job of pass protecting but there was a big dropoff in the run blocking and when Staley came back u could see Gore running behind him and getting more yards.
Someone please PM on how to lose this Rams sig. Even when I click on no signatures it keeps showing up.

First of all Staley played well at RT as a rookie so we know he can play there and second of all why would we have to move him to RT anyways?

Well it does seem like they do want to move Staley to RT and in Mike Solari's new zone blocking scheme you don't necessarily need a big mauler at RT and more importantly need someone who moves well as does Staley. Plus Staley is a real good run blocker. When Sims came in last yr to take over Staley he did just as good a job of pass protecting but there was a big dropoff in the run blocking and when Staley came back u could see Gore running behind him and getting more yards.

Cool on the 1st part but I disagree about Staley being a good run blocker. He gets little to know push and seems like b/c of that they rarely run to that. I'll peep him more to see if I'm wrong but to me he's barely average as a run blocker. Brown kinda reminds me of Staley great in pass protection but just not aggressive enough in his run blocking to be effective. Like joke Thomas and Ryan Clady move folks out the way big time I just don't see that in Staley at all.

Someone please PM on how to lose this Rams sig. Even when I click on no signatures it keeps showing up.

i think it's a april's fool joke we are all stuck with them til tomorrow i got the dam raiders but if you figure out to get rid of them let me know

Maybe Matt Millen knows how to remove it?
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I got a feeling if Williams or Bulaga are not there, Davis is going to be the pick.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo63:
I got a feeling if Williams or Bulaga are not there, Davis is going to be the pick.

I feel the same way.

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Schulzy:
Originally posted by mayo63:

I feel the same way.

yah
Posted in Pro Days thread as well.

Offensive tackle Anthony Davis, a projected first-round pick who didn’t work out at his school’s pro day last month, held a private workout for 11 NFL teams on Tuesday.

Sources who attended the workout told me he was impressive in positional drills. He weighed 328 pounds but the source said he appeared very light on his feet. It was a workout scouts needed to see.

Davis failed to show up at Rutgers’ pro day on March 10. His agent told me that Davis was suffering from a sore hamstring and a stomach virus. Whatever the reason, his absence didn’t go over well. He had scouts coming from all over the country and he didn’t show.

He’s got a ton of potential and talent but there are some red flags. He’s got to understand that football needs to be important in his life.

With all that said, I could see him landing in the top 10 picks, maybe even to the Raiders at No. 8
  • LA49erFan4ever
  • Info N/A
especially at 13.....F*** the draft...i just read the article about singletary meeting with davis and how passing up on davis with the 13 pick is hard..im pretty sure if we pick davis at 13 then that means earl thomas at 17..if we do pick davis atleast pick him at 17..
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
look 2 topics below noob http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=139549
  • LA49erFan4ever
  • Info N/A
im talking specifically at pick 13
Share 49ersWebzone