There are 362 users in the forums

Anthony Davis

Originally posted by teeohh:
I wouldn't be surprised if he goes top 10. Barrows brings up a good point of whether he's only fallen down media draft boards or teams boards as well. We will see!

Look what happened with Andre Smith last year. He fell down all the media's draft boards and went #5 when the teams actually picked.
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by teeohh:
I wouldn't be surprised if he goes top 10. Barrows brings up a good point of whether he's only fallen down media draft boards or teams boards as well. We will see!

Look what happened with Andre Smith last year. He fell down all the media's draft boards and went #5 when the teams actually picked.

He went #6 and went to a team (Cincinnati) who could care less about character or work ethic. That being said, I think Anthony Davis could very well go to another team who doesen't care or value character or work ethic and that is the Oakland Raiders at #8
i would mind using a 2nd if all the other top tier OT's are gone.
Right now, I trust the scouting Dept. to Vet Mr.Davis as to any of his "issues'. Then we'll see if he's the one they get.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by excelsior:
It seems to me that picks in the top half of the first round are for exceptional talents with very low risk of failure. The bottom half of the first round is where you start going after exceptional talents that have higher risk. If Davis has a risk of being too unmotivated, you do not draft him this early.

Remember Kwame Harris? He was rated a top 10 to 15 talent by many, but he never seemed to produce at a sufficient level in pass protection. Too many people who should know simply failed to properly evaluate him. What was his problem? I am nothing but a poor amateur, but he seemed slow-footed and lacked fire. He would hang his head after every holding penalty or blown pass protection as if he was demoralized.

Davis has been a much better player in college than Kwame was.

The question is, which player would you rather have? Davis or Brown?

Davis is perfect for what we want in a right tackle, and we would have to accommodate our offense for Brown because he is not a mauler.

I have never seen an O-lineman get knocked on their backside as much as Kwame did.
I can't imagine the same thing happening to Davis, he is a much more powerfully built man than Kwame.

Good question and a hard one to answer. Both have a lot of upside but both also have a lot of bust factors. I do think Davis is more NFL ready than Brown but I think Brown is a bit of a safer pick even though he may a year away from starting in the NFL and he also has big upside to him. I'd probably lean towards taking Davis just because I think he would be a better fit at RT than Brown but I wouldn't complain if we got either but I also wouldn't be all that crazy if we took either. I wish somehow we could get Trent Williams at 13 or move up a few spots to get him and then at 17 go best player available and hopefully take Brandon Graham.

Davis has better overall technique than Brown imo. Plus getting Brown would mean moving Staley to the right side and Staley isn't a good run blocker or a mauler type of lineman. They need a guy with a mean streak and a attitude.

First of all Staley played well at RT as a rookie so we know he can play there and second of all why would we have to move him to RT anyways?

They would move him to RT if they drafted Brown b/c Brown can't play RT.

Brown CAN play right tackle and a lot of people expect that will be his most natural position in the NFL.

With time maybe, but his skinny rear is not what we need there this next season. Having Brown @RT this year would be a friken disaster imo. Not only would our oline be a liability in Pass Pro, but our run game would suck too........
Originally posted by WINiner:
It seems to me that picks in the top half of the first round are for exceptional talents with very low risk of failure. The bottom half of the first round is where you start going after exceptional talents that have higher risk. If Davis has a risk of being too unmotivated, you do not draft him this early.

Remember Kwame Harris? He was rated a top 10 to 15 talent by many, but he never seemed to produce at a sufficient level in pass protection. Too many people who should know simply failed to properly evaluate him. What was his problem? I am nothing but a poor amateur, but he seemed slow-footed and lacked fire. He would hang his head after every holding penalty or blown pass protection as if he was demoralized.

Davis is perfect for what we want in a right tackle, and we would have to accommodate our offense for Brown because he is not a mauler.

I have never seen an O-lineman get knocked on their backside as much as Kwame did.
I can't imagine the same thing happening to Davis, he is a much more powerfully built man than Kwame.

Good question and a hard one to answer. Both have a lot of upside but both also have a lot of bust factors. I do think Davis is more NFL ready than Brown but I think Brown is a bit of a safer pick even though he may a year away from starting in the NFL and he also has big upside to him. I'd probably lean towards taking Davis just because I think he would be a better fit at RT than Brown but I wouldn't complain if we got either but I also wouldn't be all that crazy if we took either. I wish somehow we could get Trent Williams at 13 or move up a few spots to get him and then at 17 go best player available and hopefully take Brandon Graham.

Davis has better overall technique than Brown imo. Plus getting Brown would mean moving Staley to the right side and Staley isn't a good run blocker or a mauler type of lineman. They need a guy with a mean streak and a attitude.

First of all Staley played well at RT as a rookie so we know he can play there and second of all why would we have to move him to RT anyways?

Brown CAN play right tackle and a lot of people expect that will be his most natural position in the NFL.

With time maybe, but his skinny rear is not what we need there this next season. Having Brown @RT this year would be a friken disaster imo. Not only would our oline be a liability in Pass Pro, but our run game would suck too........

Run game yes, Pass game no. Brown's forte is pass blocking. I do agree with you on rushing game though.

6'5" 305 is exactly the size Michael Oher played at last year.

6'5" 305 is exactly the size Michael Oher played at last year.

Measurables mean squat in this case. Oher always played with more physicality and nastiness than Brown. The two could hardly be more different in terms of playing style.

Brown is an athletic finesse blocker at this point. He has the frame to add muscle and become a mauler, but he's not one at this point. Hence he projects better to LT in the NFL. I don't see why you're fighting this so much.
I see some of you haven't got it yet that OL Coach Solari's not looking for maulers as much as he is guys who're light on their feet and can do many things well. You can have size yet still be highly mobile...and let's face it, our recent OL's haven't been very mobile. Big as guys like Davis and Iupati are, they can both move really well. Even Alex Boone has gotten the message...get into better shape, shed some excess lbs so he can be more mobile and versatile. It's guys like Baas, Snyder and maybe even Rachal who need to be concerned about their jobs...because they don't necessarily fit the kind of OL Solari's looking for.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Talentwise, Davis is top 10-15. His work ethic and what not are probably way overblown and you know Singletary and Solari will be pushing him.

Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I see some of you haven't got it yet that OL Coach Solari's not looking for maulers as much as he is guys who're light on their feet and can do many things well. You can have size yet still be highly mobile...and let's face it, our recent OL's haven't been very mobile. Big as guys like Davis and Iupati are, they can both move really well. Even Alex Boone has gotten the message...get into better shape, shed some excess lbs so he can be more mobile and versatile. It's guys like Baas, Snyder and maybe even Rachal who need to be concerned about their jobs...because they don't necessarily fit the kind of OL Solari's looking for.

Good post, just a few thoughts:

Solari may not be the size queen McCloughan was, but he will emphasize run blocking if Sing tells him he wants to build a power running game. Particularly at RT & OG.

So when I say we may not like Brown at RT because he's not a mauler, I am referring more to his playing style and run blocking ability than his measurables or mobility. I don't think Brown is currently the type of player Solari likes at RT. I believe that's validated if you look at Seattle's roster. Somebody like Davis or Fox would be better fits for us at RT because, like you said, they are more balanced players. Despite Brown being more mobile.

I agree with what you said about Davis, Iupati, and Baas. Rachal, if he gets his head out, should be fine as well imo. But Boone started his weight loss program a long time before Solari was hired and Snyder would have been in trouble no matter who brought into coach the OL. So realistically, we needed a RT & LG before Solari got here and his impact hasn't materially changed anything as far as the current roster goes.
Originally posted by Overkill:
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:

Good post, just a few thoughts:

Solari may not be the size queen McCloughan was, but he will emphasize run blocking if Sing tells him he wants to build a power running game. Particularly at RT & OG.

So when I say we may not like Brown at RT because he's not a mauler, I am referring more to his playing style and run blocking ability than his measurables or mobility. I don't think Brown is currently the type of player Solari likes at RT. I believe that's validated if you look at Seattle's roster. Somebody like Davis or Fox would be better fits for us at RT because, like you said, they are more balanced players. Despite Brown being more mobile.

I agree with what you said about Davis, Iupati, and Baas. Rachal, if he gets his head out, should be fine as well imo. But Boone started his weight loss program a long time before Solari was hired and Snyder would have been in trouble no matter who brought into coach the OL. So realistically, we needed a RT & LG before Solari got here and his impact hasn't materially changed anything as far as the current roster goes.

Solari and Brown would be able to handle this kid especially under the "Singletary" umbrella. No doubt he need an environment catering to focus, support, and individual development. Davis exceeds the mold for a dominant RT, not LT. For a boy his size, he moves exceptionally well, best run blocker of the top four, period. I see talent, lots of it. Isn't his ceiling higher than the other top three, too?

Imagine with a full year under Carlisle's (sp?) conditioning program turning into another "Boone". If he's there at #13, expect us to grab him especially if Bulaga and Williams are gone. Even with all the baggage like A. Smith last year, he will be a highly sought out commodity.

We need one of the top four at #13. I just don't think they will make it to #17 as trades and NYG just may take our precious commodity. Whoever drops to #17, Spiller, Haden, Thomas, D. Williams, or Graham, is not as valuable on our board than the top four OTs in Okung, Bulaga, Williams, and Davis.

Therefore, I expect us to draft him if he's there over Spiller and Haden who are top 10 picks by most. In other drafts, Davis would be a top 10 regardless.

Man this is a great draft!
http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2010/03/former_rutgers_tackle_anthony.html

I dont know why everything I read about this guy makes me skeptical of his ability to transition to the NFL.

The guy apparently doesnt like lifting weights? Are you kidding me? This is the NFL. Wait till Richard Seymour bull rushes you, or Dwight Freeney spins past you.

Davis seems like a lazy lineman that dominated due to athletic ability against average competition.
Originally posted by calbear:
http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2010/03/former_rutgers_tackle_anthony.html

I dont know why everything I read about this guy makes me skeptical of his ability to transition to the NFL.

The guy apparently doesnt like lifting weights? Are you kidding me? This is the NFL. Wait till Richard Seymour bull rushes you, or Dwight Freeney spins past you.

Davis seems like a lazy lineman that dominated due to athletic ability against average competition.

There are three things that can cause an offensive tackle to bust:

1. short arms
2. Poor footwork
3. Motivation

Anthony Davis is just fine in the first two. So as long as he is motivated, he will be a steal.
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by calbear:

There are three things that can cause an offensive tackle to bust:

1. short arms
2. Poor footwork
3. Motivation

Anthony Davis is just fine in the first two. So as long as he is motivated, he will be a steal.

I dont know why you think only these 3 things result in being a bad tackle. Being stupid, slow, weak, lacking instinct, injury, lacking discipline, lacking heart, etc... many things lead to crappy football players.

Some players just suck... despite being gifted and trying.

Tony Mandarich?
Share 49ersWebzone