LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 242 users in the forums

Would you be okay with trading next year's 1st round pick?

Would you be okay with trading next year's 1st round pick?

• cupcheck
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Niners99:
ill trade ALL our 2011 draft picks for a few 1st rounders this year.

That sounds good, so I added up the approximate values of the picks we'd receive if we win a few games in the playoffs, say 1st at #26. The value of the rest of next yrs draft would only equal the low 40s in the second round. But applying that theory to this yrs draft gets our #49 down to TB pick at #35.
  • cupcheck
  • Info N/A
I am of the firm belief that the 9ers 2010 season we'll be division champs again and have a good playoff run. There for the 2011 draft pick some are reluctant to spend in this draft will be of less value than using it now.The impact of another 1st rounder this yr. in terms talent, speed and experience will be the same only having the benefit of it this yr.
Originally posted by cupcheck:
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by dlance:
The 2010 draft is considered one of the strongest in many yrs. because of the college jr's coming out. Logic tells you it will be a weak sr. class next yr. and I believe we'll be drafting in the high #20's with a deep playoff run. Combine that with at least a 50-50 chance of no CBA and subsequent lockout in 2011. The shrewd, not irresponsible strategy, is to use the devalued 2011 #1 rounder this yr and increase our talent going into a very promising yr. " YOU PLAY THE GAME TO WIN."!

Even if there is a lock out in 2011 there will still be a 2011 Draft.

So if you save the 2011 pick and there's a draft & lock out, he won't play until 2012 at the earliest, with a year off from football, and may need a yr. to develop.Now its 2013 before you see any benefit to the pick.

it sound like your saying that if they Draft someone in the 20s they need a year to develop. ok then if they make the trade you want with NE and get pick 22 there not going to do much this yr because they need a yr to develop. then they would be locked out, and they wont see anything out of then till 2012. and I'm not sure but do you want to trade 17 for an free agent OL???? I would love it if they trade down and pick up another second round pick just not into trading next yr first

I'm all over the map on how to use the picks, personality. The point really is ,with so much uncertainty after this yr. draft, CBA, weak 2011 draft, do or die yr. for A. Smith, load up on talent now and give yourself the best opportunity to succeed in 2010. The division and a play off run are right there next yr. GO FOR IT! By trading down the probability of productivity next yr.decreases, thus less impact, more time on the bench, another wait and see player. This yr. draft needs to strive to generate plays on the field their rookie yr. More likely to happen with a mid-first rounder than later in the draft.

I'm all over the place as far as the Draft goes too. It really all depeneds on how the Draft goes and what trades are there to be made. I just hope they find 3 or 4 starters and one of then being an OT in this Draft.

The OL definitely needs an infusion of talent. Just can't see the wisdom of selecting the 5th rated OT over #1 rated RB & RS. Virtually throwing away the most productive offensive weapon coming out this yr.

Nice post. I agree & would rather get the #1 RB/RS & get an o-lineman in the 2nd round.

I'm proposing drafting #13 spiller, #17 Wilson, trade 2011 !st + to NE. for the #22 this yr. and take Charles Brown.

I like the picks (esp Brown at 22), but that is not a fair deal for the Pats. future picks are worth ~50% of current year, and probably even more for next year because its a weak draft. You'd probably have to burn a 3rd and a 5th.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Assuming we'd get a late 1st early 2nd in return I'd say yes depending on how the draft shook out and what's left.

I'd say the only guys possibly worth it would be Best and Terrance Cody (say what you will but dude would be an awesome pickup for us) . With Charles Brown and Rodger Saffold as possibilities If we went playmakers at 13 and 17 and don't think we can get an immediate starter later.

If we go Graham(#13) and Dez Bryant (#17) Then i'd be ok with trading next year's 1st for a Charles Brown or Rodger Saffold if we felt we couldn't get an immediate starter at #49.
  • cupcheck
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by tohara3:
The 2010 draft is considered one of the strongest in many yrs. because of the college jr's coming out. Logic tells you it will be a weak sr. class next yr. and I believe we'll be drafting in the high #20's with a deep playoff run. Combine that with at least a 50-50 chance of no CBA and subsequent lockout in 2011. The shrewd, not irresponsible strategy, is to use the devalued 2011 #1 rounder this yr and increase our talent going into a very promising yr. " YOU PLAY THE GAME TO WIN."!

Even if there is a lock out in 2011 there will still be a 2011 Draft.

So if you save the 2011 pick and there's a draft & lock out, he won't play until 2012 at the earliest, with a year off from football, and may need a yr. to develop.Now its 2013 before you see any benefit to the pick.

it sound like your saying that if they Draft someone in the 20s they need a year to develop. ok then if they make the trade you want with NE and get pick 22 there not going to do much this yr because they need a yr to develop. then they would be locked out, and they wont see anything out of then till 2012. and I'm not sure but do you want to trade 17 for an free agent OL???? I would love it if they trade down and pick up another second round pick just not into trading next yr first

I'm all over the map on how to use the picks, personality. The point really is ,with so much uncertainty after this yr. draft, CBA, weak 2011 draft, do or die yr. for A. Smith, load up on talent now and give yourself the best opportunity to succeed in 2010. The division and a play off run are right there next yr. GO FOR IT! By trading down the probability of productivity next yr.decreases, thus less impact, more time on the bench, another wait and see player. This yr. draft needs to strive to generate plays on the field their rookie yr. More likely to happen with a mid-first rounder than later in the draft.

I'm all over the place as far as the Draft goes too. It really all depeneds on how the Draft goes and what trades are there to be made. I just hope they find 3 or 4 starters and one of then being an OT in this Draft.

The OL definitely needs an infusion of talent. Just can't see the wisdom of selecting the 5th rated OT over #1 rated RB & RS. Virtually throwing away the most productive offensive weapon coming out this yr.

Nice post. I agree & would rather get the #1 RB/RS & get an o-lineman in the 2nd round.

I'm proposing drafting #13 spiller, #17 Wilson, trade 2011 !st + to NE. for the #22 this yr. and take Charles Brown.

I like the picks (esp Brown at 22), but that is not a fair deal for the Pats. future picks are worth ~50% of current year, and probably even more for next year because its a weak draft. You'd probably have to burn a 3rd and a 5th.

trade 2011 1st + . The + in the equation was what I wasn't sure about in order to swing the deal. So it'll take this yr. 3ed or 5th to boot. I'm all in for three 1st rounders this yr.

[ Edited by cupcheck on Mar 28, 2010 at 15:55:02 ]
its a deep draft in an uncapped year. if we can really shore up the Oline, get a game changing saftey AND maybe spillerI would think that nearly all if not all of our pieces would be put together. with a young core like that I could imagine us running with the pack for five years solid......who knows how good our D can b with our NFL #1 linebacker and company looking foreward with confidence and not having to worry about their DBs behind them. not having competent corners and saftey help to me shows how good our d was able(#4NFL) to b in this pass oriented league despite our porus backfield (22ndNFL) . And regardless of who is taking snaps for us he will need time to deliver the ball to our abundantly talented recieving core. If we have cap space to pull off a move like this and sign our current and future core.........IMAGINE
  • cupcheck
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by matthewabbit:
its a deep draft in an uncapped year. if we can really shore up the Oline, get a game changing saftey AND maybe spillerI would think that nearly all if not all of our pieces would be put together. with a young core like that I could imagine us running with the pack for five years solid......who knows how good our D can b with our NFL #1 linebacker and company looking foreward with confidence and not having to worry about their DBs behind them. not having competent corners and saftey help to me shows how good our d was able(#4NFL) to b in this pass oriented league despite our porus backfield (22ndNFL) . And regardless of who is taking snaps for us he will need time to deliver the ball to our abundantly talented recieving core. If we have cap space to pull off a move like this and sign our current and future core.........IMAGINE

Matt, I agree. So do you think having three 1st round picks this yr. will acheve your goals faster & make 2010 a divition title & playoff yr?
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
We have 9 picks in this draft...and with the uncertainty of 2011 season, I see no compelling reason to give up any of 'em, much less a 1st rounder. As things stand right now, we'll get 3 of the top 49 players in this draft...an enviable position to be in. Yes, there could be some teams offering trades...but if it in way weakens our current draft position, it'd make no sense to pull the trigger. Let me put it this way...unless some team offers "the moon" I think we should just stand pat and make every pick count.

I,m with you on not letting any picks go, in fact..............

Hell I'd trade New England next years #1 for # 44 and #46 or 53 this year. Just better value this year with all the underclassmen coming out and no telling about next year.

[ Edited by kezar49er on Mar 28, 2010 at 17:50:48 ]
  • cupcheck
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by kezar49er:
We have 9 picks in this draft...and with the uncertainty of 2011 season, I see no compelling reason to give up any of 'em, much less a 1st rounder. As things stand right now, we'll get 3 of the top 49 players in this draft...an enviable position to be in. Yes, there could be some teams offering trades...but if it in way weakens our current draft position, it'd make no sense to pull the trigger. Let me put it this way...unless some team offers "the moon" I think we should just stand pat and make every pick count.

Hell I'd trade New England next years #1 for # 44 and #46 or 53 this year. Just better value this year with all the underclassmen coming out and no telling about next year.

WOW, I was just thinking of trading 2011 1st + this yr. 5th to NE. for their #22 this yr.
#13-Spiller
#17-Wilson
#22-Charels Brown

Exactly my thinking....I would rather have a 3rd #1 this year than a #1 next year

• cupcheck
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by btwagner:

Exactly my thinking....I would rather have a 3rd #1 this year than a #1 next year

Who would you pick with three 1st rounders this yr?

i would pick OT iupathi for sure then take either graham spiller or earl thomas
  • cupcheck
  • Info N/A
Do you think
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

Do you think Iupati can start at OT from day 1?
Originally posted by kezar49er:

WOW, I was just thinking of trading 2011 1st + this yr. 5th to NE. for their #22 this yr.
#13-Spiller
#17-Wilson
#22-Charels Brown

Wow on 17 and 22 at least. I would take Dez Bryant or Earl Thomas at 13.
Do you think
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

Do you think Iupati can start at OT from day 1?

no he cant but as an OG he will be a pro bowler and has chance to be all pro
Share 49ersWebzone