LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 261 users in the forums

Would you be okay with trading next year's 1st round pick?

Would you be okay with trading next year's 1st round pick?

• cupcheck
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Originally posted by cupcheck:
More to the point would be trading 2011 for another first round pick this yr..Ideally with NE. at #22.

Worked out great for us last time.

Hostler is gone, don't let that debacle jade your opinion.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
More to the point would be trading 2011 for another first round pick this yr..Ideally with NE. at #22.

One bad injury or 2 and our season is down the toilet and we could throw away another top 10 pick. We have 2 first rounders as it is. Especially with us being in transition at the GM position i would rather not throw away future picks just yet
  • cupcheck
  • Info N/A

One bad injury or 2 and our season is down the toilet and we could throw away another top 10 pick. We have 2 first rounders as it is. Especially with us being in transition at the GM position i would rather not throw away future picks just yet
I prefer to see 3 first round picks as a positive toward building the talent level to be able to absorb an injury and not be as negatively affected. What if the extra play drafted turned out to be offensive or defensive rookie of the yr.? Just as much as a probability.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran

I prefer to see 3 first round picks as a positive toward building the talent level to be able to absorb an injury and not be as negatively affected. What if the extra play drafted turned out to be offensive or defensive rookie of the yr.? Just as much as a probability.

The risk reward isn't worth it. Trading away future picks almost never works out. Think Carolina are happy they traded away their pick last year?

Would you rather Everette Brown or the 17th overall pick in this years draft?
Had we not traded for Staley we could have gotten Ryan Clady who is a FAR superior LT.

Just not worth it.
  • cupcheck
  • Info N/A

The risk reward isn't worth it. Trading away future picks almost never works out. Think Carolina are happy they traded away their pick last year?

Had we not traded for Staley we could have gotten Ryan Clady who is a FAR superior LT.

Just not worth it.

The luxury of knowing the out come of past dealings doesn't automatically make like situations failures.
  • cupcheck
  • Info N/A
The 2010 draft is considered one of the strongest in many yrs. because of the college jr's coming out. Logic tells you it will be a weak sr. class next yr. and I believe we'll be drafting in the high #20's with a deep playoff run. Combine that with at least a 50-50 chance of no CBA and subsequent lockout in 2011. The shrewd, not irresponsible strategy, is to use the devalued 2011 #1 rounder this yr and increase our talent going into a very promising yr. " YOU PLAY THE GAME TO WIN."!
only for the closest thing to a sure thing if that player slips and we need to trade up to get him after he's fallen too far and will get taken soon.....then it would be worth it
I'd hope the Niners would keep the first round pick next year. Having two first round picks in a solid draft this year does not mean much when you're the Niners drafting, but....

I'm operating here on the theory that a blind squirrel would find acorns eventually.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran

Just not worth it.

The luxury of knowing the out come of past dealings doesn't automatically make like situations failures.

No but this team isn't good enough to throw away a future first round pick without a strong likelihood that it comes back to haunt us. You'd think people would have learned with that awful Staley trade
  • cupcheck
  • Info N/A

Just not worth it.

No but this team isn't good enough to throw away a future first round pick without a strong likelihood that it comes back to haunt us. You'd think people would have learned with that awful Staley trade

Nothing wrong with the trade, remember who the OC was the next yr.? Hostler, that was the mistake that derailed that season, and put us back in the top 10 again .Try to see the big picture.

the last time that happen it was the 7th pick in the draft. Mayo Lb new england would have been nice next to willis
  • cupcheck
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by 49erjoe:
the last time that happen it was the 7th pick in the draft. Mayo Lb new england would have been nice next to willis

Very true, it would have been better to have a competent OC, compiled a winning record, and the disparity between the picks would not look so bad.
Originally posted by dlance:
The 2010 draft is considered one of the strongest in many yrs. because of the college jr's coming out. Logic tells you it will be a weak sr. class next yr. and I believe we'll be drafting in the high #20's with a deep playoff run. Combine that with at least a 50-50 chance of no CBA and subsequent lockout in 2011. The shrewd, not irresponsible strategy, is to use the devalued 2011 #1 rounder this yr and increase our talent going into a very promising yr. " YOU PLAY THE GAME TO WIN."!

Even if there is a lock out in 2011 there will still be a 2011 Draft.

So if you save the 2011 pick and there's a draft & lock out, he won't play until 2012 at the earliest, with a year off from football, and may need a yr. to develop.Now its 2013 before you see any benefit to the pick.

it sound like your saying that if they Draft someone in the 20s they need a year to develop. ok then if they make the trade you want with NE and get pick 22 there not going to do much this yr because they need a yr to develop. then they would be locked out, and they wont see anything out of then till 2012. and I'm not sure but do you want to trade 17 for an free agent OL???? I would love it if they trade down and pick up another second round pick just not into trading next yr first
[ Edited by dlance on Mar 21, 2010 at 7:11 AM ]
  • cupcheck
  • Info N/A

So if you save the 2011 pick and there's a draft & lock out, he won't play until 2012 at the earliest, with a year off from football, and may need a yr. to develop.Now its 2013 before you see any benefit to the pick.

it sound like your saying that if they Draft someone in the 20s they need a year to develop. ok then if they make the trade you want with NE and get pick 22 there not going to do much this yr because they need a yr to develop. then they would be locked out, and they wont see anything out of then till 2012. and I'm not sure but do you want to trade 17 for an free agent OL???? I would love it if they trade down and pick up another second round pick just not into trading next yr first

I'm all over the map on how to use the picks, personality. The point really is ,with so much uncertainty after this yr. draft, CBA, weak 2011 draft, do or die yr. for A. Smith, load up on talent now and give yourself the best opportunity to succeed in 2010. The division and a play off run are right there next yr. GO FOR IT! By trading down the probability of productivity next yr.decreases, thus less impact, more time on the bench, another wait and see player. This yr. draft needs to strive to generate plays on the field their rookie yr. More likely to happen with a mid-first rounder than later in the draft.

I'm all over the map on how to use the picks, personality. The point really is ,with so much uncertainty after this yr. draft, CBA, weak 2011 draft, do or die yr. for A. Smith, load up on talent now and give yourself the best opportunity to succeed in 2010. The division and a play off run are right there next yr. GO FOR IT! By trading down the probability of productivity next yr.decreases, thus less impact, more time on the bench, another wait and see player. This yr. draft needs to strive to generate plays on the field their rookie yr. More likely to happen with a mid-first rounder than later in the draft.

I'm all over the place as far as the Draft goes too. It really all depeneds on how the Draft goes and what trades are there to be made. I just hope they find 3 or 4 starters and one of then being an OT in this Draft.
Share 49ersWebzone