There are 214 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Would you be okay with trading next year's 1st round pick?

Would you be okay with trading next year's 1st round pick?

Actually next years draft class looks to be pretty solid. I was expecting a lot more guys to come out due to the uncertainty of 2011 but looks like a lot of guys didn't buy into the worries.
I'd have to see who was on the board so yes, but with the certainty that we get an awesome player.
Originally posted by sspiker:
A lot of posters (well, one mostly but some others as well) are featuring mock drafts with us trading our 3rd and next year's first to get another 1st round pick this year, which is almost always met with disapproval by the majority of posters. I'm trying to get a sense of where people stand.

If we were a team one player away from a championship, I'd consider it. But while we showed a lot of strengths last year, we have some glaring weaknesses as well. And though we're a young team, we're also inconsistent and depth is always a good thing. Finally, if Smith or Carr doesn't pan out this year, we'll likely use our #1 next year to draft a franchise QB. Robbing us of that option to get greedy in the first is short-sighted.

But some people are pushing for it, while there may be some who are generally against it, but would consider it for a special player. Where do you stand?


Yes, YES, for three reasons:

1. This is the strongest draft in a quarter-century. A late #1 or an early #2 is worth more than a #1 in 2011.

2. 2011 will be very weak, if there even is a draft.

3. We are ready to win now -- trading away future picks accelerates development.
Yes because there will be a ton of first round talent in the second round

and if we're going to win the West then it's going to be a late pick anyway so


DO IT
i would be alright with it because its a very deep draft
  • cupcheck
  • Info N/A
Lets say we trade with NE at #22, plus #13 & #17... in order who would be your 3 choices?
i dont mind trading next years 32 overall pick for one this year.
Let's see next years first and this years 3rd for a first this year. While this years draft is purportedly strong and next years weaker. That depends on who is there for the taking and can they help us now.

If the the three first round picks along with the 2nd round contribute and help the niners win the division and maybe more, it might be great as next years pick would be a low first in the mid 20s at least. However, if the niners suck wind, then we are a $**t out of luck.

It would have to be a draft day decision, wait and see thing for me.
  • cupcheck
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by WildBill:
Let's see next years first and this years 3rd for a first this year. While this years draft is purportedly strong and next years weaker. That depends on who is there for the taking and can they help us now.

If the the three first round picks along with the 2nd round contribute and help the niners win the division and maybe more, it might be great as next years pick would be a low first in the mid 20s at least. However, if the niners suck wind, then we are a $**t out of luck.

It would have to be a draft day decision, wait and see thing for me.

WE won't know if 3 first round picks will help win the division if we only use the existing 2. If "the 9ers suck wind" next yr., that will probably mean the QB. situation will be blown ski high and we'll start all over. If A. Smith, D. Carr,& N. Davis in any combination don't get us into the playoffs, then a new 5 yr plan may ensue. For this reason along with weak 2011 draft & CBA questions at this point in time, which won't be resolved until the 11th hr. if at all, this draft needs to be the "over the top, strike it rich, mother of all draft hauls! Three knock it out of the park HOMERUN picks!!
Originally posted by cupcheck:
The 2010 draft is considered one of the strongest in many yrs. because of the college jr's coming out. Logic tells you it will be a weak sr. class next yr. and I believe we'll be drafting in the high #20's with a deep playoff run. Combine that with at least a 50-50 chance of no CBA and subsequent lockout in 2011. The shrewd, not irresponsible strategy, is to use the devalued 2011 #1 rounder this yr and increase our talent going into a very promising yr. " YOU PLAY THE GAME TO WIN."!

Even if there is a lock out in 2011 there will still be a 2011 Draft.
  • cupcheck
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by dlance:
Originally posted by cupcheck:
The 2010 draft is considered one of the strongest in many yrs. because of the college jr's coming out. Logic tells you it will be a weak sr. class next yr. and I believe we'll be drafting in the high #20's with a deep playoff run. Combine that with at least a 50-50 chance of no CBA and subsequent lockout in 2011. The shrewd, not irresponsible strategy, is to use the devalued 2011 #1 rounder this yr and increase our talent going into a very promising yr. " YOU PLAY THE GAME TO WIN."!

Even if there is a lock out in 2011 there will still be a 2011 Draft.

So if you save the 2011 pick and there's a draft & lock out, he won't play until 2012 at the earliest, with a year off from football, and may need a yr. to develop.Now its 2013 before you see any benefit to the pick.
[ Edited by cupcheck on Mar 20, 2010 at 9:27 AM ]
No way! What if we get little-to-no improvement from our QB position this coming year? I like Nate Davis but I'd rather not bank our future on him. We need a QB. That's THE missing piece at this point and there are some highly touted guys coming out next year that we should potentially trade up for. I want a top 5 QB, like Rivers, Brees, etc..

Locker

Mallett
  • cupcheck
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by 84SheepDog:
No way! What if we get little-to-no improvement from our QB position this coming year? I like Nate Davis but I'd rather not bank our future on him. We need a QB. That's THE missing piece at this point and there are some highly touted guys coming out next year that we should potentially trade up for. I want a top 5 QB, like Rivers, Brees, etc..

Locker

Mallett

Why assume the worst? The first yr. in the same system, more reps. between starting QB and WR core, same offensive scheme all yr., new OL coach, young players have more maturity, coach Sing has all off season to study weaknesses and correct problems. What's worse, acquire all the talent you can this yr., which you'll always have or bet your first real shot at a division title in 7 yrs. isn't worth an all out push, starting with this draft?
is next years qb class even any good? except for Locker it really doesn't seem like it will be
  • cupcheck
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by teeohh:
is next years qb class even any good? except for Locker it really doesn't seem like it will be

Plus, what if the QB you are mailing in the season for gets hurt? Its not unhead of.[ Bradford]. Or what if the opposite of this yr. happens next yr.,and none of the jr. class inters the draft because of a new rookie salary cap favoring players who stay their sr. yr.?
[ Edited by cupcheck on Mar 20, 2010 at 3:10 PM ]
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home