LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 259 users in the forums

Would you be okay with trading next year's 1st round pick?

Would you be okay with trading next year's 1st round pick?

Originally posted by teeohh:
is next years qb class even any good? except for Locker it really doesn't seem like it will be

That's why we gotta keep our first, even if we make the playoffs next season that first still holds combined trade value with other picks so that we may move up to get Jake Locker (ala New York Jets trading the bank for Mark Sanchez). This year's priority is o-line and depth, next year's is the final key piece to success.
  • cupcheck
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
is next years qb class even any good? except for Locker it really doesn't seem like it will be

That's why we gotta keep our first, even if we make the playoffs next season that first still holds combined trade value with other picks so that we may move up to get Jake Locker (ala New York Jets trading the bank for Mark Sanchez). This year's priority is o-line and depth, next year's is the final key piece to success.

Why would you need a QB if you make the play offs.
Originally posted by cupcheck:
Originally posted by 84SheepDog:
No way! What if we get little-to-no improvement from our QB position this coming year? I like Nate Davis but I'd rather not bank our future on him. We need a QB. That's THE missing piece at this point and there are some highly touted guys coming out next year that we should potentially trade up for. I want a top 5 QB, like Rivers, Brees, etc..

Locker

Mallett

Why assume the worst? The first yr. in the same system, more reps. between starting QB and WR core, same offensive scheme all yr., new OL coach, young players have more maturity, coach Sing has all off season to study weaknesses and correct problems. What's worse, acquire all the talent you can this yr., which you'll always have or bet your first real shot at a division title in 7 yrs. isn't worth an all out push, starting with this draft?

Yeah, I'm pulling for Alex and HOPE he does better. Truth be told, I wasn't uber impressed with what he needed to be an outstanding ending to last year. I'd just feel more comfortable with at least one pick in each 1st round. Just look at what happened to Carolina. Traded away their future first, found out quickly that Delhomme was on his last legs and their only legitimate option now is Matt Moore.

Further, everyone seems to be on this, "we need to win NOW kick." It's not likely we win the SB next year. We're building a team (that's almost there) that we can sustain for the next decade. Getting one more guy in this draft isn't going to assure us anything.

Agreed

Because you can stand for an upgrade (ie. Kerry Collins, Trent Dilfer, etc.)
  • cupcheck
  • Info N/A
No way! What if we get little-to-no improvement from our QB position this coming year? I like Nate Davis but I'd rather not bank our future on him. We need a QB. That's THE missing piece at this point and there are some highly touted guys coming out next year that we should potentially trade up for. I want a top 5 QB, like Rivers, Brees, etc..

Locker

Mallett

Why assume the worst? The first yr. in the same system, more reps. between starting QB and WR core, same offensive scheme all yr., new OL coach, young players have more maturity, coach Sing has all off season to study weaknesses and correct problems. What's worse, acquire all the talent you can this yr., which you'll always have or bet your first real shot at a division title in 7 yrs. isn't worth an all out push, starting with this draft?

Yeah, I'm pulling for Alex and HOPE he does better. Truth be told, I wasn't uber impressed with what he needed to be an outstanding ending to last year. I'd just feel more comfortable with at least one pick in each 1st round. Just look at what happened to Carolina. Traded away their future first, found out quickly that Delhomme was on his last legs and their only legitimate option now is Matt Moore.

Further, everyone seems to be on this, "we need to win NOW kick." It's not likely we win the SB next year. We're building a team (that's almost there) that we can sustain for the next decade. Getting one more guy in this draft isn't going to assure us anything.

Not to spit hairs, but what if we are one player, at a key positon away from our goal, say big time pass rush, or ball hawking S., or another OL like you mention. Seems like 3 picks in the middle of the 1st should be a bonanza of a draft!
  • cupcheck
  • Info N/A

What guarantee is there that a rookie QB will replace the QB that just took you to the first play off appearance in 7 yrs.?
[ Edited by cupcheck on Mar 20, 2010 at 3:36 PM ]

What gueanty is there that a rookie QB will replace the QB that juat took you to the first play off appeance in 7 yrs.?

There is none. I'm merely suggesting we might need an upgrade. I mean, getting to the playoffs next year would be money. But, I'm not happy with the position if Delhomme, Grossman, Dilfer, etc. is my Quarterback. I'm looking to find someone that you know will bring you back, year in and year out

Locker

Mallett

Not to spit hairs, but what if we are one player, at a key positon away from our goal, say big time pass rush, or ball hawking S., or another OL like you mention. Seems like 3 picks in the middle of the 1st should be a bonanza of a draft!

It would be. But I don't think it would be the smartest thing to do. I mean, I'd be happy with Graham, TWilliams and Iupati... but if the QBs underperform we're left in a poor situation going forward.

What guarantee is there that a rookie QB will replace the QB that just took you to the first play off appearance in 7 yrs.?

Just for sh*ts and giggles, what would your 2010 draft look like in this scenario?

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I'd be OK with it, if we were/are trading it for Eric Berry.
  • cupcheck
  • Info N/A

Just for sh*ts and giggles, what would your 2010 draft look like in this scenario?

If Spiller is there at #13,none. Use #17 to get a proven OL in FA. Get #22 from NE. and grab BPA[ secondary help, CB, OR S.] In the 2ed BPA.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I'd be OK with it, if we were/are trading it for Eric Berry.

Took the words right outta my mouth.
  • cupcheck
  • Info N/A
More to the point would be trading 2011 for another first round pick this yr..Ideally with NE. at #22.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
More to the point would be trading 2011 for another first round pick this yr..Ideally with NE. at #22.

Worked out great for us last time.
Share 49ersWebzone