LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 279 users in the forums

Draft Spiller and then trade Gore to the Chargers

Originally posted by TeambyTheBay:
You guys act like I hate Gore. I think he's a top 5 RB and has been for a while. But the thing with RBs is that they decline very quickly. I am just thinking about the future with this move.

You're thinking of the future at the expense of the present. Still a bad move.
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by ttime1:
Originally posted by English:
^^^^ Desmond Howard is scarcely a ringing enforcement of the idea of drafting a playmaker. He was already on his second or third team by then. Waste of a first rounder for the Skins

As I stated; Spiller is more dynamic than Howard and my mentioning him was to primarily address the statement that a top 15 pick isn't drafted for full-time PR/KR duties. With that said, his Superbowl MVP honor suggest that the skins and others made a mistake as his contribution is historical. I saw what he did to the 49ers and had it not been for him the Niners would have won the NFC championship. They outplayed the Packers on both sides of the ball; but Howard was the difference in a tight game. If Spiller matches Howard's accomplishments to make the difference for the Niners getting to and winning the Superbowl, then he would be a draft pick well spent.

You had to go all the way back to 92 huh? The mere fact that you can't even use Reggie Bush as an example should tell you something.

What it tells me is that we have different views on what winning is about. Less tha 10% of the leauge's players got superbowl rings last season and Bush is was one of them as he contributed despite his injuries. And yes it is true that he may leave the Saints but he is still better than anyone on the Niners. My reference to Howard demonstrates how a PR/KR can be drafted high and play the position full time at a high enough level to earn Superbowl MVP honors.

You are missing the whole point. Around these parts though, I'm not surprised.

Possibly you are right; more likely you are not as I not only disagreed with your premise but supported it with evidence that first round kr/pr talent is important. But hey, I hope that GMs think as you do so that Spiller will be there #13 and the Niners can select him. Then you and I can really agree to disagree about something that matters..
Man, this guy is getting chewed out.

First, I don't see the Chargers trading a first for a running back that has as much mileage as Gore has and who happens to also have injury issues.

Second, the Chargers acquiring Gore doesn't make them Super Bowl contenders but it does make them a playoff team. They couldn't even get to the Super Bowl with LT.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
^^^^ Desmond Howard is scarcely a ringing enforcement of the idea of drafting a playmaker. He was already on his second or third team by then. Waste of a first rounder for the Skins

As I stated; Spiller is more dynamic than Howard and my mentioning him was to primarily address the statement that a top 15 pick isn't drafted for full-time PR/KR duties. With that said, his Superbowl MVP honor suggest that the skins and others made a mistake as his contribution is historical. I saw what he did to the 49ers and had it not been for him the Niners would have won the NFC championship. They outplayed the Packers on both sides of the ball; but Howard was the difference in a tight game. If Spiller matches Howard's accomplishments to make the difference for the Niners getting to and winning the Superbowl, then he would be a draft pick well spent.

You had to go all the way back to 92 huh? The mere fact that you can't even use Reggie Bush as an example should tell you something.

What it tells me is that we have different views on what winning is about. Less tha 10% of the leauge's players got superbowl rings last season and Bush is was one of them as he contributed despite his injuries. And yes it is true that he may leave the Saints but he is still better than anyone on the Niners. My reference to Howard demonstrates how a PR/KR can be drafted high and play the position full time at a high enough level to earn Superbowl MVP honors.

Possibly you are right; more likely you are not as I not only disagreed with your premise but supported it with evidence that first round kr/pr talent is important. But hey, I hope that GMs think as you do so that Spiller will be there #13 and the Niners can select him. Then you and I can really agree to disagree about something that matters..

Again, i'm not saying it isn't important. What i'm saying is. Teams don't want key parts of their team on full time kr/pr duties. Which is what alot of you suggest Spiller will be. It just won't happen. Which is part of the reason I say he's overrated. Because he's not going to do all the tings in the NFL that he did in college. And by that I mean he won't be giving the chance to not that he can't.

people talk about return skills and slot skills and he won't be able to show case much of either. look around the league and see how many important pieces are full time KR/PR duties. At best they may allow him to his rookie year and part time duties thereafter. Which was my premise.

Again, i'm not saying it isn't important. What i'm saying is. Teams don't want key parts of their team on full time kr/pr duties. Which is what alot of you suggest Spiller will be. It just won't happen. Which is part of the reason I say he's overrated. Because he's not going to do all the tings in the NFL that he did in college. And by that I mean he won't be giving the chance to not that he can't.

people talk about return skills and slot skills and he won't be able to show case much of either. look around the league and see how many important pieces are full time KR/PR duties. At best they may allow him to his rookie year and part time duties thereafter. Which was my premise.

Generally speaking they allow them to do one of the duties. Ie Bush in New Orleans and Percy Harvin and the Vikings. Whether it lasts just depends on how big of work load he's able to carry. If he emerges into a every down back like Chris Johnson then he's not going to have any return duties.

As for playing the slots and being a receiver out of the backfield. It's a guarantee that he will be doing that.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Mar 8, 2010 at 8:24 AM ]

Point well taken. There aren't very many Gale Sayers in the league. D. Jackson, Harvin, Sproles, however plays multiple roles and you have to ask yourself; how many players in the league who can? I mean, Spiller is the only player in NCAA history to score tds five different ways. Look at it like tis; if Spiller does play multiple roles he will touch the ball more often the Vernon and Crabtree and with each touch he has the ability to take it all the way. Even when he does not touch it, his presence wil open up opportunities for the other playmakers.
  • krizay
  • Veteran

Point well taken. There aren't very many Gale Sayers in the league. D. Jackson, Harvin, Sproles, however plays multiple roles and you have to ask yourself; how many players in the league who can? I mean, Spiller is the only player in NCAA history to score tds five different ways. Look at it like tis; if Spiller does play multiple roles he will touch the ball more often the Vernon and Crabtree and with each touch he has the ability to take it all the way. Even when he does not touch it, his presence wil open up opportunities for the other playmakers.

And Mike Rumph never gave up a TD in college. Only two roles where he can open anybody up is WR and RB. And he won't be as good a WR as Jason Hill. Yes he can catch good for a RB. But he's not Brian Westbrook or Reggie Bush like when it comes to the passing game. Yes you can motion him out of the backfield and send him deep. Which will take a safety with him. But guess what. Anyone you line up in the slot and send deep will take the safety with him. It's how it works.

Speed is often times given too much credit on this board.
  • cupcheck
  • Info N/A

And Mike Rumph never gave up a TD in college. Only two roles where he can open anybody up is WR and RB. And he won't be as good a WR as Jason Hill. Yes he can catch good for a RB. But he's not Brian Westbrook or Reggie Bush like when it comes to the passing game. Yes you can motion him out of the backfield and send him deep. Which will take a safety with him. But guess what. Anyone you line up in the slot and send deep will take the safety with him.

Now your catching on! The point exactly...How many S can you get the defense to put on the field and still try to stop Gore? LB can't cover speed and S can't stop Gore!
[ Edited by cupcheck on Mar 8, 2010 at 5:25 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone