There are 196 users in the forums

My Disgusting Dream... :( about the Seahawks Draft

If the Niners re-sign Pashos, then OG becomes the number 1 priority. Spiller (or whoever falls) at #13 and Iupati (pronounced Oo-pati) at #17.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
That could very easily happen. And it's one reason why I hope we don't pass on Spiller at #13. Because Seattle could very well take him at #14 and he will burn us for years to come. We have no control over pick #6.

You should never play defense when drafting.

Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
I hope they don't draft an OT and draft Spiller; their O-Line sucks and Spiller would get destroyed, not to mention their QB.

They have one of the most reputable OL coaches in the NFL in Alex Gibbs and they will upgrade their line this offseason.

I have no problem playing the chess game with them. If they take an OT at #6 obviously they have no need for another one. If we took an OT at #13 it leaves the door open for them to take Spiller. Knowing that an OT would be safe after #13 to #17 you pull the trigger on the luxury pick (which cock blocks them) and go after the OT at 17.

Seattle, NYG or Tennessee could all trade down with someone looking to move UP especially if we let an OT by us (Pittsburgh, GB, Dallas, Arizona and Indy are all teams that could be looking to get an OT) and we could miss out on said OT at 17 because we were to busy playing chess. You pick the highest rated player on the board and not worry about Seattle.

Seattle may just look to trade down as they have no 3rd and could certainly stand to pick up an extra 2nd or 3rd to help fill some of the glaring holes they have.

Ok look at it this way. Spiller = Greater than any OT at #13. He's the #1 RB/KR/PR/Gamebreaker in the draft. The top 4 OT's will likely be gone by #13. So you are getting #5 on down. You are getting a second tier OT who is overdrafted and should be a 2nd rounder. A reach for need rather than the highest rated RB in the draft. And the best gamebreaker in the draft.

While Spiller is widely regarded as the #1 RB, I'd bet there will be at least one if not more who will have Ryan Matthews ranked ahead of him. He may be the #1 KR in the draft but he is not the best PR and one could argue Bryant is a bigger gamebreaker than him.

This is all subjective.

Outside of Okung, I am not sold that Bulaga/Williams/Campbell/Davis are top 10 picks, some teams may reach others maybe not. It's also possible that we place a greater value on some of those OT's than we do Spiller. Everything is dependent on how high Scot values CJ Spiller vs the 5 OT's who are 1st round picks and which ones are on the board at 13 not how high we the fans do which is the key.

Also don't overlook other prospects who may be ranked higher on our board who could possibly be available at 13 (ie. JPP, Haden, McClain and maybe even Earl Thomas).
I see this happening for the 49ers

#13 Trent Williams
#17 CJ Spiller
Originally posted by SoCal9ers:

#13 Trent Williams
#17 CJ Spiller

If both are available at #13 it depends so much on what the seahawks do with their first pick. The need an OT.
If they take an OT with the 1st pick, we have to pick Spiller, because the seahawks would take him at #14 if he is there. But this would also mean, that Williams will slip to #17 because the giants and titans have other needs. This would be the perfect scenario
If the seahawks don't take an OT at #6, we have to take Williams at #13 or the seahawks will pick him at #14. This means Spiller will be taken by the seahawks (or by the giants if the hawks pass). So i don't think Williams at #13 and Spiller at #17 is realistic. But Spiller at #13 and Williams at #17 is very possible.
Originally posted by stever:

#13 Trent Williams
#17 CJ Spiller

If both are available at #13 it depends so much on what the seahawks do with their first pick. The need an OT.
If they take an OT with the 1st pick, we have to pick Spiller, because the seahawks would take him at #14 if he is there. But this would also mean, that Williams will slip to #17 because the giants and titans have other needs. This would be the perfect scenario
If the seahawks don't take an OT at #6, we have to take Williams at #13 or the seahawks will pick him at #14. This means Spiller will be taken by the seahawks (or by the giants if the hawks pass). So i don't think Williams at #13 and Spiller at #17 is realistic. But Spiller at #13 and Williams at #17 is very possible.

as long as we get both i'd be very happy!
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by stever:

#13 Trent Williams
#17 CJ Spiller

No it doesn't. The Seahawks have more than 2 needs. They NEED to improve the pass rush, they NEED to improve the secondary as well. They could very well take Thomas, Graham, Morgan or JPP if any of those guys are available at 14. Heck they could take Dan Williams too or maybe Clausen if he somehow he slips down that far.
I've never hated a draft pick as much as Spiller and I dont even know the guy. I guess I just hate what he represents, the darling of the masses (who are usually wrong) that expect him to come in and be the next CJ/Percy Harvin all rolled into one. The reality is there are very few elite backs out there that can change a game with or without a good Oline. Frank Gore is one of those elite backs. We are a power run team with probably the least creative OC in the game. Like Vernon Davis he would would probably go to waist for a couple of years until Jimmy Raye is gone. IMHO

The whole premise of this thread is depressing. I pray they draft Spiller, because the run D is our team strength. Our LBs are very fast (Willis & Manny), Goldson is a heat seeking missle and say what you want about number 22, but he is a run stopper. I've seen video of Spiller and I can gaureentee you he will not see wholes in our D like he saw in college. We are a swarming defense and all of our guys flow to the ball.
  • cupcheck
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I've never hated a draft pick as much as Spiller and I dont even know the guy. I guess I just hate what he represents, the darling of the masses (who are usually wrong) that expect him to come in and be the next CJ/Percy Harvin all rolled into one. The reality is there are very few elite backs out there that can change a game with or without a good Oline. Frank Gore is one of those elite backs. We are a power run team with probably the least creative OC in the game. Like Vernon Davis he would would probably go to waist for a couple of years until Jimmy Raye is gone. IMHO

The whole premise of this thread is depressing. I pray they draft Spiller, because the run D is our team strength. Our LBs are very fast (Willis & Manny), Goldson is a heat seeking missle and say what you want about number 22, but he is a run stopper. I've seen video of Spiller and I can gaureentee you he will not see wholes in our D like he saw in college. We are a swarming defense and all of our guys flow to the ball.

I'm not posting this to deepen your depression,but her goes.A speed RB/RS enables an offense to put a defense on its heels. First- improved field position. The average number of offensive possessions per game is 12,so if your RS averages 10 yrds. per return, [punt or kick off] that's 120 yrds of offense a game.That's not even taking into consideration aTD. now and then. In addition in a 2 back set, he'll draw alot of attention out side,compromising the run D between the tackles.Speed also requires a D to play in the nickel, replacing a LB with at lest aS if not a CB,providing the feature back more lanes to run.
Originally posted by Knowledge:
So who did we pick at 13?

In the dream if I can remember correctly we took Trent Williams!
Originally posted by cupcheck:

I'm not posting this to deepen your depression,but her goes.A speed RB/RS enables an offense to put a defense on its heels. First- improved field position. The average number of offensive possessions per game is 12,so if your RS averages 10 yrds. per return, [punt or kick off] that's 120 yrds of offense a game.That's not even taking into consideration aTD. now and then. also requires aIn addition in a 2 back set, he'll draw alot of attention out side,compromising the run D between the tackles.Speed D to play in the nickel, replacing a LB with at lest aS if not a CB,providing the feature back more lanes to run.

It would be stupid of me to argue that a dynamic and speed back can't help the team. Obviously if he turns out to be what everybody thinks he will be he would of been very useful. However, here are a few things to consider.

1. A lot of the problems we had on special teams wasn't just the return man, it was the protection. How many times did we see our guys waive fair catch because our defenders couldn't stop the on coming hord? Al wasn't let go, just because we didn't have a return man. We sucked from the front line back.

2. If Spiller and Gore are in at the same time that would mean we dont have a full back that Gore can follow (which he likes to do). I'm not sure I buy the theory about having to sit in nickle because Spiller is in. I would have to see the data. It also depends on who you play. I dont think 3/4 teams would have to shift into a nickle.

[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Mar 3, 2010 at 20:46:50 ]

Gore is an elite back on worn legs. You waste your post by adding Vern into this, he just tied the TE record under raye. it is time to get a good Back up for gore. We are NOT GOING TO BE A POWER RUNNING TEAM NEXT SEASON!! We will be playing a chess game with the teams in our Division because wew hyave to win that first. Allow spiller to go to Seattle and that will a bad move. Pete will make him look like bush in college. it may not be a complete turn around next yr for them but they will contend soon. They will most likely upgrade the skill positions next season and try to upgrade the other positions through FA.
Originally posted by SF4EVA:

Gore is an elite back on worn legs. You waste your post by adding Vern into this, he just tied the TE record under raye. it is time to get a good Back up for gore. We are NOT GOING TO BE A POWER RUNNING TEAM NEXT SEASON!! We will be playing a chess game with the teams in our Division because wew hyave to win that first. Allow spiller to go to Seattle and that will a bad move. Pete will make him look like bush in college. it may not be a complete turn around next yr for them but they will contend soon. They will most likely upgrade the skill positions next season and try to upgrade the other positions through FA.

1. Please tell me how Gore is an elite back on worn legs? That statement in itself is an oxymoron.

2. VD floundered for 4 years until someone like Jimmy Raye came along that new how to use him. If its one thing Jimmy Raye was known for it was his TE friendly offense. My point was players can go to waist if they aren't properly used (i.e Franklin in the 2 gap system). I believe that Jimmy does not have the creativity to use Spiller to his full capacity.
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
If the Niners re-sign Pashos, then OG becomes the number 1 priority. Spiller (or whoever falls) at #13 and Iupati (pronounced Oo-pati) at #17.

haha, you can't be serious. Pashos is a good backup, but he is not the answer in the long term. We need a RT we can depend on, and that tackle is Trent Williams. unfortunatly, i think Trent's performance at the combine pushed him up above the 13th pick. This means we will have to settle for Anthony Davis who actually has better physical skills, size and potential. I think we go
1a) Anthony Davis
1b) Brandon Graham
2) Brandon Ghee
3) Ciron Black
4) Myron Rolle
Originally posted by GoldenGateFan:
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:

haha, you can't be serious. Pashos is a good backup, but he is not the answer in the long term. We need a RT we can depend on, and that tackle is Trent Williams. unfortunatly, i think Trent's performance at the combine pushed him up above the 13th pick. This means we will have to settle for Anthony Davis who actually has better physical skills, size and potential. I think we go
1a) Anthony Davis
1b) Brandon Graham
2) Brandon Ghee
3) Ciron Black
4) Myron Rolle

great draft and i think anthony davis has the physical set to be an amazing RT Graham is gonna be a beast of a pass rusher

however can Ghee return punts and kicks?
Originally posted by SF4EVA:

1. Please tell me how Gore is an elite back on worn legs? That statement in itself is an oxymoron.

2. VD floundered for 4 years until someone like Jimmy Raye came along that new how to use him. If its one thing Jimmy Raye was known for it was his TE friendly offense. My point was players can go to waist if they aren't properly used (i.e Franklin in the 2 gap system). I believe that Jimmy does not have the creativity to use Spiller to his full capacity.

I think that you are being a little tough on Raye. He has proven the ability to get the ball to his play makers. and Spiller is the best playmaker available in the draft. Did you hate the Crabtree, VD, Willis picks too? They were also popular ones b4 the draft.
Share 49ersWebzone