There are 92 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

40 time errors!

Some of the "official times" are completely f**ked
I do believe a lot of these kids got cheated
none bigger then Mays and Spiller
Is it only a coincedence there 40s unofficial and official times are so different and they both kept their left hand down while on the 3 point stance
Maybe cheated by the official time, but coaches, scouts and GM's will compare it with their own hand times (some teams may even share times) and also look at what some of these kids do at pro days, dependent on who chooses to run again. They also look closely at game tapes so the timed speed will be weighed vs football speed.

I don't think some of these erroneous looking times that the NFL releases as official will make a major impact for some kids ie. Mays, Spiller etc. They already knew that those guys are incredibly fast with pads on.
Check this out How fast did Mays run?
There is too much riding on their 40 times to not get it right. NFL is making too much money to not be able to afford something more precise.
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
Check this out How fast did Mays run?

thats f**ked, holliday supposed ran 4.34 and mays a 4.43, yet mays is out in front of holliday. Mays is pretty damn fast
Whatever helps Spiller fall to the 9ers slot is cool with me.
I really wanted to see that simelcast of Spiller vs Best
It doesn't really matter, since most of these guys will run again at their Pro Day. If they really are super fast, then they will post the right time.
IMO Spiller ran faster than his posted time. And he plays faster than that also. Mays and Spiller have their pro day to improve upon what they did. So they may go faster.
By this same logic you could say every 40 time for all time at the combine may have errors. Maybe Chris Johnson's 4.24 is really like a 4.30. Maybe they didn't start the timer exactly on time and were a little late giving him an advantage. Maybe Jerry Rice's 4.6 was really like a 4.4. Somebody mis timed it.

You can go on and on about this all you want. But you haven't proven anything. The electronic times are what they are. If a player wants to improve upon them they can run again at their Pro Day. They get another chance.
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
I trust these combine results much better than any pro day results or the unofficial times.

The unofficial times that NFLN uses during the broadcasts are simply someone in the booth with a stopwatch, which isn't exactly error free. Thus the large discrepancies.

NFL uses electronic timers that record the time when the runner passes by. Pretty hard to introduce error in that.

The Pro Day times come on tracks, with friendly personnell holding the stopwatches.

Also every coach and GM there had their own stopwatch and was recording the 40 times. Some of them don't even record the whole thing and are just interested in the 10 yard time.

Finally the 40 yard dash time has no bearing on actual football speed. Example: Chris Johnson recorded a 4.24 at the combine, Patrick Willis ran a 4.49, yet Willis was able to chase Johnson down in the open field.
Originally posted by smileyman:
I trust these combine results much better than any pro day results or the unofficial times.

The unofficial times that NFLN uses during the broadcasts are simply someone in the booth with a stopwatch, which isn't exactly error free. Thus the large discrepancies.

NFL uses electronic timers that record the time when the runner passes by. Pretty hard to introduce error in that.

The Pro Day times come on tracks, with friendly personnell holding the stopwatches.

Also every coach and GM there had their own stopwatch and was recording the 40 times. Some of them don't even record the whole thing and are just interested in the 10 yard time.

Finally the 40 yard dash time has no bearing on actual football speed. Example: Chris Johnson recorded a 4.24 at the combine, Patrick Willis ran a 4.49, yet Willis was able to chase Johnson down in the open field.

On 1 play when the guy was cutting back...
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Johnson was not cutting back on the play I have in mind. He was running down the sideline and Willis came from the middle of the field to chase him down and push him out of bounds.
As was stated during the combine broadcast, most teams use the unofficial times as recorded by their own scouts because they don't necessarily trust the "official" time. All in all, the official time doesn't mean much.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Johnson was not cutting back on the play I have in mind. He was running down the sideline and Willis came from the middle of the field to chase him down and push him out of bounds.

If you are on the sideline you are boxed in on one side. Therefore you are constrained on speed by that boxing in. And one play doesn't mean jack. I can run down Chris Johnson on 1 play in the season. But I can't at least 99.999999% of the time and neither can anybody else in the open field.