There are 55 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

All four top OTs gone by #10, which OL then?

All four top OTs gone by #10, which OL then?

Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by ninertico:
If Haden gets past Cleveland, there's a good possibility he will land to us. I didn't see anybody mention whether they would prefer Haden over Spiller for example at #13.

If Haden gets picked before we do, then I would say Spiller and then Iupati or Graham or trade back. In this draft we have the ability to take two players at the top of their respective positions:
Haden, CB--"#1 NFL Corner"--Mike Mayock
Spiller, RB/RS Two for one deal there!
Trent Williams, RT--"Pro Bowl potential"--Mike Mayock
Mike Iupati, OG--"Pro Bowl potential"--Mike Mayock
Brandon Graham, 3-4 pass rusher--Dominated the SB!

I wouldn't be mad with those two beautiful OLs in the first!

Still, that is one solid list!

If Haden is there he has to be the pick.

I disagree, let's say we take Haden at 13 there's no guarantee he'll start over Clements & Spencer as a rookie. Meaning we most likley will get little production from a very high pick.

If we take Spiller the sky is the limit as far as production goes. Were talking rushing yds, receiving yds & big plays on special teams. That sounds a lot more apealing to me then what ever contribution Haden could make as a nickel corner.

I'm sure Haden will become a great NFL player, but I don't see him keeping any OC's up late at night right away. On the other hand Spiller will instantly terrify DC's across the league, they will have to account for him every time he's on the field. If we were still rebuilding it would be a different story, but we need to win NOW.
Originally posted by GMniner805:
If Haden gets past Cleveland, there's a good possibility he will land to us. I didn't see anybody mention whether they would prefer Haden over Spiller for example at #13.

If Haden gets picked before we do, then I would say Spiller and then Iupati or Graham or trade back. In this draft we have the ability to take two players at the top of their respective positions:

I disagree, let's say we take Haden at 13 there's no guarantee he'll start over Clements & Spencer as a rookie. Meaning we most likley will get little production from a very high pick.

If we take Spiller the sky is the limit as far as production goes. Were talking rushing yds, receiving yds & big plays on special teams. That sounds a lot more apealing to me then what ever contribution Haden could make as a nickel corner.

I'm sure Haden will become a great NFL player, but I don't see him keeping any OC's up late at night right away. On the other hand Spiller will instantly terrify DC's across the league, they will have to account for him every time he's on the field. If we were still rebuilding it would be a different story, but we need to win NOW.

I agree with all on all your points. However, you did overlook the fact that good/great CBs are really difficult to come by. On the other hand RBs come and go. Even ones that are as explosive as Spiller. Think of it this way: would you go Haden/McCluster or Spiller/Robinson. I personally would prefer the former. But that is just my opinion.
Originally posted by glorydayz:
We used to get all of our O-linemen in the later rounds, so why not try it again since you have a new Oline coach from our old school coaching philosophy?

Does this really seem like a good idea to you? Do you like losing and having a poor O?
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
The beauty of this draft for us is that one of the OT will make it to us at #16/#17 if we decide to go Spiller or Haden at #13. It really will play out perfectly for us as Bulaga/Williams or Campbell will be there for us with our second pick.
U
Originally posted by YouGotGored:

I agree with all on all your points. However, you did overlook the fact that good/great CBs are really difficult to come by. On the other hand RBs come and go. Even ones that are as explosive as Spiller. Think of it this way: would you go Haden/McCluster or Spiller/Robinson. I personally would prefer the former. But that is just my opinion.

Definitely agree that great cb's are tough to come by, but players of Spiller's calibre aren't easy to find either. We already have a pro bowler in Clements plus two young promising guys in Brown & Spencer, so in my opinion Spiller fills more needs.

On a side note I would love the addition of Haden, I just don't agree he HAS to be the pick.. Assuming hes even available at 13.
U
Originally posted by YouGotGored:

Definitely agree that great cb's are tough to come by, but players of Spiller's calibre aren't easy to find either. We already have a pro bowler in Clements plus two young promising guys in Brown & Spencer, so in my opinion Spiller fills more needs.

On a side note I would love the addition of Haden, I just don't agree he HAS to be the pick.. Assuming hes even available at 13.

Clements has a huge contract and is NOT a pro bowler any longer. In fact, there is no guarantee he will be a 49er next year although I believe he will be. Haden is VERY good. He is a better talent than Spencer and Brown and will immediatley make an impact in my opinion. Lock down corners are just much more valuable than running backs with much longer careers. With all that in mind, I think that Haden is absolutley the right pick at 13. I like Spiller a lot but there isnt a chance in hell I would take him over Haden.
I'm becoming more convinced that the top four OT's WILL be gone by #13. With the Redskins, Chiefs, Seahawks, Raiders and Bills all needing OT's the run will start no later than #4. Nine picks later we'll likely be left with worst of the best . . . which isn't what the first round is about.

If that's the case I'd like to come out of the first with Iupati and a playmaker or a defensive stud and then target Kyle Calloway at RT in the 3rd.
  • KRS-1
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by mayo63:
The beauty of this draft for us is that one of the OT will make it to us at #16/#17 if we decide to go Spiller or Haden at #13. It really will play out perfectly for us as Bulaga/Williams or Campbell will be there for us with our second pick.

Miss Cleo is that you ? I wouldn't be so sure, teams could trade up trying to hop in front of both us and Pittsburgh fearing we will both be looking at OT's.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
I'm becoming more convinced that the top four OT's WILL be gone by #13. With the Redskins, Chiefs, Seahawks, Raiders and Bills all needing OT's the run will start no later than #4. Nine picks later we'll likely be left with worst of the best . . . which isn't what the first round is about.

If that's the case I'd like to come out of the first with Iupati and a playmaker or a defensive stud and then target Kyle Calloway at RT in the 3rd.

Yeah, I agree if all are gone we have to come away with at least a top guard(Iupati would be my choice), Spiller, a corner or pass rushing OLB. Then going Calloway in the 3rd would make sense. I like your thinking.

[ Edited by mayo63 on Feb 20, 2010 at 11:59:42 ]
Originally posted by mayo63:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

Yeah, I agree if all are gone we have to come away with at least a top guard(Iupati would be my choice), Spiller, a corner or pass rushing OLB. Then going Calloway in the 3rd would make sense. I like your thinking.

Nice.
Earlier, I would've said Campbell, hands-down, but I've learned Charles Brown excels at zone blocking, which Coach Solari will be integrating into the OL this off-season. So, Brown might be the right pick for RT...Campbell's a physical specimen, a la Vernon, but some questions are there WRT his health and work ethic.
Quote:
NFL Network's Mike Mayock believes there could be four offensive tackles drafted in the first nine picks this year.

Mayock also believes six offensive tackles will go in the first round overall, which means there wouldn't be much to choose from in the second round. Mayock has fast-rising Iowa OT Brian Bulaga rated as the one of the top-five players in the entire draft, along with Oklahoma State's Russell Okung.

http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=5693
I do not mind the 49ers reaching in order to get a player they want and know can succeed.

2nd
Spiller!