Not a member? Register Now!

Iupati over Spikes?

Iupati over Spikes?

• smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
Originally posted by smileyman:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Give me Anthony Davis with 1a and Mike Iupati with 1b.

Iupati in the middle of the first is too high. He's the top ranked guard on the board, but he should still only go in the last part of the first or the first part of the second.

I would go Davis or Williams with 1a, trade 1b down for an extra 2nd and get Iupati with 1b.

Disagree here. Iupati is exactly what this team needs in a monster, nasty OG. The guy is 6"5", 330lbs an is a road grader. 3rd and short? Run it behind this behemoth and you'll convert your 3rd downs. From the problems we've been having in that department alone makes his worth as the 2nd 1st round pick.

I love Iupati too, but draft history says middle of the first is too high for a guard.

Here's a list of the first guards picked in the last 10 years.

2009--Andy Levitre, Bills 2nd round pick 19
2008--Brandon Albert, KC 1st round pick 15
2007--Ben Grubbs, Ravens 1st round pick 29
2006--Davin Joseph, Bucs, 1st round pick 23
2005--Logan Mankins, Patriots, 1st round pick 32
2004--Vernon Carey, Dolphins, 1st round pick 19
2003--Eric Steinbach, Bengals, 2nd round pick 1
2002--Kendall Simmons, Steelers, 1st round pick 32
2001--Steve Hutchinson, Seahawks, 1st round pick 17
2000--Travis Claridge, Falcons, 2nd round pick 6

The obvious stars in that list are Logan Mankins and Steve Hutchinson. The highest pick of a guard in the past 10 years has been at number 15 and that was as much for his ability to play LT as LG. (The Chiefs now have him playing LT).
After watching Idaho's bowl game tonight I would love to get Iupati!

Iupati in the middle of the first is too high. He's the top ranked guard on the board, but he should still only go in the last part of the first or the first part of the second.

I would go Davis or Williams with 1a, trade 1b down for an extra 2nd and get Iupati with 1b.

Disagree here. Iupati is exactly what this team needs in a monster, nasty OG. The guy is 6"5", 330lbs an is a road grader. 3rd and short? Run it behind this behemoth and you'll convert your 3rd downs. From the problems we've been having in that department alone makes his worth as the 2nd 1st round pick.

I love Iupati too, but draft history says middle of the first is too high for a guard.

The obvious stars in that list are Logan Mankins and Steve Hutchinson. The highest pick of a guard in the past 10 years has been at number 15 and that was as much for his ability to play LT as LG. (The Chiefs now have him playing LT).

Who cares about draft history! Sebastian Janikowski was picked 16th overall for Pete's sake. If the player is both a need and the BPA you pick him! There's no rule about where to draft players, especially if this guy turns out to be a multiple probowl pick.
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A

Who cares about draft history! Sebastian Janikowski was picked 16th overall for Pete's sake. If the player is both a need and the BPA you pick him! There's no rule about where to draft players, especially if this guy turns out to be a multiple probowl pick.

By the freakin' Raiders. Do you really want to base your drafting choices off what Al Davis does?
I hope we get Iupati with our 2nd 1st round pick especially if the rams draft suh.(we still would beat the crap out of the rams but i think iupati will be a probowler through out his career)
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A

Now if he can play LT which I've seen a few places say he might, I'd be all for grabbing him with 1b.
Originally posted by Fincham11:
After watching Idaho's bowl game tonight I would love to get Iupati!

he was beastin out there !!!! i'm all for trading down and getting him in the 1st round !
Why is this even a question, there is no competition. Id prefer Iupati by a mile, id also take McClain over Spikes anyway but every time i see Iupati the more i want to draft him. Just watch some film on that player and you would be sold on him in an instant. He is the player we need on that oline.
  • Stuuk
  • Veteran
I think Iupati's performance will give him the edge over Spikes also Draftniks on the internet seem to be down on Spikes at the moment, of course thats all subject to change with workouts/combine etc.

From Twitter
From Scott Wright (NFL Draft Countdown)
DraftCountdown Love Idaho OG Mike Iupati. What a blend of size and athleticism. I'm not so sure he couldn't play left tackle in the NFL. 1st Round talent.

But if he is likely to be gone by our 2nd pick, which seems probable, and if we can't put together a trade to move down just enough not to risk losing him, why not take him?

We have a serious need and he is the prospect most likely to be able to start next year. And by our second pick he will surely be one of the BPA's

Just because no one has done it before does not provide justification.
  • ptinerocket
  • Info N/A
If we trade down we risk not be able to get him at all. i'd rather just use our second 1st rounnder on this beast
Remember the year when Branden Albert came out and all the draft gurus got nuts over him beeing able to play OT in the NFL ? I think Mike Mayock had him as his 1st OT on his list. I predict, that something similar will happen with Iupati again this year. He won't be the #1 OT this year on the draft guys lists, but they will have him in their top 15 after a strong and athletic combine.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Can we take an OT with our first 1st and Iupati with our second? Or is that overkill?
Iupati is a first rounder and Spikes is more than likely a second rounder, so...I think that should settle the issue.

The better comparison would be Iupati or Bulaga (if he comes out) or Campbell. These are probably the three guys the team will look at to bulk up their OL.

I doubt the team is even interested in MLB's.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Mad, do you see them taking an OT and OG with the first two picks? What I'm asking is would they take say Williams at #12 then Iupati at #15 or something?