LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 270 users in the forums

Iupati over Spikes?

Iupati over Spikes?

In Walter football's latest mock draft (12/24), he had us taking G Mike Iupati with ILB Brandon Spikes still on the board. Don't get me wrong I would be very happy to get Iupati in the second round (which we probably won't seeing as how he will most likely go in the first). He is a very talented player at a position of need (especially if Baas walks), but I don't know if I would take him over Spikes. I see Spikes as a first round talent and would love to see him and Willis crushing people for the next decade. It would also be cool to see Takeo grooming his cousin to take over his position after next season.

So if that's how it went down on draft day and Iupati and Spikes were on the board for our second round pick, who would you choose?
both of them should be on the board with our second pick and i would take lupanthi the draft that wouls help us most is

1a Trent Williams (or another OT)
1b Iupathi
2 Gilyard
I'd be shocked if either were on the board for our second let alone both. However, to answer question I'd go OL which I see as greater need.
For years we've been hearing that we need to fix the Oline. Let's fix it w/ some high quality players and get it done.
Originally posted by ishkabibel:
I'd be shocked if either were on the board for our second let alone both. However, to answer question I'd go OL which I see as greater need.

If there was a significant difference in calibre, it may be worth thinking about. But Lupati is a great prospect and the need on the O line is overwhelming. He would be a good pick
Sure, I woudn't be bummed if we passed on Spikes. Iupati could be our answer at OG or even RT. Which ever position he lands at, he'd be a starter by the end of his rookie season.
Think I would want Iupati in that scenario.
i like spikes and think he would play great next to willis after his cousin retires. this is tough, i wouldn't mind either
Gotta go with the bigger need in Iupati... Although Spikes backing up Spikes would be pretty sweet. I honestly don't think Iupati slides to us... The walter football draft -- if it comes true -- would be an absolute dream draft
Iupati is one of the best guard prospects in some time. I'm a big fan of Spikes but we don't have to spend a first round pick on a guy who will mostly be taking up blockers so Willis can make plays.

If the question is Iupati or McClain then it's McClain easily. But Spikes has fallen off a bit and doesn't have the versatility of McClain so Iupati easily.

Iupati is one of the best guard prospects in some time. I'm a big fan of Spikes but we don't have to spend a first round pick on a guy who will mostly be taking up blockers so Willis can make plays.

If the question is Iupati or McClain then it's McClain easily. But Spikes has fallen off a bit and doesn't have the versatility of McClain so Iupati easily.
right now we need Oline much more then LBers so its a no brainer for our team.
I'd greatly prefer Iupati over Spikes.
No question ... Iupati... He has the nasty attitude you want in a OL
A year ago I would have jumped for joy for B. Spikes but after watching Florida's D this year I have to say HELL Mother Loving NO. Therefore, due to elimination I would say yes to Iupati. although, I have yet to watch a live game of his. I'm just basing my opinion off of what I've read from so called experts on football sites. Plus, O-Line would get much needed help.
Share 49ersWebzone