LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 244 users in the forums

Iupati over Spikes?

Iupati over Spikes?

Originally posted by mayo63:
Mad, do you see them taking an OT and OG with the first two picks? What I'm asking is would they take say Williams at #12 then Iupati at #15 or something?

I think two OL in the first round would be overkill in the mind of the team. However, if Williams and Iupati are on the board when they pick, I'd be very interested if I am the GM. You are, in essence, locking in one of the better OL in the NFL for the next decade.

At the end of the day, I believe the Panthers and Niners will both win on Sunday, which would probably put them in the 14th and 18th overall pick area, and I think Williams will be long gone before 14, and Iupati gone before 18th.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Dec 31, 2009 at 6:43 AM ]
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
Count me as one of those that wouldn't be upset with best OT available and Iupati in the 1st round, although I'll flip-flop on the ideal scenario over the next 4 months.
Iupati is only down (a little) on draft projections because he's a guard. However, he's most likely going to play OT in the NFL. The biggest reason that guards struggle with sliding out to OT is that they lack to footwork to effectively work in space. That certainly won't be an issue with Iupati. He has excellent footwork. Plus, he doesn't look like he'll have any issues handling power moves, such as a bull rush.

Scot seems to like mobile and/or versatile O-lineman. Staley ran ~4.8 and was a converted TE. Snyder was a productive starter at LG and LT. Rachal has experience at both OT and OG and has good footwork. He's just raw and needs time to develop. Baas was a standout OC and is developing into a productive LG. Iupati's ability to play multiple positions will probably make him very appealing to Scot.

I know it all depends on the coaching staff at the Senior Bowl, but I'd be shocked if we didn't see Iupati playing some OT. It's not uncommon. We even saw Herman Johnson playing a little RT last year.

By the time the draft rolls around, he should be a legit OT prospect and possibly someone that gets drafted much higher than people thought he would. He could work his way into the Top-15 by the time it's all said and done. He's just too good to be considered purely as an OG.
[ Edited by strickac on Dec 31, 2009 at 9:53 AM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
He would fall in right about where we'll be picking so it should work out nicely. From what I've seen of him he should have no problem converting to a RT. This should really work out for us when all is said and done. I don't think we should give up on Baas and this way we can concentrate on a pass rusher or playmaker with our second 1st.
[ Edited by mayo63 on Dec 31, 2009 at 7:11 AM ]
Originally posted by mayo63:
He would fall in right about where we'll be picking so it should work out nicely. From what I've seen of him he should have no problem converting to a RT. This should really work out for us when all is said and done. I don't think we should give up on Baas and this way we can concentrate on a pass rusher or playmaker with our second 1st.

I'm beginning to think the same way now
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Spikes, not a big fan of taking any guard top 15. Now a tackle is a different story.
I just saw the youtube video of Iupati's pancake of Ray Maualuga (with Ray running forward at full speed) and I lol'ed.
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
I just saw the youtube video of Iupati's pancake of Ray Maualuga (with Ray running forward at full speed) and I lol'ed.

hook a brethren with that link. i wanna see
It sounds like Iupati could play RT. So if we got him with our 1st pick and then Dunlop/Graham with the second pick?
Originally posted by Negrodamus:

You want syrup with that pancake?!

• smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Negrodamus:

You want syrup with that pancake?!

The sweet thing about that block is how easy Iupati made it look.
Anthony Davis and Iupati in the first!!
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Anthony Davis and Iupati in the first!!

OK, but only if Haden is off the board...
Ok, smack me up side the head. I got to see Iupati play during my lunch hour yesterday and compared to the first time I saw him play he looked like he could play tackle this time.
Unless Spikes is going to send over 2 Brazilian models to my house every Sunday, there is no way I take him over Iupati.

I think my Iupati/Spiller first round obsession is getting out of hand...

Happy New Year zoners!
Share 49ersWebzone