LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 279 users in the forums

Iupati over Spikes?

Iupati over Spikes?

We should draft a RT and spend some money on some REAL Guards
ILB isn't a priority, whereas OG is (since Baas will be an unrestricted FA with a CBA). Why is this even a poll?
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
ILB isn't a priority, whereas OG is (since Baas will be an unrestricted FA with a CBA). Why is this even a poll?

Originally posted by Negrodamus:

I was assuming that there was a good possibility that Baas is re-signed (which there is.) So to make this more interesting, let's say that Baas is re-signed at a resonable salary; would that change who you pick at all?
Originally posted by Superbowl09:

I was assuming that there was a good possibility that Baas is re-signed (which there is.) So to make this more interesting, let's say that Baas is re-signed at a resonable salary; would that change who you pick at all?

No. I am not convinced about either of our starting guards. I would still take Lupati and let them all fight it out in camp.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:

No. I am not convinced about either of our starting guards. I would still take Lupati and let them all fight it out in camp.

Baas being resigned really has to do with the CBA not being renewed - which would make him a RFA. A cheap resigning.

That doesn't mean that LG is not an issue. Iupati is a blue chip prospect at OG that has potential to play OT. This year's version of B. Albert (Chiefs) perhaps. If you have an opportunity to take him, it completely dominates over a guy like Spikes. Typically, you can find legit TEDs late in the draft for the 3-4 defense.

Iupati over Spikes.

LT: Staley/Sims
LG: Iupati/Wragge
OC: Heitmann/Wallace
RG: Baas/Rachal
RT: Williams/Snyder

Very nice.
Originally posted by GEEK:

Baas being resigned really has to do with the CBA not being renewed - which would make him a RFA. A cheap resigning.

That doesn't mean that LG is not an issue. Iupati is a blue chip prospect at OG that has potential to play OT. This year's version of B. Albert (Chiefs) perhaps. If you have an opportunity to take him, it completely dominates over a guy like Spikes. Typically, you can find legit TEDs late in the draft for the 3-4 defense.

Iupati over Spikes.

Very nice.

I must admit that O-line does look very good. And I think whoever wins the battle between Baas and Rachal will benefit a lot from the competition.

Iupati over Spikes.

Very nice.

All we'll need then is a new O-Line Coach.
A year ago I would have jumped for joy for B. Spikes but after watching Florida's D this year I have to say HELL Mother Loving NO. Therefore, due to elimination I would say yes to Iupati. although, I have yet to watch a live game of his. I'm just basing my opinion off of what I've read from so called experts on football sites. Plus, O-Line would get much needed help.

This depends on if we can snag Mankins from the Pats. Since I don't see them losing him, going OL heavy the first round wouldn't be an impossibility.

The best defense is a good offense. We have a strong defense, imagine if they had a lead and only had to see the field for 20 minutes b/c our run game has been established...

A mixture of Iupati and Williams would do it, but unfortunately I don't see Iupati lasting to the 2nd, and the guy from Illinois is not the right answer (don't need to pull another Baas pick, which was the result of Mankins being picked by the Pats the pick before in 2005 Draft).

My ideal look would be to pick up a good OG in FA and picking up Williams and Haden, though if McClain is available...
Tough question. I wouldn't be disappointed either way, or with one of the tackles and Rolando McClain. Iupati would be hard to pass up, but if we don't get an ILB this year we're going to be desperate next year. If we keep Pashos and Baas I'd take a tackle and either Spikes or McClain. I lean toward McClain.

If Joe Haden is available and a top RT with our first two picks I would be very dissapointed if we drafted either of the other two.

Iupati over Spikes.

Very nice.

OC: Heitmann/Baas
RG: Rachal/Snyder
RT: Williams/Boone

That is the way I would rather see have it.
Give me Anthony Davis with 1a and Mike Iupati with 1b.
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by SF69ers:

Iupati in the middle of the first is too high. He's the top ranked guard on the board, but he should still only go in the last part of the first or the first part of the second.

I would go Davis or Williams with 1a, trade 1b down for an extra 2nd and get Iupati with 1b.
Originally posted by smileyman:
Originally posted by SF69ers:

Iupati in the middle of the first is too high. He's the top ranked guard on the board, but he should still only go in the last part of the first or the first part of the second.

I would go Davis or Williams with 1a, trade 1b down for an extra 2nd and get Iupati with 1b.

Disagree here. Iupati is exactly what this team needs in a monster, nasty OG. The guy is 6"5", 330lbs an is a road grader. 3rd and short? Run it behind this behemoth and you'll convert your 3rd downs. From the problems we've been having in that department alone makes his worth as the 2nd 1st round pick.
Share 49ersWebzone